Recovery time after lifting before swimming

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Addai
Rabbit

Recovery time after lifting before swimming

#1 Postby Addai » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 pm

Wasn't sure how to title this, but basically I'm at the point where I want to really get back to swimming at least 2-3 times a week, but I also don't want to reduce lifting.

If I did an upper body workout on Monday, would it be a bad idea to swim on Tuesday, keeping in mind that I'm trying to put on muscle. I know physically that I could do it, I just don't know if I then wouldn't be allowing my muscles enough time to repair themselves.

I figured that I'll be doing an upper body workout every third day now, and I just want to work swimming into that (can't do lower body for a while since I hurt my hip flexor :(.)

jamexitar
Rabbit

Re: Recovery time after lifting before swimming

#2 Postby jamexitar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm

I find myself in the exact same situation..i am thinking of getting again into swimming since my very youth..planning to do it along with weight training (propably swim on the rest days).
I hope it won't sabotage my weight training goals, but i'm afraid it will do so, since i tried going swimming recently and it really tired my body..maybe it is the first few times 'till i get used to the whole training i'm planning to do, but it discouraged me...
Some say that it's difficult to combine swimming and weights, especially if you work out with intensity ..
I think though that i'll give it a try, starting with once/week and adding littl by little...

Addai
Rabbit

#3 Postby Addai » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 pm

yeah, it's certainly quite the conundrum. i guess in my situation i'll just replace my lower body workout days with swimming. it's not a great situation for my goals, but at least i'll be moving my arse. :oops:

kumar5
Rabbit

#4 Postby kumar5 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:44 am

Same question for me too.
I want to swim once a week for the fun and for the cardio.
I'd like to train twice/thrice a week but would weekly swimming for an hour disturb muscle-gaining goals? If I didn't swim, I'd jog instead.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”