Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Shoes Are Evil, Muhahahhaha!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:02 pm 
Finch

The 50 mile trail run I mentioned before went great! I smashed my personal record on the course to finish in 8:21. Pictures from the run, in which you can see the Vibram Five Fingers in action, can be seen at:

http://conaghan.smugmug.com/keyword/119 ... 5573_6Z4mc

My feet came out of it great - not one blister or other damage. When I wear shoes for such a race I'm usually tending to all sorts of harm at this point!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:31 am 
Gorilla

Nice pics and great time on that course!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 am 
Rabbit

boisei wrote:
The 50 mile trail run I mentioned before went great! I smashed my personal record on the course to finish in 8:21. Pictures from the run, in which you can see the Vibram Five Fingers in action, can be seen at:

http://conaghan.smugmug.com/keyword/119 ... 5573_6Z4mc

My feet came out of it great - not one blister or other damage. When I wear shoes for such a race I'm usually tending to all sorts of harm at this point!

Very inspiring, fantastic job! Which style do you wear, the KSO? I'm a tennis player, but am not sure which style would be best?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 am 
Elephant

I absolutely love barefoot, but get to do it a tiny amount due to living in a built up town where you really dont want to be barefoot! I do however spend every evening at home without shoes so thats a bonus.

I find Converse very comfy as the sole is simple & flat.They are comfy, cool, made of linen (not leather ones) & they are cheap too.

Walking barefoot or in shoes is bad for the knees if people dont walk correctly.Alot of people tend to 'stomp' around which is when they land consistently straight on the heals, without rolling the foot after.That is bad, bad, bad.

Of course the ancient barefoot peoples have the right idea, if you look to specific ancient peoples you will find they do almost everything better, clothing, diet, morals, attitudes.These people stay in tune with mother nature who guides them into correct living.Unfortunately she did not guide them to the invention of guns so they could protect themselves properly when Europeans started to sail the seven seas.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 am 
Finch

markc7 wrote:
Nice pics and great time on that course!

Thanks Mark!

veganmaster wrote:
Very inspiring, fantastic job! Which style do you wear, the KSO? I'm a tennis player, but am not sure which style would be best?

This was my first long run in the KSO. That is their new model designed to "Keep Stuff Out" which is very nice on the trail.

Before that I did all of my running in the Sprint. This has a set of velcro straps to get a firm fit to the foot, but doesn't have the extra mesh over the top of the foot. I never got too much stuff in my shoes in the Sprint, but get less in the KSO - my feet come out just a bit dirty instead of dirty with a small bit of debris floating about.

I like the strap system they've developed on the KSO a bit better than the Sprint, but think that the Sprint would very suitable for tennis. The KSO surely would too, but I don't think the features it adds to the Sprint would be of any additional benefit.

DaN wrote:
Of course the ancient barefoot peoples have the right idea, if you look to specific ancient peoples you will find they do almost everything better, clothing, diet, morals, attitudes.These people stay in tune with mother nature who guides them into correct living.Unfortunately she did not guide them to the invention of guns so they could protect themselves properly when Europeans started to sail the seven seas.

True that, before living in worlds of our own creation it was a lot easier to avoid being led astray from how we were made to be. I'm not anxious to leave it all behind, but I am happy to find my way back to those that affect our health and well being!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 am 
Rabbit

Quote:
This was my first long run in the KSO. That is their new model designed to "Keep Stuff Out" which is very nice on the trail.

Before that I did all of my running in the Sprint. This has a set of velcro straps to get a firm fit to the foot, but doesn't have the extra mesh over the top of the foot. I never got too much stuff in my shoes in the Sprint, but get less in the KSO - my feet come out just a bit dirty instead of dirty with a small bit of debris floating about.

I like the strap system they've developed on the KSO a bit better than the Sprint, but think that the Sprint would very suitable for tennis. The KSO surely would too, but I don't think the features it adds to the Sprint would be of any additional benefit.

I'm glad to hear that you think both would be suitable for tennis! I am torn between the sprint and KSO, after reading this guy's blog reviews of both:
http://www.keith-in-training.com/2008/0 ... art-i.html
http://keith-in-training.blogspot.com/2 ... print.html

The KSO strap sounds better as you've said, plus I thought about hitting my bare foot with my racquet (I play at about 4.5-5.0 level, so sometimes accidents happen). And heck, I may love them and want to start running on a trail with them, just for fun. I've neglected my feet for too long, but not anymore, my feet are slowly getting stronger and tougher, since I've been interested in barefoot exercise.
I really appreciate your informed opinion, there is sparse information online about using these shoes for tennis! I think I'm gonna go with the KSOs! :) I'm excited for my feet!