Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: any fighters? muay thai? boxing? wresting? etc...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:44 pm 
Finch

I use to fight pro muay thai and did a few pro boxing fights. I also wrestled in school and did some jujitsu. I've never met a vegan fighter in any of those disciplines before and I'm currios how it effects performance. I've only been vegan for a few months, so my experiance is limited. I've never felt better health wise, but I'd like to know how it's effected anyone else over a longer time period... years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:52 pm 
Finch

wow, muay thai. thats pretty crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:21 am 
Site Admin

I wrestled in high school and then almost got a job with the WWF (now WWE) back in 2001, but things fell through at the last minute......which led me to bodybuilding instead.

I know a bunch of vegan athletes who do a variety of sports. I there there are some vegan boxers out there in mainstream media, I'll have to check on that.

I have excelled a bunch of sports and sometimes I make it a point to inform someone that they just got "beat by a vegan" but I do it in a nice, positive way.......you know like "man, you just got your ass kicked by someone who doesn't eat meat......how does it feel?" Just kidding, I don't do that (only to my good friends). But I do try to let people know that I'm vegan, especially when I perform well in bodybuilding, basketball, running and other sports I've done well in over the past 10 years.

When I get more names of the fighter types I'll let you know.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:36 am 
Elephant

Wow, you guys can seriously kick arse and my arse as well. I wish I knew how to do self defense. I have no money and no way to learn. Muay Thai is pretty crazy.

Rob, I like how you tell them they got beat by a vegan. Keep on spreading the word :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:27 pm 
Finch

lol at rubbing it in their face. i was actually thinkin about making a few t-shirts like.. "you just got knocked out by a vegan" and have a meat eater vs vegan animal and human... hard to explain, but on the meat eater side there's a fat dumpy bear and his human counterpart is a beer bellied bald guy. then on the vegan side there's a ripped up muscle headed bull and his human counterpart is a thick/solid vegan body builder. at the botom would say "which would you rather be?"
what do you guys think? more for fun than anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:03 am 
Elephant

I actually think that those would do more damage to us vegans. It will say that it proves their point that we are "uptight and judgemental". However they do the same so Im all for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:37 pm 
Elephant

Hi toothless :D

I did Muay Thai, too, but nowhere near professional. Unfortunately i had to quit after a severe accident and two knee surgeries :-( I miss it.

When i turned vegan, i was prepared to lose all my muscles and thought to myself "well, now that my body building time is over, i can finally do other sports, too, without damaging my muscle gains" ;-)
So i started doing Muay Thai and Wing Chun Kung Fu (the traditional way, not the modern self defense quark) three times a week each, in addition to my body building work outs four times a week.

And you know what? I learned that becoming vegan had immensely improved my endurance without doing extra cardio training! Moreover, after a short period of muscle loss, i regained my strength and topped my old personal bests by far 8)

Where was i? Oh yes, Muay Thai :roll:

The best martial art for self defense in my opinion. I just love it, but you have to have a good master.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:37 am 
Rabbit

i am training , becuase i love wrestling, but anyways, here in my country the wrestling is not a pupular sport, but my dream is not finished, yeah when i was 7 years old, i liked to be a WWF superstar.
now i have many goals, one is to be an security staff worker :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:01 pm 
Finch

I've been training muay thai for about a 3/4 year so I'm quite far from being pro. I used to train karate , jiu and kundo years ago, but took a long break practicing martial arts. So I'm working on getting some muscles and endurance, this just makes it less painful. And me wimpy girl has to catch up to those huge guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:34 pm 
Rabbit

I enjoy training in martial arts also, but I've never been much for the sport side of it, it's more about self mastery for me. I've never met another veg martial artist either.

I trained in karate before moving onto freestyle and kickboxing, later kickboxing and muay thai. I have always been interested in experiencing other martial arts and the idea of cross training so I also used to supplement my training by taking classes in other arts along the way, such as capoeira, jui jitsu, boxing, wing chun.

I have recently got back into training after an 18 month break, beginning training in Kenpo and MMA.

The transition to a veg lifestyle only ever improved my performance, although I was never at a pro level. For myself a lot my 'drive' comes from being in greater awareness of my energy system which was strengthend by being a vego...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:49 am 
Rabbit

I train Jeet Kune Do, also Silat and Kali. I train between 3 - 5 hours a week, depending on how rested I am between that and weight lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:09 pm 
Rabbit

Glad to see other MA types here.

I did assorted stuff in past years, but am a Bjj/MMA guy now. I also do a lot of weights (always have), and was concerned also about losing size/strength.

Im only a modified vegan to best explain it, so I still get protien from cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs,- But I still dropped from 215 to 200- can't get it back yet.

I was hopin the magic formula is around the corner.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:41 pm 
Elephant

You know I dont think you can say you are any type of vegan still eating cheese and other animal products, that really goes against the definition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:42 pm 
Rabbit

Ya, I know. That's why I stated Modified Vegan, and expressed that I had no other idea how to appropriately define such in the post that proceeded yours. I really don't know the various definitions verbatim.

I realize the entire animal industry presents it's own problems however. I tried going fully vegan, and could barely get up most days. It was a disaster for me. I couldn't function. I realize man was intended to eat meat, but my choice for changing was love of animals purely...no other reason. i'm still trying to achieve some compromise I can tolerate.

If I had the ability to run my own farmstead etc...I suppose my problem would be eliminated as I'd treat the animals in a caring manner.

Vegan ...vegitarian..Morman. I really don't give a shit definition wise. I wont kill an animal, therefore I wont eat one. Really much more a moral or ethical reason than pure alleged health benifits, but to each their own. I don't know what thats defined as....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:42 pm 
Rabbit

I haven't practiced in years, but I used to do Kyokushinkai Karate (full contact, unlike shotokan and other popular systems that use protective gear and point based sparring), Kempo (my kung-fu stinks, but I was good at the karate apects of it), and a little Krav Maga. I've always wondered about muai-thai or kickboxing. I will get back to martial arts in a year when I graduate and dont have night classes at the university that eat up my time after work. I'd love to try Brazilian jiu-jitsu or other grappling type art, since I know very little about that.

ears switch off to the screams."

- Napalm Death: Food Chains