Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jumping Rope: your thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm 
Rabbit

If I remember correctly this was supposed to be a great workout, incorporating many parts of the body. Does that still hold true? I'm looking for something I can do while at work on my dinner break (we have a back room and I work with--at most--one other person). I used to jog/run but it's less safe now with icy roads and sidewalks, plus I figured using a jumprope would work my other muscles more. I'm looking to lose some fat and get some lean muscle.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any recommendations for a good one? I'm only 5'1" if that matters. Many thanks!! :D

Post subject: Re: Jumping Rope: your thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:02 am 
Elephant

When I was the most "fit" I did rope jumping and crunches inbetween every set in the gym. I got ripped so I back jumping ropes any day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:33 am 
Rabbit

Thanks! That's good to know. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 am 
Elephant

If you do them on your dinner break, do them before you eat. Nothing is worse than jumping rope on a full stomach. Don't drink too much before either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:33 am 
Rabbit

Indeed. I am able to eat my dinner at my desk, so I'll be using my entire dinner break for the workout and clean up, and I can do dinner afterwards. It's a decent set-up. The floors back there are really hard...I have a mat that might work well. I'll do some experimenting. Now to figure out what rope to buy. My guess is that the only REAL factor would be length, but I'm sure I'll b surprised. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:56 am 
Stegosaurus

Jump Rope == Bad For The Knees Over Time

Better to get a mini trampoline or do something else.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07 am 
Elephant

beforewisdom wrote:
Jump Rope == Bad For The Knees Over Time

Better to get a mini trampoline or do something else.

Hmm, is it really that bad and if so, compared to what? Is it much worse than running and do the ground material affect the outcome (like it does for runners)?
A trampoline seems hard to have in an office.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 am 
Stegosaurus

Yes, jump rope is hard on the knees.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:57 am 
Elephant

Did not really answer my questions.
As I said earlier, I used to do it a lot in the gym. But that was on a rubber floor that was really soft. I did it basically every day for about 4 months and did not notice anything but positive effect on my whole body.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:11 pm 
Gorilla

Depending on who you talk to everything is bad for the knees, just like everything causes cancer, just work out and stop being such a pansy :D

We gotta learn to see the beauty in each moment of life
Everyone has different pasts and we're seeking the light
The world is divided between peasants and kings
But the truth is everyone is looking for the same thing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 pm 
Rabbit

Zinzen, OMG, that's funny. *giggle*

I have some floor padding that I've used in the past for pilates and such. I'm going to put it together (it's pieced together) to see how much coverage it provides, because I would like to jump on it if possible. The back room is pretty hard. That said, I would also think that, as with running and other impact activities, if I kept my movements minimal I could minimize the damage (meaning not jumping quite so high, making sure to land on soft knees, etc). And making sure the muscles around the knee are strong is a little added insurance, yes?

FWIW, this would only be once or twice per week AT MOST for about 15-20 minutes. I only have a 30 minute dinner and would need time to get in and out of work clothes and de-funktify myself. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:39 pm 
Rabbit

zinzen wrote:
Depending on who you talk to everything is bad for the knees, just like everything causes cancer, just work out and stop being such a pansy :D

I've also read that for most people the benefits of running outweigh the possible damage to the knees. Something like folks who run on appropriate surfaces (NOT concrete all the time) have strong enough legs and the exercise provides lubrication...I believe it actually helps with arthritis pain. Hm, I should go look that up for evidence. Nothing worse than spewing info with nothing to back me up, eh? :oops:

Here's an article, and it's probably the one I read the first time since I used to get this mag:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 pm 
Rabbit

In case anyone is interseted, startd jumping at work only a couple times per week for about 20 minutes total. More like jumping 100 times (about 50 seconds) and then walking it off for a minute, and then repeating until my time is up.

WOW! I was walking funny the day after the first time, and two days after the first time I could REALLy feel it. Amazing.

And, I know there was some discussion about impact, but I've also heard the argument that running is even higher impact given that your feet are supposed to remain as close to the ground as possible in jumping. Interesting.

Anyway, thought I'd share!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:20 pm 
Gorilla

Jumping rope is a great cardio exercise and good for developing rhythm and coordination - that's why boxers, thai boxers and many other fighters do it. I often jump rope for 10 minutes to warm up before sparring or training. I don't think it's necessarily hard on the knees. That depends on the surface. If anything, your feet and ankles will feel it first. Expect some pain while they get stronger. If you get persistent knee pain, then stop. If I can add one thing - try to jump rope barefoot - this will build the foot muscles, which will help everything else above them (ankles, knees, back etc).

Anyways, happy training! :boxer:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:44 pm 
Elephant

beforewisdom wrote:
Yes, jump rope is hard on the knees.

huh? ... your muscles take most of the punishment, if you're not jumping high up and do it on some kind of absorbing flooring your knees should be fine. i've never had knee pains from jumping rope. granted my calves are wrecked right now lol but i'm ok with that :)