Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "I don't need cardio."
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:26 pm 
Manatee

"I don't need cardio." We've all heard it, and what it really means is that "I don't need cardio to look good." Maybe that's true, but a more important question is if you need cardio to be healthy... and the answer is yes! No matter who you are, you NEED cardio! Let me tell you why.

Ah, cardio. That naggy, pesky little form of exercise... it's hard work and it makes you get all sweaty. And it takes so long to get so little! But we all need cardio, even the thinest among us. Autopsies have revealed that thin, in shape people who relied on diet alone to keep thin actually had rolls of fat hidden under their skin! Ew, right? While this didn't affect their appearance, you can bet it affected their health, well-being, and likelihood of getting certain illnesses. Still think you "don't need" cardio?

So what can you do if you hate cardio? The first step is to realize that getting cardio isn't that hard - and can actually be fun! Also realize that it will be a lot easier after you get in the habit of doing it regularly, and that you can get your dose of cardio in less than 15 minutes. And, there are plenty of options available to you, so you're sure to find some form of cardio you like.

- Running or even fast walking
- Dancing
- Swimming
- Jumping (on the ground or on a trampoline)
- Biking
- Jump-roping
- Sports played for fun

Many of these exercises can be done while watching television, putting a whole new spin on the "couch potato" stereotype.

Some bulkers may feel that cardio will hinder their progress by burning calories that they need to build muscle, especially those with fast metabolisms who are already struggling to consume enough food. However, most people over estimate how many calories are burned with cardio. Even the fastest runner will only burn about 15 calories per minute, and you don't need to do a lot of cardio to keep healthy. Those calories can be gained back in a snap just by eating a small bowl of almonds after your workout.

So, get out there and do some cardio! And remember, have fun! The best form of cardio is one you enjoy doing, because if you don't enjoy cardio, it will be difficult for you to keep doing it.

Post subject: Re: "I don't need cardio."
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:28 pm 
Rabbit

great post :D

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 am 
Manatee

katheryne wrote:
great post :D

Thank you, that really means a lot to me! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:06 pm 
Elephant

I agree. It is important to do cardio to have a strong and healthy heart.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:03 pm 
Manatee

hsorlando wrote:
I agree. It is important to do cardio to have a strong and healthy heart.

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:59 am 
Stegosaurus

But, let's not forget, weight training IS cardio work to an extent. Olympic weightlifters (who train with many sets of low reps) have some of the strongest, most efficient hearts of all atheletes tested, and they're certainly not known for being people who love to do plenty of work outside the gym :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:00 am 
Elephant

Good post.

VeganEssentials wrote:
But, let's not forget, weight training IS cardio work to an extent. Olympic weightlifters (who train with many sets of low reps) have some of the strongest, most efficient hearts of all atheletes tested, and they're certainly not known for being people who love to do plenty of work outside the gym :wink:

I agree, when I do legs, especially squats, I'm huffin and puffin and my heart is workin very hard. :twisted:

:usa2: :usa2: :usa2: