Let's talk NBA Basketball

robert

Let's talk about my favorite professional sport..................Pro Basketball and the NBA.....

Here are some things to get it started...the All-Star game is around the corner.

Any thoughts?

2009 All-Star Rosters

FRIDAY: Rookie Challenge Roster

NO. PLAYER (TEAM) POS. HT. WT. BIRTHDATE FROM

1 * Allen Iverson (Detroit) G 6-0 180 07/07/75 Georgetown

3 * Dwyane Wade (Miami) G 6-4 216 01/17/82 Marquette

23 * LeBron James (Cleveland) F 6-8 250 12/30/84 St. Vincent/St. Mary HS

5 * Kevin Garnett (Boston) F 6-11 220 05/19/76 Farragut Academy (HS)

12 * Dwight Howard (Orlando) C 6-11 265 12/08/85 SW Atlanta Christian Academy (GA)

2 Joe Johnson (Atlanta) G 6-7 235 06/29/81 Arkansas

14 # Jameer Nelson (Orlando) G 6-0 190 02/09/82 Saint Joseph's

33 # Danny Granger (Indiana) F-G 6-8 228 04/20/83 New Mexico

34 Paul Pierce (Boston) F 6-7 235 10/13/77 Kansas

4 Chris Bosh (Toronto) F 6-10 230 03/24/84 Georgia Tech

34 # Devin Harris (New Jersey) G 6-3 185 02/27/83 Wisconsin

9 Rashard Lewis (Orlando) F 6-10 230 08/08/79 Alief Elsik HS (TX)

Head Coach: Mike Brown (Cleveland)

NO. PLAYER (TEAM) POS. HT. WT. BIRTHDATE FROM

24 * Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers) G 6-6 205 08/23/78 Lower Merion HS

3 * Chris Paul (New Orleans) G 6-0 175 05/06/85 Wake Forest

21 * Tim Duncan (San Antonio) F 6-11 260 04/25/76 Wake Forest

1 * Amare Stoudemire (Phoenix) F 6-10 245 11/16/82 Cypress Creek (Orlando, FL)

11 * Yao Ming (Houston) C 7-6 310 9/12/80 China

41 Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas) F 7-0 245 06/19/78 Germany

32 Shaquille O'Neal (Phoenix) C 7-1 325 03/06/72 Louisiana State

7 Brandon Roy (Portland) G 6-6 211 07/23/84 Washington

7 Chauncey Billups (Denver) G 6-3 202 09/25/76 Colorado

16 Pau Gasol (L.A. Lakers) F-C 7-0 250 07/06/80 Spain

30 David West (New Orleans) F 6-9 240 08/29/80 Xavier (OH)

9 Tony Parker (San Antonio) G 6-2 180 05/17/82 France

Head Coach: Phil Jackson (L.A. Lakers)

* - denotes starter

# - denotes first-time selection

i - denotes injured and will not participate

It seems like a lot of great players are left off the list....including Steve Nash who was just back-to-back MVP a couple of years ago.

I love the NBA and look forward to the game!

I'm a fan of some of the big dogs in the game:

1. LeBron James

2. Amare Stoudemire

3. Dwight Howard

4. Brandon Roy

5. Shaquille O'neal

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who does everyone want to see on the court?

The lineups i want to see are;

G - Ray Allen

G - Devin Harris

F - 9 Rashard Lewis

F - Kevin Garnett

C - Dwight Howard

G - Chris Paul

G - B-Roy

F - David West

F - Tim Duncan

C - Amare

I'm thinking dwight has got what it takes to get back to back dunk championships.

its going to be a good game but i think that A.I. is getting over the hill...

hey rob did you see they retired chris webbers jersey at the arco arena?

Yeah, I did.....to be totally honest...the most I've ever loved a team, in any sport that I can think of was the Sacramento Kings with Webber, Bibby, Jackson, Divac, and the rest. I loved that team! When the Lakers ruined their season on Robert Horry's last second shot I was really bummed for a while.

I love sports, but I don't think I've loved any team more than that Kings team. I follow "players" not teams....I was a Webber fan.

Now I'm a LeBron James Fan, Nash - Stoudemire and Suns fan, Blazers fan and I have other players and teams I follow and support.

I saw Webber has his jersey retired....the KIngs lost that night. I hope they get their team going again...I don't really like any of the current players so I am not attached to them at the moment. I love the Cavs, Suns, and I cheer for the Blazers and Magic.

I look forward to the game.

An interesting question...............who do you think is the "face of the NBA?"

I heard it on sports radio....they were talking about whether it is James, Bryant....and the fact that it is NOT Duncan, though he has a better resume than anyone in basketball (championships, MVPs, finals MVPs, all defensive teams, all NBA teams, etc.).

I'd like to think that it is James....but they said it has to be a larger market guy like Kobe.....then they talked about who it is in baseball now that it isn't Bonds and Jeter was the only name that came to mind for them.

Who do you think is the Face of the NBA and why?

its going to be a good game but i think that A.I. is getting over the hill...

hey rob did you see they retired chris webbers jersey at the arco arena?

Yeah, I did.....to be totally honest...the most I've ever loved a team, in any sport that I can think of was the Sacramento Kings with Webber, Bibby, Jackson, Divac, and the rest. I loved that team! When the Lakers ruined their season on Robert Horry's last second shot I was really bummed for a while.

I love sports, but I don't think I've loved any team more than that Kings team. I follow "players" not teams....I was a Webber fan.

Now I'm a LeBron James Fan, Nash - Stoudemire and Suns fan, Blazers fan and I have other players and teams I follow and support.

I saw Webber has his jersey retired....the KIngs lost that night. I hope they get their team going again...I don't really like any of the current players so I am not attached to them at the moment. I love the Cavs, Suns, and I cheer for the Blazers and Magic.

I look forward to the game.

An interesting question...............who do you think is the "face of the NBA?"

I heard it on sports radio....they were talking about whether it is James, Bryant....and the fact that it is NOT Duncan, though he has a better resume than anyone in basketball (championships, MVPs, finals MVPs, all defensive teams, all NBA teams, etc.).

I'd like to think that it is James....but they said it has to be a larger market guy like Kobe.....then they talked about who it is in baseball now that it isn't Bonds and Jeter was the only name that came to mind for them.

Who do you think is the Face of the NBA and why?

the face of the nba really depends on what kinda cultural background your from.

Yao Ming is definitely the face of asain basketball where as dirk/parker/gasol seem to the be faces of europe.

lebron and kobe are both great players but the face of north american nba at the moment seems to be more of a group pic that is the 2008 gold medal team.

if i had to pick i would say lebron, however if he doesnt start winning championships that whole king title is going to be kinda useless.

a friend gave me a copy of that game 7 when horry sunk the kings. i was stoked watching it untill i realised that it was game 7 and c-webb never made finals. IMO the kings would have got a ring in 5 games, 6 games tops against the teams that the lakers beat. but kobe and shaq were really the pinnacle, it still is semi-unbeleivable that the lakers could lose with malone and payton.

my fav thing about the kings was how they had keon clarke and brad miller over the years with turkoglu and christie and jackson...i always play the kings on the 02 dated nba games.

hey rob what did you think about david robinson?

re: blazers

the team is so stacked all they have to do is stick together and get some experience and they wil be sweet, im keen to see how greg oden develops too

I have to say Lebron is the face of the NBA.

At least he should be.

Besides Kobe's championships rings and being one of the top players ever to play the game he has been enbroiled in so much controversy that I don't really think he is that marketable. From talking crap about his coaches, to the rape trial, to refusing to play, wanting to trade, etc etc, it doesnt make him a very marketable guy.

There are many players out there who dont like their coach, they want a trade, or whatever and never freak out about things like Kobe does.

I think Lebron is the most marketable. He is also on of the top players ever to play, and although the ""Lebron to New York" thing is all over the place he has taken it with respect and has been quiet about it, focusing more on winning than rumors.

If I had a choose a team for the face of the NBA however, I would have to say the Celtcs

PS:

Going to a Jazz vs Celtics game Feb 19th. I think I'm gonna get beat up with my Celtics Jersey on and standing non-stop and talking smack! Haha!

Hopefully the Celtics can pull their heads out of their butts and start winning against good teams again. I don't think I have been any more depressed than the last Celtics loss to the Lakers.

Good thoughts there..........................

David Robinson was my favorite player.......even (being from Oregon) when the Blazers were playing in the NBA Finals in the early 90's.....Robinson and the Spurs were my favorite...and I was a Blazer fan. I just really liked the guy....his abilities, his attitude, his muscle, his dominance on the court, etc.....and when the scoring title was up for grabs between him and Shaq, he poured in 71 points in (what I believe was) the final game of the season...over the Clippers I think, and of course won the title.

I am absolutely amazed at what King James has done.....you have to look at the year they got into the finals by beating the Pistons who had arguably an all-star starting line-up while the Cavs had nobody aside from James. He didn't even seem possible that a team line-up like the Cavs had could go anywhere in the playoffs and certainly not all the way to the finals getting past the stacked Pistons who were as hot as any team.

Lots of great NBA history......when I get older and retire or create more time for myself and I'm going to sit back, relax and watch a lot of classic NBA games and remember the times...even before my time of becoming a fan as a kid.

I'd love to see James over Kobe in the finals this year ..........or over O'neil and the Suns so my two favorites hit the finals...but it's more likely to be San Antonio or L.A.

Im rooting for the Spurs in the West this year. I HATE THE LAKERS! Lol

spurs for the win...

so are the spurs really that disliked as a team in the us?

I only know a few nba heads here and they are all kobe and garnett kinda supporters.

does anyone on here collect jerseys?

i've started lately so far i have

east

prince - pistons - alt away (22)

sheed - pistons - alt home (36)

pippen - bulls - '96 finals away (33)

boom dizzle - hornets - away - 1 (i think this was an east)

west

duncan - spurs - finals away (21)

duncan - spurs - regular away (21)

nash - suns - away (13)

im hoping to pick up some more soon list still to come.

hey while on the topic i've noticed adidas are starting to make synthetic leather kicks, are these down with the V?

I've got a pair of gilzero mids in the royal blue...they are the most comfy shoe ever

You know what is interesting............the list of people who are NOT all-stars!

Steve Nash

Tracy McGrady

Jason Terry

Richard Jefferson

Jason Kidd

Zach Randolph

etc.

Many, many more, those were just some of the first that came to mind....perhaps some Pistons, Jazz members, Spurs guys, and lots of other guys who have had great seasons or are big names but didn't make the cut. I realize some of the icons are having sub-par years like T-Mac but it is weird not seeing them on the team.

Any other "big" surprises who aren't on the roster?

I actually like the Spurs As Robert pointed out David Robinson was a beast. I loved watching him play!

I like the Spurs because, like the Celtics, they play TEAM BASKETBALL AND TEAM DEFENSE. Its amazing how you can win despite having Lebron, Kobe, or any of the other "stars" in the league just by focusing on what basketball is about.

Robert: I havent really watched the Suns, so I don't know what kind of year Nash is having. Having said that, I would MUCH rather see him play that Allen Iverson. Nash is always a solid player, contributing every game no matter what. Iverson doesn't practice, doesnt play defense, and spotty with his contribution to the Pistons at best. People just like him cause there are times he can just score at will.

TMAC. I would love to see him play! I really like his attitude and style. BUT, he gets injured so often I think a lot of people have a negative view of him.

I don't like Kidd. So no comment :P

I wish Al Jefferson made the All Star team. He has done great things for the T-wolves. Too bad he is out now with a ACL tear! I've had those. NOT FUN.

I'm almost the opposite. I liked him a lot when he was with the Magic. Then he went to the Lakers, and being a Celtic fan, ugh, I stopped liking him. Once he got on the Suns I started liking him a little more but his work ethic is something I don't like.

I don't understand that if whole teams use a strategy that works almost every time against you (Hack a Shaq) you would think you would spend a few off seasons learning how to shoot a free throw!

I'm more excited for the HORSE competition this year than anything else!

We should change this to a general NBA thread.

I'm going to the Boston vs Utah game tonight! I'll be in my Garnett Jersey. My mom bought me tickets for my birthday!

I'm really excited but really nervous. The last time I went to a Jazz game and rooted for another team my brother and I almost got mobbed by 20+ people after the Timberwolves scored a dagger at the end of the game to win.

Ha!

You all know I've been standing by the Suns for a few years now....of course that continues since many of my favorite players are there.

The funny thing is.............Terry Porter was my favorite player when I was a Kid (he was a Trail Blazer and totally awesome) anyway, as a Coach he wasn't a good fit for Phoenix and they got rid of him....since then they haven't lost and haven't scored less than 140 points in a game!

From the NBA.com Recap from last night:

commenting on Barbosa's Career High 41 points in run and gun style, the style that had for years dominating the West (until playoffs) and getting Steve Nash 2 MVP awards.

Jason Richardson added 34 points and Shaquille O'Neal 22 as the Suns became the first team in 18 seasons to score at least 140 points in three consecutive games. The Portland Trail Blazers did it from Nov. 13-17 in 1990. The Suns did it for the first time in franchise history.

I think the Suns need to get back to themselves again....they scored 140 a game, 3 games in a row and even against Boston put up 108 tonight. I think when they get back to themselves they will do quite well with the run and gun, even with Shaq.

Shaq is getting older but is having is best year in 2 years and seems to be having fun and doing well.

He has taken every team he has played for to the finals....I don't see that for the Suns "right now" but they have a stacked team and should be able to do well in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't know about Nash, if it is best to keep him or move him around...he's still playing well, not as well as his MVP years but he's doing fine. Barbosa is awesome and Grant Hill is getting old, but he's my man! I love Hill! J Rich should add at lot of explosive power as well and the Suns should do well.

I'm also impressed with how well Portland is doing with the 2nd youngest team in the league (4th spot in the West), not bad at all.

Wade put up 50 and Kobe and LeBron are still dominating. Another good day in the NBA today

LeBron didn't get an assist tonight for the first time in his entire career. He didn't get a single one with that Houston Defense that wouldn't leave him or his team alone......Walace broke his leg so he's out for a while.

Suns got stomped by Lakers...my two favorite teams got hammered tonight

• 4 weeks later...

It's about that time of the season...

MVP: Dwyane Wade. Without him the Heat would be struggling to beat the Wizards and that's what makes him most valuable.

ROY: Derrick Rose. He's already the Bulls MVP. Slowly making talk about BG and Luol redundant - as it should be.

CotY: Mike Brown, Cavs. Bloated contracts and under-performing players are hard to mesh into a real team, let alone the best team in the East.

Most likely conference finals matchups: Celts & Cavs ; Lakers & Spurs. The East Finals will be one for the ages, and the result really depends on how the Celts come back from injuries. (I mean that - the only thing stopping the Celts is injury, not King James.) I can't see the Spurs taking the Lakers just like I can't see the Cavs taking the Lakers, either, just like I can't see the Lakers taking the Celts. (Personally, I'd love to see the the Spurs playing the Celts. A Garnett/Duncan face off in the Finals? Yes please!)

Anyone else's thoughts?

It's about that time of the season...

MVP: Dwyane Wade. Without him the Heat would be struggling to beat the Wizards and that's what makes him most valuable.

ROY: Derrick Rose. He's already the Bulls MVP. Slowly making talk about BG and Luol redundant - as it should be.

CotY: Mike Brown, Cavs. Bloated contracts and under-performing players are hard to mesh into a real team, let alone the best team in the East.

Most likely conference finals matchups: Celts & Cavs ; Lakers & Spurs. The East Finals will be one for the ages, and the result really depends on how the Celts come back from injuries. (I mean that - the only thing stopping the Celts is injury, not King James.) I can't see the Spurs taking the Lakers just like I can't see the Cavs taking the Lakers, either, just like I can't see the Lakers taking the Celts. (Personally, I'd love to see the the Spurs playing the Celts. A Garnett/Duncan face off in the Finals? Yes please!)

Anyone else's thoughts?

garnett and duncan facing off would definately stretch 7 games

as long as the spurs get healthy they can beat the lakers, watching kobe in the finals last year was kinda funny how he was all for team work but when his team was down he just wanted to do it himself.

Cavs Lakers final would be pretty boring IMO, it might as well be Lebron and Kobe playing a game of horse.

• 2 weeks later...