Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recovery time after lifting before swimming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 pm 
Rabbit

Wasn't sure how to title this, but basically I'm at the point where I want to really get back to swimming at least 2-3 times a week, but I also don't want to reduce lifting.

If I did an upper body workout on Monday, would it be a bad idea to swim on Tuesday, keeping in mind that I'm trying to put on muscle. I know physically that I could do it, I just don't know if I then wouldn't be allowing my muscles enough time to repair themselves.

I figured that I'll be doing an upper body workout every third day now, and I just want to work swimming into that (can't do lower body for a while since I hurt my hip flexor :(.)

Post subject: Re: Recovery time after lifting before swimming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm 
Rabbit

I find myself in the exact same situation..i am thinking of getting again into swimming since my very youth..planning to do it along with weight training (propably swim on the rest days).
I hope it won't sabotage my weight training goals, but i'm afraid it will do so, since i tried going swimming recently and it really tired my body..maybe it is the first few times 'till i get used to the whole training i'm planning to do, but it discouraged me...
Some say that it's difficult to combine swimming and weights, especially if you work out with intensity ..
I think though that i'll give it a try, starting with once/week and adding littl by little...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 pm 
Rabbit

yeah, it's certainly quite the conundrum. i guess in my situation i'll just replace my lower body workout days with swimming. it's not a great situation for my goals, but at least i'll be moving my arse. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:44 am 
Rabbit

Same question for me too.
I want to swim once a week for the fun and for the cardio.
I'd like to train twice/thrice a week but would weekly swimming for an hour disturb muscle-gaining goals? If I didn't swim, I'd jog instead.