Mike Tyson Goes Vegan

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

Mike Tyson Goes Vegan

#1 Postby beforewisdom » Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 am

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

cubby2112
Elephant

Re: Mike Tyson Goes Vegan

#2 Postby cubby2112 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 am

Wow. Never saw that coming.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

vegimator
Manatee

#3 Postby vegimator » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Are ears vegan?

Seriously, that is unexpected.

tuc
Elephant

#4 Postby tuc » Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Wow, this is wonderful news! :D GO MIKE!
Y.E.A.H. B.U.D.D.Y. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
(citation of Lean & Green) Click here for more yeah buddies!

I run a vegan food webstore and retail store chain in Finland. Please check http://www.vegetukku.fi for more information (sry, only in Finnish)!

pazios2002
Elephant

#5 Postby pazios2002 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 pm

I think he meant he eats vegans.
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#6 Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 pm

I can't tell if this is good or bad for vegan activism...
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

Vegan Joe
Stegosaurus

#7 Postby Vegan Joe » Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 pm

How does pigeon racing fit into a vegan life style?
I wonder if he'll eat the pigeon eggs (if you know where I'm coming from)?

But on another note: Way to go Mike.
People are going to believe what they believe, until they hear the right (logical) argument.
So if it furthers the exposure to people, it's not a bad thing.

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

Cold Fission
Gorilla

#8 Postby Cold Fission » Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 am

If any of you from the US get the link to this when it airs please post it here.

Thanks!
I love you (♥ó㉨ò)ノ♡

Ted Trendy
Manatee

#9 Postby Ted Trendy » Sat May 08, 2010 10:49 am

as long as hes not a quitter like zooey deschanel...boooo.
PLANT BASED PERSONAL TRAINING - VEGAN POSITIVE ATHLETIC GEAR - MOTIVATION
MONTHLY CONTESTS - NUTRITION - GROUP ACTIVITIES - TRIATHLON - MARATHON

b.k.
Finch

#10 Postby b.k. » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:30 am

He was vegetarian for 25 years before that right? How come he is not featured on the profiles page of this website? Maybe we should wright a letter to him and he will be more than happy to support veganbodybuilding?

VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus

#11 Postby VeganEssentials » Thu May 10, 2012 2:43 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:I can't tell if this is good or bad for vegan activism...

I can only see it as bad. Embracing a man who is a convicted felon/rapist/wife beater who has also bitten the ear off of an opponent in the boxing ring only tells the world "Those wacky vegans will embrace ANY kook who takes to their diet!"

I gripe to my wife constantly about the need for veganism to not look to make a poster child of everyone with a familiar name as if they are a great spokesperson for the movement. It makes us look desperate when we're willing to overlook a shitload of terrible acts someone performed just because they share a lifestyle and diet factor.

Good on Mike if he's been vegan for a while, but he's about the last person I'd bother to use as a reference point on encouraging others to change to a vegan lifestyle. It only cheapens veagnism by grasping for any famous name to add to the roster of people to say "So-and-so is vegan, so you should be, too!"

Old thread, but it's never too late to put in my 2 cents! :wink:
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

robert
Site Admin

#12 Postby robert » Thu May 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Ryan,

I agree with the first couple of paragraphs, but one thing I would argue is to look at the actual transformation. Mike went from being over 400 pounds, to a trim, healthy and happy 200 pounds. Since 1/3 of the country is obese, I think this has the chance to resonate with tens of millions of people, perhaps hundreds of million nationally and globally.

He does have a rough and violent past, but the health transformation alone is worth considering to some degree.

A lot of us (me and you) and millions of others are animal-rights driven vegans, but (at the moment) the fact it, the "health" aspect of veganism is having such a profound impact on society. When we first became vegan it was actually a "health concern." Many people thought avoiding animal products was a direct health risk. It has taken a full 180 degree turn over the past 15 years, and now is not only not considered a health risk, but is becoming widely accepted as a dramatic health benefit.

That's my $.02 ;)

I met Mike briefly in January and he genuinely seems to be making sincere efforts to be a good, positive person moving forward.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

mrsbadmouth
Rabbit

#13 Postby mrsbadmouth » Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am

VeganEssentials wrote:It only cheapens veagnism by grasping for any famous name to add to the roster of people to say "So-and-so is vegan, so you should be, too!"

Sometimes people will ask me what celebrities are vegan, and the only ones I will always say are 100% are Emily Deschanel and Joaquin Phoenix (oh, and Geezer Butler), because they're both long-term vegans and activists. Sometimes I will say Weird Al is 'almost vegan'. So many people announce their veganism, do work for Farm Sanctuary, then a year later they're on Jimmy Kimmel talking about bacon wrapped meatloaf or tweeting about how they had egg whites for breakfast (ahem, Ginnifer Goodwin and Bob Harper).

And yes it exciting when Ozzy and other people say they watched Forks Over Knives and changed their diet, but no-fat 'plant-based' eating is just the latest fad diet, and after the next new thing comes along, a lot of those people will follow that. But by publicly announcing these things, they're bound to influence readers to investigate veganism, and if even a few of them stick with it, there are more vegans in the world. Yay!

I'm not a fan of violent sex offenders and obviously I don't follow Mike Tyson around, but i'd like to think that people can change and be rehabilitated.

Wamrage
Rabbit

#14 Postby Wamrage » Sat May 12, 2012 5:15 am

this should be good. Don't know about boxers but a few mma fighters are vegans (nate diaz,jake shields,mac danzing). Not sure about Nick Diaz tho.

Duncan_Idaho
Manatee

#15 Postby Duncan_Idaho » Sat May 12, 2012 7:54 am

Yay! Good news! Hope he sticks to it. And as I tell my friends "Hey, I'm vegan, not a saint!" Welcome, Mike!
Into the fire with your soul!

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”