Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is heat and cold therapy?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:50 am 
Finch

Hey friends can someone tell me what is heat and cold therapy. My father is suffering from a severe back pain and is really very depressed due to that. Someone told me to give him the heat and cold therapy which will help him in getting recovered soon from this problem of back pain. I really don’t know what is it and how does it work so please give me your suggestions on it.

Post subject: Re: What is heat and cold therapy?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:17 pm 
Elephant

I believe it has to do with using both cold (ice), and hot packs together. I'm not exactly sure of the method though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:26 pm 
Rabbit

im certainly no expert on this, but basically cold stops swelling and hot increases bloodflow. usually after a long run i get into an ice bath about 15-30 minutes after and that always helps with soreness. but thats only if youve got swelling, like if you just upset the back injury.

a while back i had an ankle injury and heat therapy really helped expedite the healing process. all i did was use my shower head(its the kind that disconnects from the wall) to put a stream of very warm water on the ankle for about a minute at a time. i did that for a while and it healed up nicely.

you might also suggest some back stretches for your dad. you tube has great instructional vids on all sorts of effective stretching techniques.

hope that helps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 pm 
Finch

In my opinion heat and cold therapy is the best for back pains. The temperature variations have 4 main properties on our body tissues, including pain relief, muscle relaxation, blood vessel amendments, and connective tissue effects. By reducing the speed of desire accomplish by nerve fibers, pain sensations are inhibited by cold.