WEC

Trev

Anyone here see WEC 38?

Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone and Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver 2. Was a great show - only one fight made it past the first round. I always enjoy WEC because it's mostly guys around my weight - 135- and 145ers. Plus, Miguel Torres.

I was surprised that one judge ruled in the Cowboy's favor...

Yeah, I was too. I guess that judge saw Cerrone moving forward all the time, and thought that was worth more than Varner taking him down nearly at will and staying on top of him. Judges are always a little hit and miss. Varner was a bit of a putz in the post-fight interview.

I actually enjoyed the other fights on the card more than this one. WEC's best fighters seem to be the 135s and 145s (because there's nowhere else for them to go except Japan...).

• 4 weeks later...

glad there's a thread now for WEC, even though i don't get to watch many of them. i usually have to wait to see it at mmalinker.com. but is anyone gonna watch WEC 39 tomorrow? i've been keeping w/ Leonard Garcia, and he definitely seems worthy of a title shot. wish is could see these fights live though.

Yeah, I'm gonna download it on Monday. Wish I could watch it live. The main event has the makings of a real battle. Someone's getting ko'd I think. Which one? Flip a coin. Brown's more technical, smarter, has better wrestling but Garcia's got huge heart and huge power for a 145er. I won't even be able to watch it until thursday night, because of training, school, more training...

The rest of the card should be exciting too. WEC usually delivers across the board. WEC is worth its own thread on here for sure.

The knee was actually LEGAL!

The rules go like this:

if you throw the knee when the opponent is up (which varner was when cowboys foot left the ground to throw it) And then they become grounded before the knee strikes it is still legal, as long as it was thrown when the opponent was up.

But this is already history and in the books, and im sure there are tons of politics involved keeping that detail of the rule quiet.

war cowboy!

=]

Anyone see WEC 39 yet?! I just finished watching it. Was pretty good... won't spoil it yet...

Hey Tommy-jitsu, interesting - I never looked into that knee that much. There'll be a rematch anyhow.

its hard to tell from this gif, but notice that when cowboy throws the knee, Varner is still only on two points therefore being up. When the knee connects however, Varner has dropped to a knee and is then a downed opponent. But it was still thrown when he was up, making it legal.

http://i43.tinypic.com/358ypgl.jpg

Yeah, it looks technically legal by your definition, assuming that's the definition used by the sanctioning body of course, but for a ref to see that in real time is nearly impossible. Refs can't change their call once they make it - there are no instant replays in mma!

***Spoiler - look away now!***

Back to WEC 39 - anyone watch it or what? All I can say is Jose Aldo... kid's got talent. Mike Brown was mighty impressive too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I was surprised with the fight too. I hope Urijahs hand can be repaired. But you do have to give it to Brown he beats urijah twice now and that isn't an easy feat. He is a strong guy.

I guess that the problem for me is , if his hand was good then would brown have been able to get off that many shots. I do think that they are going to be the top two of the division, ofcourse aldo has looked good too. But brown and faber have gone all night. Aldo has been quick.

yeah i understand what your saying last time he caught urijah and this time other than the first round urijah was without most of his striking and grappling game making it very difficult for him. But urijah is a warrior. He kept trying things and made it through the whole fight. I am sure we will see these two fight again in the future after urijahs hand heals etc. But brown is a champ that was a very hostile environment for him to defend his title in but he took the fight in urijahs hometown. He believed in himself enough because there are a lot of doubters going against him. will be very interesting to see what happens next.

hey how about how sad it was to see Jens Pulver lose in 33 seconds. i think he pretty much said he was retiring in the post interview.

and the look on Josh Grispi's face after the fight, i've never seen a guy so depressed to win. i saw an interview where he said backstage, he asked Jens for his autograph. he mentioned that Jens was someone he looked up to, and he felt bad about beating him. "i'd boo me too, if was watching me fight Jens. i love the guy".

Jens Pulver vs Josh Grispi