What to Eat for Recovery?

DV

"But muscles don’t need much protein, researchers say. Twenty grams is as much as a 176-pound man’s muscles can take. Women, who are smaller and have smaller muscles even compared to their body sizes, need less."

I love this article!!! For me, I tend to get very overwhelmed with the pre/post workout meals. The timing kills me!!! Now, I'm of the mindset that if I'm feeding my body properly throughout the day, then everything else will just fall into place.

Training is not complicated. I've been reminded of this over and over again in my activities.

Go ask the guy who is ripped and big at the gym and chances are that he follows the bodybuilding magazines recommendations completely. Weird lifting schemes, 500g of whey per day with a touch of casein in the evening since it's 'slower'.

But as everyone knows a control group is needed to evaluate the causality of muscle and the ridiculous advice guided towards bodybuilders and other athletes. So anyone up for asking the guy that goes to the gym year out and in and nothing happens? Chances are that more often than not he does the exact same thing. The only causality I've seen is effort and consistency in the training. Eat food, train like a beast.

The same thing goes for all sports, I think. Am. football is a really small sport here in Sweden (unfortunately) but I've seen coaches and leaders get constructive with things that make sense in the NFL but not at our level resulting in linemen who knows weird wrestling tricks but don't know what to do with a nosetackle on a 22 dive or receivers who knows weird athletic techniques but don't know where to line up come gameday.

Keep it simple.

I changed my diet recently because of the all the other studies to shoot for around 25 grams of protein per meal instead of 30 like before. It will actually be pretty difficult if I try for less than 25 as I am not a big grain eater, most of my calories come from legumes.

Thanks for the article. Definitely something to think about.

My husband sent me this link recently. I especially like the comment by one physiologist that "as a group, athletes are particularly gullible." Just some food for thought.

I think the same is true for health nuts and veg*ns. You see a lot of things on the web that seem to parrot the mythology of health food producer advertising and diet cult authors.

"....but I eat raw organic bee poop harvested by the Hunzas in mountain spring water!"

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and I'm not a big protein eater, really.

In the morning I have a smoothie and I'll put in some powder that equals to about 8g of protein just for a boost.

After a workout I eat 16g of protein = half a serving of Vega. I always blend it with fruit and some soy or almond milk (a little extra protein too) to get the carbs replenished

I tried eating large amounts of protein and my muscles didn't grow any faster. When I was eating large amounts of protein, I was getting it from food. Eating so much caused me to gain fat as well, which made me look bigger but it wasn't all muscle O.o

Now I'm done trying to feed myself when I'm not hungry just to get more protein. I eat when my body wants food, which is about every 2-3 hours. I don't eat huge amounts anymore and I've had to cut out gluten from my diet. I mostly eat fruits, veggies, and legumes now. I look leaner and still gaining the muscle slowly.. But that's to be expected from me. It's how my body is.

"....but I eat raw organic bee poop harvested by the Hunzas in mountain spring water!"

C'mon, you KNOW that has been proven to build muscle and boost your immune system.

I, like, totally know that. And that's the reason I encourage people to get high colonics - so that they can strip out every last strand of protective colonic mucus and tell themselves that it's undigested food that has been stuck up there for the past 10 years.

I, like, totally know that. And that's the reason I encourage people to get high colonics - so that they can strip out every last strand of protective colonic mucus and tell themselves that it's undigested food that has been stuck up there for the past 10 years.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/563/hahahalulzqj5.jpg

What to eat for recovery. When I saw this topic, my advice was to center on dark green leafy things. Then when I read the link, it was all about carbs, protein, and fats ratios. My way of thinking has changed alot with the Raw Food lifestyle now in my brain data bank. I think of all the free radicals I just let loose in my body with all the work I just did in the gym. And how I need antioxidants and phytonutrients to neutralize the free radicals, and then my body can recoup with proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and vitamin/minerals it needs to repair and rebuild (just a part of recovery).

The article reminds me that quality proteins, carbs, and fats, come into play when you are an elite athlete and want every edge you can get. In my current condition all that stuff would not matter, or be seen as worth while. But getting ready for a show/competition, it starts to really matter. I could only see carb depleting and loading when my bodyfat was real low, and I could actually the muscles filling up and rounding. And even that, you have to experiment and try different things because everybody genetics are different (it is nice to have some ideas in your head to try from reading all the muscle mag advice). You do have to be smart and figure out what does work for you and what doesn't. Otherwise you are just a blind follower.

I found out that glycerin does swell up my veins and muscles for prejuding, but I broke down one time and ate a quart of strawberries after prejudging, and I was even bigger for the evening show! Strawberries taste alot better than a liquidy slimey sugary goo!

Now I know you are charlatan since that is a decidedly non holistic approach that doesn't include the use of nasal cleaning, food combining of any kind, and absolutely no use of essential oils.

Do you LIKE ripping people off and creating devitalized bodies?

I bet you recommend eating grains too!

I actually don't eat many grains and haven't for about a year and a half as per Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations. I am thinking about bringing some more such as quinoa, wild rice and other pseudograins into my diet.

Wild rice is good! I love it.

I actually don't eat many grains and haven't for about a year and a half as per Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations. I am thinking about bringing some more such as quinoa, wild rice and other pseudograins into my diet.

I saw a youtube of Fuhrman explaining that he doesn't have a problem with grains, he just recommends that people trying to lose weight not eat them because they are a significant calorie source.

As a vegan, there are some amino acids you just aren't going to get in significant quantities unless you eat whole grains. Your body has some capacity to deal with that, but since this is a body building forum Im guessing people are out for *optimal* nutrition, health, and development.......so....I am mentioning it.

I saw a youtube of Fuhrman explaining that he doesn't have a problem with grains, he just recommends that people trying to lose weight not eat them because they are a significant calorie source.

As a vegan, there are some amino acids you just aren't going to get in significant quantities unless you eat whole grains. Your body has some capacity to deal with that, but since this is a body building forum Im guessing people are out for *optimal* nutrition, health, and development.......so....I am mentioning it.

Yeah, I actually just realized Wednesday that I had misread that part of his dietary guidelines when I was reading Eat to Live. I was considering adding some despite his recommendations, but now I guess I won't be going against them if I do. I am going to pick up some quinoa today, I love that stuff.