What to Eat for Recovery?

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

cubby2112
Elephant

#16 Postby cubby2112 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I actually don't eat many grains and haven't for about a year and a half as per Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations. I am thinking about bringing some more such as quinoa, wild rice and other pseudograins into my diet.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

cubby2112
Elephant

#17 Postby cubby2112 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:36 am

Interesting links from Dr. McDougall:
Some stuff on the history of protein research among other things

Vegan Athletics

In the second article, the bodybuilding section starts down a ways.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Marcina
Elephant

#18 Postby Marcina » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 am

cubby2112 wrote:I actually don't eat many grains and haven't for about a year and a half as per Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations. I am thinking about bringing some more such as quinoa, wild rice and other pseudograins into my diet.

Wild rice is good! I love it.

Aaron
Elephant

#19 Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:15 am

One of my latest habits is a fat bowl of quinoa, baked tofu, mustard, avocado, tomato, siracha hot sauce.

Delicious.

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#20 Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 am

cubby2112 wrote:I actually don't eat many grains and haven't for about a year and a half as per Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations. I am thinking about bringing some more such as quinoa, wild rice and other pseudograins into my diet.

I saw a youtube of Fuhrman explaining that he doesn't have a problem with grains, he just recommends that people trying to lose weight not eat them because they are a significant calorie source.

As a vegan, there are some amino acids you just aren't going to get in significant quantities unless you eat whole grains. Your body has some capacity to deal with that, but since this is a body building forum Im guessing people are out for *optimal* nutrition, health, and development.......so....I am mentioning it.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

cubby2112
Elephant

#21 Postby cubby2112 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:49 am

beforewisdom wrote:

I saw a youtube of Fuhrman explaining that he doesn't have a problem with grains, he just recommends that people trying to lose weight not eat them because they are a significant calorie source.

As a vegan, there are some amino acids you just aren't going to get in significant quantities unless you eat whole grains. Your body has some capacity to deal with that, but since this is a body building forum Im guessing people are out for *optimal* nutrition, health, and development.......so....I am mentioning it.

Yeah, I actually just realized Wednesday that I had misread that part of his dietary guidelines when I was reading Eat to Live. I was considering adding some despite his recommendations, but now I guess I won't be going against them if I do. I am going to pick up some quinoa today, I love that stuff.
Cubby's Fitness Log

-offense74

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”