The widening gap between great runners and good runners

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Tarz
Elephant

The widening gap between great runners and good runners

#1 Postby Tarz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:38 am

Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

Lena01
Gorilla

Re: The widening gap between great runners and good runners

#2 Postby Lena01 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Interesting article. I was thinking today about how much popularity running has gained lately and how many people participate in marathons nowadays. I didn't think about this though, it's too bad that great runners are less these days. But at least more people are getting out of their couches and running.

I don't know if people are more conformist or less competitive, maybe they just don't care. Running still pwns :augenroller:

Tarz
Elephant

Re: The widening gap between great runners and good runners

#3 Postby Tarz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:06 am

I think people just don't want to commit to the level of (hard) training that was done 20-30 years and is necessary to get top times. Maybe just don't want to graft in training as much as they used to. I think people at least have as much time, if not more these days, it's just an issue of effort and application.
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”