Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: swimming advice needed
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Newburgh, NY
I can swim ok - never 'strong' though. Looking for any tips... I was reading a friends blog about how he's going to start doing laps in the morning for an hour and it sounded like a good plan to add some extra training for me. I was thinking of maybe getting a trainer for one session to make sure I'm in form. I have bad joints and the shoulders often give me trouble - especially hyper-extending during swimming. I know I could probably work on form. Any advice from seasoned swimmers is welcome.

_________________
me: http://davidmanley.com
my vegan vid blog: http://myvegantribe.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:17 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 pm
Posts: 134
Location: phx, az
i'm assuming you'll be doing free style, so here's a long answer. biggest thing if you have bad shoulders is to keep your elbows high. you want to make sure you are completing a full motion with each stroke. you almost want to rotate the shoulder of the extended arm into the water at the beginning of each stroke so the body rotates and isn't static during the stroke. also, when you pull, after your arm passes your neck, make sure it is almost perpendicular to your body and accelerate your hand towards your inner thigh, even slap it for a while to get the feel of it. then when you recover the arm, lift your elbow high to the point where your fingertips are barely in contact with the water as you recover your hand to the starting position of the stroke. also, keep up a strong kick. goodluck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Newburgh, NY
joninvegaz wrote:
i'm assuming you'll be doing free style, so here's a long answer. biggest thing if you have bad shoulders is to keep your elbows high. you want to make sure you are completing a full motion with each stroke. you almost want to rotate the shoulder of the extended arm into the water at the beginning of each stroke so the body rotates and isn't static during the stroke. also, when you pull, after your arm passes your neck, make sure it is almost perpendicular to your body and accelerate your hand towards your inner thigh, even slap it for a while to get the feel of it. then when you recover the arm, lift your elbow high to the point where your fingertips are barely in contact with the water as you recover your hand to the starting position of the stroke. also, keep up a strong kick. goodluck


Thank you Jon! Much appreciated.

_________________
me: http://davidmanley.com
my vegan vid blog: http://myvegantribe.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:24 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 3395
Swimming is very technical. It was one of the toughest sports I've ever learned. 2 yrs ago I couldn't even float on water. When I took lessons, then hired a coach.
I had a total immersion class where they actually video tape you swimming and you get to see what needs work. (very cool) So then in 4 months I ended up swimming between 2-3 kms 5-6 days a week.
How well can you swim? And what distance can you swim right now?
Reason for asking you this. Is maybe you just need someone to guide you and refresh your memory.
I started scratch 2 yrs ago so I needed all that help.
But if your goal is to be a strong efficent swimmer then I would diffidently suggest hiring a coach.
Good luck !

_________________
Robert wrote:
My knee muscles look totally sweet where I'm holding my weiner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:37 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Newburgh, NY
Tasha wrote:
Swimming is very technical. It was one of the toughest sports I've ever learned. 2 yrs ago I couldn't even float on water. When I took lessons, then hired a coach.
I had a total immersion class where they actually video tape you swimming and you get to see what needs work. (very cool) So then in 4 months I ended up swimming between 2-3 kms 5-6 days a week.
How well can you swim? And what distance can you swim right now?
Reason for asking you this. Is maybe you just need someone to guide you and refresh your memory.
I started scratch 2 yrs ago so I needed all that help.
But if your goal is to be a strong efficent swimmer then I would diffidently suggest hiring a coach.
Good luck !


Thanks Tasha - I have decent cardio ability but, swimming is another story. I've never kept it up long enough to know my distance. That's another reason for a trainer - know when and how to rest - I guess you pace yourself like when doing cardio. I can float and swim but - never learned to dive [not a priority] and still plug my nose when first going under - just my initial reaction and tough to break old habits. I almost drowned when I was 4 so - that's where the fear began. So - yeah - the goal is to be able to just do laps and maybe become a strong, efficient swimmer while I'm at it.

_________________
me: http://davidmanley.com
my vegan vid blog: http://myvegantribe.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:45 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 3395
Aw that's really cool. I had red books on swimming but it didn't helped.
It only help me become a better swimming when I was getting tought.
But everyone's different.
Like some people just pick things up right away and some people have to work extra hard. I'm one of those who had to work extra hard at everything.
And you're probably one of those people who pick it up right away. I hate those people :lol: just kidding.
Also I just wanted to say good on you for getting up early in the morning.
It's really difficult especially jumping in the cold first thing in the morning. But you'll feel so great when it's over.

_________________
Robert wrote:
My knee muscles look totally sweet where I'm holding my weiner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:56 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Newburgh, NY
Tasha wrote:
Also I just wanted to say good on you for getting up early in the morning. It's really difficult especially jumping in the cold first thing in the morning. But you'll feel so great when it's over.


Lucky for me, my gym's pool is heated :)

_________________
me: http://davidmanley.com
my vegan vid blog: http://myvegantribe.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:03 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 3395
davidmNY wrote:
Tasha wrote:
Also I just wanted to say good on you for getting up early in the morning. It's really difficult especially jumping in the cold first thing in the morning. But you'll feel so great when it's over.


Lucky for me, my gym's pool is heated :)


It's good at first, But It could be bad though.
As your body is warming up.
Unless you're one of those who can take the heat :lol:

_________________
Robert wrote:
My knee muscles look totally sweet where I'm holding my weiner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:28 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:26 am
Posts: 104
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Tasha wrote:
Also I just wanted to say good on you for getting up early in the morning.
It's really difficult especially jumping in the cold first thing in the morning. But you'll feel so great when it's over.


Also, I've found that swimming first thing in the morning, before breakfast, I don't tire so easily. If I've eaten beforehand I feel really lethargic and can do barely 2/3 the distance I would normally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:10 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 3395
Yeah I agree with you :) I feel best swimming on an empty stomach.

_________________
Robert wrote:
My knee muscles look totally sweet where I'm holding my weiner.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group