Affliction MMA Events

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

Affliction MMA Events

#1 Postby ronnie kray » Wed May 14, 2008 2:10 am

i have been hesitating to post this because i didn't want to post a rumor, but it looks now like it is pretty much set now. Affliction Clothing Company has put together their first MMA event to be on PPV. it is going to be called BANNED and will be held July 19 2008 in Anaheim, California. and they have put together a pretty good card.

* Fedor Emelianenko vs Tim Sylvia
* Josh Barnett vs Pedro Rizzo
* Ben Rothwell vs Andre "The Pit Bull" Arlovski
* Aleksander Emelianenko vs Paul Buentello
* Matt Lindland vs Fabio Negao
* Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs Mike Whitehead


a couple things still bother me. one, how did they get Aleksander Emilianenko on the card? i had heard he had been trying to get a visa to fight in america for so long, but he couldn't because of his criminal record (he served 3 yrs in a russian gulag for armed robbery). somehow Affliction got him in. and the other thing that bothers me is that there is no mention of this on Affliction's website. i would figure this event would have it's own website by now. after all, if this is all true, that means it has the 5 of the top 10 ranked heavyweights in the world competing!

but i wouldn't post a rumor just because i heard it from a friend. there are other sources:

** Adrenaline MMA website confirms Tim Sylvia and Ben Rothwell will be competing (they are both signed to Adrenaline MMA contracts).
** the last 3 paragraphs of this report state that Elite XC is not letting their fighters wear any Affliction gear at their May 31st event, because of conflict of interest, Affliction now being their competition.
** one of the fighters scheduled to fight, Ben Rothwell, himself posted on a message board that he is fighting Andrei Arlovski.
** here is an article about Affliction not being able to land a TV deal with Mark Cuban and HDNet, but still set for PPV.
** and finally here is an interview on Inside MMA, where Josh Barnett (scheduled to fight Pedro Rizzo) and Tom Atencio (VP of Affliction) are telling the world it is a done deal.

so there you have it. hopefully we'll have some official word directly from the Affliction website soon.
Last edited by ronnie kray on Sun May 31, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -

User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

#2 Postby ronnie kray » Tue May 20, 2008 12:56 am

okay, it's official! the website is up. the rumored card is mostly true. Aleks Emiliamenko is not listed, maybe the visa problems i talked about earlier. Ben Rothwell is confirmed, but his opponent is to be announced, so Andrei Arlovski is not officially part of the line up yet. other than that the rumors were accurate. Fedor, Babalu, Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, Tim Sylvia, all on the same card!

here is the website:
www.AfflictionBanned.com
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -

pazios2002
Elephant
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#3 Postby pazios2002 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:23 am

ronnie kray wrote:okay, it's official! the website is up. the rumored card is mostly true. Aleks Emiliamenko is not listed, maybe the visa problems i talked about earlier. Ben Rothwell is confirmed, but his opponent is to be announced, so Andrei Arlovski is not officially part of the line up yet. other than that the rumors were accurate. Fedor, Babalu, Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, Tim Sylvia, all on the same card!

here is the website:
www.AfflictionBanned.com


um isnt that the other Buffer doing the voice over. The ready to rumble guy. Isnt his brother with the UFC. I guess that he learned from his brother that MMA is the wave of the future. He jumped on this train. :lol:


Is it giong to be in a cage or a ring? Fedor said a while back that he wanted to have some warm ups in a cage so he was ready for the change. :?
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

#4 Postby ronnie kray » Wed May 21, 2008 1:02 am

initial word says it is gonna be a ring.

Affliction held a press conference today. they officially announced the card and several fighters were there in person for interviews. among the announcements were that Aleksander Emilianenko is indeed confirmed to fight on July 19, Affliction has just signed Antonio Rogerio "Lil Nog" Nogueira, and that first hour of the pay per view would be broadcast live on FSN for free.

Here is a short clipof the press conference.
Here is an article about it.

Image

i still feel... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RANDY!
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -

pazios2002
Elephant
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#5 Postby pazios2002 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:26 am

ronnie kray wrote:initial word says it is gonna be a ring.

Affliction held a press conference today. they officially announced the card and several fighters were there in person for interviews. among the announcements were that Aleksander Emilianenko is indeed confirmed to fight on July 19, Affliction has just signed Antonio Rogerio "Lil Nog" Nogueira, and that first hour of the pay per view would be broadcast live on FSN for free.

Here is a short clipof the press conference.
Here is an article about it.

Image

i still feel... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RANDY!


yes it should be Randy but this onw will be good too. I like the height difference.
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

dontxhide
Gorilla
Posts: 667
Age: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:40 pm
Location: Somewhere eating.
Contact:

#6 Postby dontxhide » Wed May 21, 2008 10:23 am

God I hate Tim Sylvia. Go Fedor!
I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. ~Bruce Lee

User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

#7 Postby ronnie kray » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:04 pm

OFFICIAL!

Andrei Arlovski has signed with Affliction and will be facing Ben Rothwell on July 19.

also pretty big news, Donald Trump is now backing Affliction.

check out this quote from the above article:

"We'll probably be asking Tito to come along also," Trump said. "We have many, many great fighters, but we'll be asking Tito to come along."
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -

BJJVegan
Manatee
Posts: 369
Age: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Eugene, OR
Contact:

#8 Postby BJJVegan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:02 pm

I was wondering what happened to him. Looks like affliction may be a good company. Watch out UFC

pazios2002
Elephant
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#9 Postby pazios2002 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:24 pm

ehow much longer on Randy's Contract. I thought it was only 8 months at the time of his retirement., I would love to see him join up there too.
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

BJJVegan
Manatee
Posts: 369
Age: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Eugene, OR
Contact:

#10 Postby BJJVegan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 pm

pazios2002 wrote:ehow much longer on Randy's Contract. I thought it was only 8 months at the time of his retirement., I would love to see him join up there too.


His contract is up sometime in July :) and fedor himself said he wanted that fight so it should happen!

I was thinking about Randy's whole contract and situation and I was wondering why he didn't just do what BJ Penn did back when he won the welterweight title. Didn't BJ basically just break his contract obligations by fighting over seas. So zuffa just let him go. Seams like that would have been an easier route.

pazios2002
Elephant
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#11 Postby pazios2002 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:03 am

BJJVegan wrote:
pazios2002 wrote:ehow much longer on Randy's Contract. I thought it was only 8 months at the time of his retirement., I would love to see him join up there too.


His contract is up sometime in July :) and fedor himself said he wanted that fight so it should happen!

I was thinking about Randy's whole contract and situation and I was wondering why he didn't just do what BJ Penn did back when he won the welterweight title. Didn't BJ basically just break his contract obligations by fighting over seas. So zuffa just let him go. Seams like that would have been an easier route.


I believe that is exactly what happenned. However I think that the contracts that were created after that , and I dont know if Randy current contract was penned after the BJ situation, were created to prevent that.
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

Re: Affliction MMA Event

#12 Postby ronnie kray » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:06 pm

i'm so ready for this event next week. of course UFC has put on it's own event to counter Affliction. but for me, Affliction just has too many top heavyweights to pass up.

here is a new promo for the main event.
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -

pazios2002
Elephant
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: Affliction MMA Event

#13 Postby pazios2002 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:16 am

this is the first day that have seen promos on tv for the affliction fight. TBS, Versus and FSN All in one day. :lol:
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

Re: Affliction MMA Event

#14 Postby ronnie kray » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:31 am

new site is up...


AFFLICTION: DAY OF RECKONING
Oct 11th
Andrei Arlovski vs Josh Barnett
Vladamir Matyushenko vs Antonio Rogerio Noguiera
Dan Lauzon vs Chris Horodecki
Jay Hierion vs Drew Fickett
Last edited by ronnie kray on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -

User avatar
ronnie kray
Gorilla
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Texas Bordertown

Re: Affliction MMA Event

#15 Postby ronnie kray » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:11 pm

well as you all know by now, the above event was postponed. it seems to be back on track and scheduled for Jan 24th.

Image

Day Of Reckoning
Matt Lindland vs Vitor Belfort
Josh Barnett vs Gilber Yvel
Vladimir Matyushenko vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Fedor Emilianenko vs Andrei Arlovski

normally the odds would be heavlily against anyone fighting Fedor. i would say his is still the favorite, but with Fedor's recent loss in World Combat Sambo Championship, his fight against Andrei Arlovski just got a bit more interesting.
"we must become the change we wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi -


Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests