Looking for a bike

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

veginator
Gorilla

Looking for a bike

#1 Postby veginator » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:52 pm

After a several year hiatus following having my bike stolen a few years ago, I'm getting back into it and need a decent but not terribly expensive road bike. In addition to using it for errands some to save a bit on gas, I'll be doing some long rides as part of my cardio routine. I had been running exclusively last summer, but I just seem to constantly have nagging injuries--currently a sore Achilles--so I need to vary my training if I'm going to reach a high level of fitness and stay relatively injury-free.

Anyway, today at a local bike shop I was looking at a lower-end Giant with aluminum frame. Seemed like a very nice bike, but I'd really rather not pay $625 if I can get something decent for cheaper. Does anyone have any suggestions for good road bikes to look at for under, say, $650?

Also, I'm wondering about frame size. I'm 5'7" with about a 29-30" inseam.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jeff

xdarthveganx
Elephant

Re: Looking for a bike

#2 Postby xdarthveganx » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 am

veginator wrote:After a several year hiatus following having my bike stolen a few years ago, I'm getting back into it and need a decent but not terribly expensive road bike. In addition to using it for errands some to save a bit on gas, I'll be doing some long rides as part of my cardio routine. I had been running exclusively last summer, but I just seem to constantly have nagging injuries--currently a sore Achilles--so I need to vary my training if I'm going to reach a high level of fitness and stay relatively injury-free.

Anyway, today at a local bike shop I was looking at a lower-end Giant with aluminum frame. Seemed like a very nice bike, but I'd really rather not pay $625 if I can get something decent for cheaper. Does anyone have any suggestions for good road bikes to look at for under, say, $650?

Also, I'm wondering about frame size. I'm 5'7" with about a 29-30" inseam.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jeff

For that price you better look used.
https://www.facebook.com/xdarthveganx
I am in the process of trying to lose 60lbs of fat while gaining lean muscle by December 2012
My fitness/transformation log can be found here

veginator
Gorilla

Re: Looking for a bike

#3 Postby veginator » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Looked through Craigslist locally and didn't see anything that caught my eye. There were no used road bikes that were suitable at any of the local bike shops, either. A guy at one of the shops said decent used bikes get snapped up in a hurry around here because it's a pretty big biking town. New road bikes (mostly Treks and Cannondales) were all at least $750 at the shops I visited today. Since I was eager to get started biking again, I went ahead and got the Giant OCR3 I test-rode yesterday for $625. Seems to be a higher-quality bike than the Fuji I got for about $300 20 years ago (which got stolen a few years back), so I'm happy with it.

I took it for my first ride this evening. Only 10 miles because I had to cut it short due to an impending thunderstorm, and I didn't really push myself very much, just cruised along with an average pulse of about 130, but it felt good to get out on a bike again. I'm looking forward to getting fitter without pounding my legs and perpetually suffering from nagging little injuries like I was doing when I ran almost every day.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”