P90X Vegan Diet

I see on your site that when you first did P90X, you were not terribly vegan. I would like to pose a suggestion. This time, try to focus less on the protein 'requirement' of the program. You can get plenty of protein on a vegan diet, but if I remember correctly, P90X wants something like 30-40% of your calories from protein, which is quite high. Higher protein diets can help with satiety, but for repairing your body, nothing will help as much as high antioxidant foods like fruits and veggies. So I would focus more on high protein vegan foods, but whole foods, and without neglecting veggie intake! As far as proteins go, I recommend nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh, beans, quinoa, peas, and cooked veggies. You can add some fake meats and protein powders when you feel like you really need them, but try to stick to as many whole foods as you can, and worry less about your macros. 20% protein should be plenty, but if you really want to hit 30%, then that should be possible as well. BlueRose has a workout journal on here, and I believe she has done quite a bit of P90X, so maybe check out her threads.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

P90X2 actually comes with a FAR better nutrition plan, including a section just for vegans. They'll also have a vegan version of Shakeology sometime next month or so.

I personally just did my own thing. I find that protein intake varies depending upon how much you're working out, how hard you're working out, and your body weight and if you're trying to lose, your desired body weight.

What you're eating looks pretty healthy! My tip: if you get hungry, eat more veggies. Are you looking to lose, maintain, build muscle, all of the above...?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking to lose 10 lbs…and get leaner. I got the P90X2 nutrition plan--Missy Costello rocks!!

Believe it or not I've heard people get the best results with the classic version of the schedule for that. Key of course (and I'll know you'll hear it a lot) is mostly diet along with being consistent with the schedule.

I'm currently doing a P90X/P90X+ right now, spent a few weeks being sick and am now getting back on track.

I'm following classic as much as my injuries allow, I've had to take a week off of upper body workouts and focus on lower body and plyo work..but i'm gonna do my best! How do you like the P90X+ workouts?

They are tougher than the P90X ones but somewhat shorter in length. I confess to liking them being just a liiittle bit shorter, lol. I'll be alternating between it and the classic month 2. I just need an extra boost, if nothing else.

What type of injuries do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

Hmmm I might have to add them to the massive amounts of beachbody workouts that I have here =)

Oh man, I have a LOT! I played big ten volleyball, and played for 10 years, so that really messed me up. The hardest injury to work around is that I tore rib cartilage, and so I can't do a lot of ab strengthening moves, no sit ups, crunches, etc. I CAN do planks, but have to be careful because if I overdo it, then I'm back to square one in my rehab (which i've been doing since 2007…) I recently had surgery on my wrist, another volleyball injury that I'm now taking care of, and can now start lifting heavier weights again, pushups are still hard so I'm easing my way back into those. I recently tweaked my left shoulder/peck, so I'm taking it easy for a few weeks so I don't push myself into another long rehab injury. So yea….I'm the queen of modifications when it comes to working out =)

WOW. That's quite the list! I was never athletic growing up, and the injuries I got were from being hunched over the computer for hours on end for at least two decades. :-/ Yoga and a lot of core work has helped me with those, but my shoulder blades are still a bit tweaky. They're fine if I'm active, not so fine if I go inactive.

Have you tried using pushup stands?

Yoga is definitely awesome--love it! I missed it so much after my wrist surgery! Push up stands are a must for me--the tony horton power stands are amazing!!

Never used them but it's only pretty recently that I've been able to do toe pushups. I may eventually have to spring for them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Happy to say that I just got P90X Certified! I wound up learning quite a bit about the meal plan and how to take a vegan approach is frankly easy if you know how it works. P90X2 guides break it down and make it a bit more explainable, but it's the same meal plan structure, essentially.

You have a choice of three different plans: Fat Shredder, Energy Booster, and Endurance Maximizer. Their names are slightly different in P90X2 but their intent and macros are still the same.

So if anyone's doing P90X and needs help with this...holler.

As far as the differences between P90X and P90X2, I JUST started P90X2 this week so it's hard to give a full review up front. I can tell you that they're pretty different, and P90X2 is definitely challenging so far. I'm in the "Foundation" phase so I'll report back as it goes on.

Just watching the commercials for P90X2 scares me. Pushups. On. BALLS. On the other hand, a whole fresh set of Tony's bad jokes is tempting...

Ohh I'm nowhere near that stage yet, thankfully! There's a few plyo moves on those silly things and I'm doing my best. The toe tap I can do okay, forget plyo pushups over them...

But as the man himself says... "Do your best, and forget the rest!"

Uhhh never mind, those lovely pushups on the medicine balls came tonight. LOL I have utterly no shame in admitting I did them but on my knees. There were many, and two rounds of those things--AND pushups on the balance ball. And kickback balances on the balance ball. And. And. And.

I go collapse now. *thud*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

FWIW...Did P90X 3 times. Didn't follow the suggested diet, just did my own plantbased whole foods diet, did add in nutribullet for pulverizing tons of veg/fruit/nuts into a smoothie. For post workout recovery added in pea protein powder. EXCELLENT results. Didn't have to lose weight as was already fit in that regard. DID get bigger muscles and more definition. Currently only breaking out P90X routines for variety to mix it up with my Les Mills Combat (also very good!) and Kickboxing Heavy Bag Workout....

FYI, fighting, working the bag REALLY rips up your shoulders, back, legs.....

Veganbadass, are you in Colorado? If so, where?

I did 4 rounds of P90X and 3 rounds of insanity with very little results. Convinced me to get stuff checked out and I found I have a hormone problem. Now that I have that figured out, I am working on starting a round of Insanity. I hope to see some results this time!