My very first bike shorts

I got a new bicycle recently and have been doing a few short rides close to home. I prefer longer rides, but my butt just couldn't take it.

So, I finally splurged and bought an actual pair of bike shorts with the padding in the seat. They felt funny, when I tried them on. Sort of had the sensation that it must look like a diaper or something from behind, which was weird. So, I bought the pair with the attached skirt, so nobody can see my butt.

Wow, what a difference it made! I did a 20-mile ride yesterday afternoon and am less sore today than I was after the 5-mile rides I was doing before. My legs are actually feeling good, like I probably could have ridden quite a bit longer, but my butt feels like I hit my limit.

So - questions for the cyclists here:

I'm feeling the tenderness at the ischial tuberosities. Is that where I should be sore? Or does that mean I need to change the tilt of my seat? I admit I know nothing about seat adjustments, I just left it the way it was when I brought the bike home from the store.

And - would one of those gel seat covers help? Or would they just shift around and become more of a nuisance than they're worth?

Or is this just something that'll get better in time?

• 2 weeks later...
I got a new bicycle recently and have been doing a few short rides close to home. I prefer longer rides, but my butt just couldn't take it.

So, I finally splurged and bought an actual pair of bike shorts with the padding in the seat. They felt funny, when I tried them on. Sort of had the sensation that it must look like a diaper or something from behind, which was weird. So, I bought the pair with the attached skirt, so nobody can see my butt.

Wow, what a difference it made! I did a 20-mile ride yesterday afternoon and am less sore today than I was after the 5-mile rides I was doing before. My legs are actually feeling good, like I probably could have ridden quite a bit longer, but my butt feels like I hit my limit.

So - questions for the cyclists here:

I'm feeling the tenderness at the ischial tuberosities. Is that where I should be sore? Or does that mean I need to change the tilt of my seat? I admit I know nothing about seat adjustments, I just left it the way it was when I brought the bike home from the store.

And - would one of those gel seat covers help? Or would they just shift around and become more of a nuisance than they're worth?

Or is this just something that'll get better in time?

I also bought a new bike, just this weekend--Giant OCR3 road bike. Man, bikes have gotten a lot more expensive since the last time I bought a bike! What kind is yours?

Yeah, the bicycle shorts (sans attached skirt in my case--but I did wear a kilt at a wedding once! ) definitely help. But like you, I found that after 20 miles my butt would still get sore, and am thinking I need to do something about my less-than-comfortable seat.

Not nearly as sore as my feet, though (from flexible shoes rubbing up against the pedals and toe clips). I'm going to get some cycling shoes and clip-in pedals as soon as I can figure out what some good vegan shoes are. (Recommendations, anyone?) According to the guy I talked to at the bike shop I visited today, cycling shoes should definitely help with the foot comfort factor--as well as helping me pedal faster!

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for the specific questions you asked, but I'll let you know if I find out anything!

Jeff