Skateboarding?

Anyone else here do it?

It isn't easy being a 250 lb. 35 year old trying to get back into it again after a decade layoff, but even with all the pain, it sure is fun all over again No jumping down big stuff or handrails in my immediate future again, but just playing around on some mini ramps and re-learning all my old ledge tricks is proving to be a challenge that's making me feel like I'm a kid again

I started skating when I was about 11 and skated all through high school.. so I guess I've been skating on and off for about 12 years now. I don't skate much these days but still love it. I think I really need to get out and do it more often. It always takes a while to get used to doing tricks again, but cruising around is just like riding a bike in that you never forget how to do it

What kind of board do you ride?

I still ride an "antique" that I brought out from my last days of skating constantly as it's pretty well what I'd be riding now if I bought something new and it's held up well from being in storage for so long Phase II shop deck (8.5", I've got size 13 feet so I go wide!), Indys (can't remember the size, but whatever's on the wide end to fit 8.5"), and some 55mm Spitfires. Though, I think I'm getting ready to move into something new, as the deck has taken a beating and the wheels are showing some flat spots and every time I skate the ramp at the park, it sounds like a muffled machine gun firing

If I didn't keep spraining my wrists I'd be much happier, but I guess it just comes with the territory.

I'm in a pretty similar situation as I just pulled my board out of the cupboard after reading your post. My deck is from a NZ company called BOOM. I don't even know if they're still running, but they've always made good products but kept pretty low profile in the industry..I think I've ridden it maybe three times. It's 8" which suits me pretty well because I have pretty big feet too. My trucks are from an Aussie company called Defiant. They're not the best but they do the job ..I can't remember what my wheels are now that the logo has worn off the side.

I know what you mean with the wrists.. they always take a beating. Wrists, ankles and shins.. I have a couple of parks near my house but they're mainly street style parks. I'd love to skate a nice mini ramp but don't know of any nearby.

Just wanted to ask, are you familiar with any of the more well-known Australian skateboarders from the 90s? Don't know if that's where you were living at the time, but thought I'd ask. Darren Kaehne had stayed here as an exchange student in 1991-1992, and I'd gotten to know him pretty well during that time but lost touch after he left. Once he went back to Sydney I heard he turned pro a few years later, but I haven't had much luck tracking him down to get to catch up with him. Just curious if he was someone you'd heard of or not!

• 1 month later...

I started trying to learn to skateboard at the end of last year,at 38! I used to have an alva board back in the `80s but beer and punk rock kept me from ever learning

i started doing some sessions with a bunch of older skaters via the middle age shred web forum.. kickturns on transitions etc,nothing too exciting,i was really having fun and getting into it but i have not been on it for a few months now so i will be even worse now.I really want to get back into it as at this age this is really the last chance i will get to learn! Dunno when i will next get the chance,hopefully moving from u.k to LA next year so i hope those smooth sidewalks and boardwalks will see me out on my deck more!

Both my little (well not little anymore) cousins skates professionally. (Matt and Mike) So proud of them both. I couldn't help but to share these videos with you Matt is the blonde and Mike is the buzzed blonde.

Here's a couple of vids of them (Cream of the Crap).

They also have footage of skating in a mall and the security was chasing after them.

They are really not that bad at all.

VE you should get back into it, if you are talking about it. I bet it would be a good thing to do. Mind the bangs, cuts, broken things and bruises

Also Trev and Suz, Gourmet Vegan chef on here long board. You should msg one of them.

I remember making my first one out of my old Key Skates, and a 2x4 (wood). You would slip the skates apart and nail them to the bottom of the wood. Stearing was an ordeal.

Be funny to see me on one now.

http://abbytrysagain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/24/skates.jpghttp://www.jitterbuzz.com/toyfil/skate_key.jpg

My son is quite into it.

he just bought a new board in Boston when we were on vacation. We took cool pics of him all over the place.

Even in Grand Central Station NYC

I started fooling around with it last year and I really like it! So far just a nasty pulled groin

My son is trying to talk me into getting a long board. we'll see..............

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got back into it a few years back. I have a throw back styled board from Santa Cruz with super wide trucks and over sized wheels. I use it for just cruising though, I no longer have a death wish and we all know that broken bones at 28 are a lot different than broken bones at 15

• 3 months later...

I just bought a new board

Powell Peralta Frankie Hill - 10"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yBABpF5qL._SS400_.jpg

Indy 169's

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/images/TRK-INDY-169.jpg

Powell Peralta Rat Bones - 60mm

http://skateone.com/images/products/big/WSBARAT6090W4.jpg