Capoeira, anyone?

PMA

I have never trained in it, Ive always been more of a Muay Thai fan myself, then again Ive never trained in that either haha. But even tho he won the fight in an awesome fashion, had he went up against a professional fighter with experience, that martial art wouldnt have lasted. Ive watched a lot of fighting, and one thing I have learned is that there is no one martial art that can out do a mixed martial arts fighter in an mma fight. Not saying this was a fluke and Im definatly not saying its a joke or is not appliable in a fight, it obviously is, but its a much better martial art to learn to either compete in Capoeira competitions or self defense. It was invented in America by African slaves who were wanting to defend themselves when they went to escape. Its the dancing martial art because that was all the slaves were allowed to do for fun, and it looked relatively harmless to the owners, guess the joke was on them huh, hope they got to find that out the hard way.

I have never trained in it, Ive always been more of a Muay Thai fan myself, then again Ive never trained in that either haha. But even tho he won the fight in an awesome fashion, had he went up against a professional fighter with experience, that martial art wouldnt have lasted. Ive watched a lot of fighting, and one thing I have learned is that there is no one martial art that can out do a mixed martial arts fighter in an mma fight. Not saying this was a fluke and Im definatly not saying its a joke or is not appliable in a fight, it obviously is, but its a much better martial art to learn to either compete in Capoeira competitions or self defense. It was invented in America by African slaves who were wanting to defend themselves when they went to escape. Its the dancing martial art because that was all the slaves were allowed to do for fun, and it looked relatively harmless to the owners, guess the joke was on them huh, hope they got to find that out the hard way.

The guy who won that fight in the video is a mma fighter.He has awesome jitz skills.He subbed Takonori Gomi when Gomi was the Champ but it was not a title match.I think he was just putting on a show for his hometown fans in this fight because he doesn't fight like that in higher level fights.He was in the UFC not to long ado aswell.

I hope I wasnt coming off like it was a joke or anything the way he won, the way he won was freakin awesome, if Dana White saw that in the UFC he wouldve gotten KO of the night without a doubt. Dana loves knockouts like that. The cool thing is that with a lot of these strikers in MMA they swing wildly and get lucky when landing one, most of the time theyre unanswered punches and one just happens to land where it needs too. But with this style of martial art, its very precise because it needs to be, every single shot is meant to do damage. So the way he won is just amazing. Definatly think its a real cool martial art to learn, but its more of an art form than anything to me.

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking about trying Capoeira.. I just wonder about the drums.. I highly doubt they're vegan..

Really, does that matter at all? Are they going to go out and buy 20 new drums because you joined, or are they going to just be using the drums that they've already had for years?

Honestly, it's stuff like that that really gets me sometimes. It's like saying you're not going to go to a concert at Carnegie hall, because the 100 year-old piano they'll be playing has keys made of ivory. Would your participation change what happened in any way? No.

That's been my thought as well.

What's really bothering me though, is that you learn how to play the instruments as well. And I don't really enjoy that thought..

Of course, it doesn't really matter whether I use the drum or not, but I'd also refuse to prepare a steak.

I guess I'll join and try to avoid the drums as much as possible. After all, there are vegan musical instruments used as well..

So I've tried Capoeira for the first time yesterday. It was really great and I'll join that club.

I'm in a group with all kinds of levels, so it's very inspiring to see what you could be able to do one day, and everybody's willing to help you out.

And it's an amazing feeling to be in the Roda.

I've just returned from the second training.

It's so addictive!

And it seems like a great way to get more self-confident (which definitely won't do me any harm), and I'm always so happy and outgoing after the trainings.. It really makes my endorphines go crazy!

And.. I've never had sore muscles like that before haha

Anybody who thinks about trying it should really just try it and see if it's the right thing for them..

• 3 weeks later...

I love that it's learned step-by-step. Although I'm a complete beginning I feel successful after each training because I've learned something new, and know how to do a new movement..

We have a Roda at the end of each training

I practice the dynamic moves in capoeira without the fighting aspect ie break dancing. All the same stuff that guy was using in the match especially what he did in the ring after he one.. sort of a celebratory show off dance. lol. Video was awesome btw! One of my things is that in working out my core snap rotating abilities and shoulder strength, I'll be more able to do power moves with grace. Still haven't found a good place to practice in the 3 years I've been in Portland btw. Any takers? I just need a wrestling matt specifically. None at 24 hr fitness's, nor PSU (unless you join tai kwon do club).

@Julia, that's cool that you're getting into it.

My trainers are really great and do an awesome job. They never complain about showing me moves several times until I've understood it, and always try to make me get better and better. Once a year the newbies will get their appelidos (nicknames) and first chorda. Usually you start in November, and that event will take place in November of next year. I've joined in May, but the trainers said that I'm doing great and will be able to get my chorda and appelido in November of this year