Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yoga Poses
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:11 pm 
Manatee

Gaia . . . I didn't think that you were being critical, and I apologize if I seemed defensive. I know exactly where you are coming from . . . my one old man cranky peeve is bodybuilders who don't complete their art by learning to move and flow when they pose . I think that we may be on the same page, even though I am not a BB.
Best,
Hilary
Off to Taiwan, Vegan heavan!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:51 pm 
Stegosaurus

BethL wrote:
I am studying Yoga now, I don't know all the name of the poses but thought it might help with my frozen shoulder. So far so good, I love it. Also my son has a Wii and we like the sports package, the boxing is a good indoor cardio workout, but I love the bowling lol

A few years ago I had my shoulder rebuilt. My insurance company, which practically throws people out of hospitals gave me a GENEROUS schedule of PT to recuperate from the operation. Shoulders are very unforgiving. I remember the physical therapists talking about frozen shoulders. A frozen shoulder is definitely something you want a physical therapist to help you with as soon as you can arrange it.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:22 am 
Finch

The main things that i've read, heard, that stick with me regarding yoga are:
If you're alive, you can do yoga.
Don't conform to the pose, let the pose conform to you.
Let the pose come to you.
You are never too old, never too sick, never too bad, never too late to do Yoga.
Wherever you are, just be there.
If you don't ever fall or lose your balance, you're not doing Yoga.
yes, you may do yoga for the physical aspect, but some amazing things may happen when you step off the mat or come out of the pose and back into your life...
as for your question, there are some poses i enjoy because they come easily to me like plank, bridge, cobra, and tree but i have to say the ones that are more challenging like downward dog, back bends, and shoulder stands are really rewarding, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:56 pm 
Gorilla

I'm starting yoga tomorrow!!! Wohooo :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 pm 
Manatee

Lena01 wrote:

As a dancer, you will have a great time! Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:22 pm 
Rabbit

hilary wright wrote:
Lena01 wrote:

As a dancer, you will have a great time! Enjoy.

hope it goes (or went) well, remember to breathe and as hilary said enjoy

the main thing i always try to do in yoga, in addition to breathing with awareness, is to align myself with my Self; not trying to match or go beyond the other students poses but to go within and based on where that is in that moment in time and space, be there

the best teachers i have always offer alternate poses and encourage students to do what they can not what their neighbor is

i do enjoy the collective energy of the group but i think when you push too hard or overdo it in yoga or any exercise is when you could hurt yourself?

somedays i am more relaxed and flexible, other days in pain and stiff; i try to embrace these states and usually they improve with the class

hey btw i never got a chance to congrat you on winning the calves contest; what's funny is how our calves are on the VB&F hme page, it almost looks like we are standing next to each other

anyhoo namaste and take care

p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:33 am 
Gorilla

Thank you both for the advice, and for the congrats paulcats, same for you!

The class went wonderfully well, the teacher is a friend of mine and he's very sweet. Besides I had done yoga for over a year before so I was kind of trained. I left the class feeling in the clouds, loved it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:43 am 
Rabbit

Lena01 wrote:

The class went wonderfully well, the teacher is a friend of mine and he's very sweet. Besides I had done yoga for over a year before so I was kind of trained. I left the class feeling in the clouds, loved it!

that's great

me and my calves are going to go to a class in a few hours.

hopefully i will reach the cloud, too!
p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:11 pm 
Rabbit

paulcats02 wrote:
Lena01 wrote:

that's great

me and my calves are going to go to a class in a few hours.

hopefully i will reach the cloud, too!
p

ok i went and it was a great class

the teacher Nagmeh said something that really stuck with me: "be true to the pose". anotherwords whatever the pose is for you be true to that; don't worry about what others are doing.

she also asked us "what pose is the only pose you should have your eyes closed for?", the answer being corpse pose (Savasana). she said it is important to keep your eyes open so that you can really see what your body is doing; even if you are feeling zen-like and having a nirvana moment...

it was just what i needed, this class

p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm 
Gorilla

paulcats, it seems to be like you got a beautiful experience out of this class. i'm glad for you and your calves :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:29 pm 
Rabbit

Lena01 wrote:
paulcats, it seems to be like you got a beautiful experience out of this class. i'm glad for you and your calves :)

Lena01

today was really incredible.

perhaps where i am at prior to class can influence what the class means to me while it's happening and what i'm taking away from it after it's done, too?

i know, somedays, before class, i may be stressed out and/or tired, and the class takes the stress away and rejuvenates me. other days, i may feel pretty good and the class amplifies this to feeling great.

at worst, yoga brings me back to myself; at best, it brings me back to my Self

p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 am 
Elephant

Just a question paulcats, do you do yoga at home?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:25 pm 
Rabbit

Gaia wrote:
Just a question paulcats, do you do yoga at home?

yes, i do.

it's a challenge for me, though, like with many physical activities done solo, because i tend to go to extremes; either i go easy or i go all out, sometimes the middle ground is hard to be found?

to quote clarence "ripped" bass "when i go too easy i get bored and when i go too hard i give up" (or in my case, get hurt).

but Yoga is about balance.

classes for me are special occasions, in that currently most of the training i do is alone (roughly 80-90%).

p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:10 pm 
Elephant

I try to do it at home, but I become so bored. I love class settings because the energy is conducive to the flow. At home it is just so non stimulating for me to do it. The only time it seems to be stimulating for me is when I hurt myself and I do therapeutic yoga!

Do you set goals for yourself when you do yoga at home? Maybe I should be like my teachers and have a theme for the week, and do a flow to my theme.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:48 pm 
Rabbit

Gaia wrote:
I try to do it at home, but I become so bored. I love class settings because the energy is conducive to the flow. At home it is just so non stimulating for me to do it. The only time it seems to be stimulating for me is when I hurt myself and I do therapeutic yoga!

Do you set goals for yourself when you do yoga at home? Maybe I should be like my teachers and have a theme for the week, and do a flow to my theme.

the only goal i set for myself when i do yoga at home is to be present in my body and in the moment. i have videos and books that i follow along with or i will just run through asanas according to my mood.

i do like the idea of having a theme for the week, and a flow to the theme, but i tend to be more like you in that i will focus on healing after the hurt.

p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next