Walking/Cardiovascular Training

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Ryofire
Gorilla

Walking/Cardiovascular Training

#1 Postby Ryofire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm

My girlfriend works for the ACLU (a canvasing job). This requires her to walk door to door and ask for donations. She says she wishes to get into better shape. I told her that regular strength training can help, but in regards to cardiovascular training I don't know what to tell her. I feel if I tell her the wrong thing she can either be too tired to work, and have symptoms of overtraining, or she will be doing too little, and end up gaining unwanted weight. Any ideas on what to do?
Like the Transformers there's more to me than meets the eye.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

Re: Walking/Cardiovascular Training

#2 Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Ryofire wrote:....or she will be doing too little, and end up gaining unwanted weight....

So she would also be increasing her calorie intake? Because if she already walks, then any kind of added training won't cause her to gain weight, it would just be less effective at helping her lose weight.

Personally I'm a big fan of strength training and cardio that really uses your muscles, so bodyweight conditioning, plyometrics, etc. Think of burpees, the Insanity series, etc. I think she should try doing as much exercise as she thinks she can, then backing off a bit if she feels too tired during the days....
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

Ryofire
Gorilla

#3 Postby Ryofire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 am

Ok let me restate what I said.

I'm wondering if I should tell her to just do regular strength training, and only get her cardio in by walking? Or should I tell her to do other forms of cardio, treadmill, eliptical, biking, etc?
Like the Transformers there's more to me than meets the eye.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#4 Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 am

Oh sorry! I think some moderate intensity cardio can be really beneficial for the heart. It also comes down to what she enjoys doing. If she hates weights and loves to run, then let her go for it!
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

fatburningfurnace
Rabbit

#5 Postby fatburningfurnace » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm

With her job having her walk door to door it sounds like she is getting a good
Amount of cardiomat her job. Hav her get in the gym 3-4 days a week and do some high rep low weight lifting- this will really help.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”