Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vegan Kung Fu Student
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 am 
Finch

Hi everyone :hello2:

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd sign up as I've enjoyed looking through some of the threads on here.

I've lived a vegan lifestyle for just over two and a half years now.

I started kung fu a couple of months ago and I am loving it. I currently train 3 times per week which equates to 5.5hrs per week. The school teaches 5 Ancestors Fist and Shaolin 5 Animals. I haven't been doing this for long but it is already starting to tone up my body and I am feeling stronger. The training consists of about 50% body conditioning and 50% in pairs practicing moves/ forms etc.

I have found that between workouts all I want to do is rest and I am sleeping much more than before. I'm not quite sure if this is normal or if I should be eating more calories maybe? It's not that I'm just feeling a bit tired, I feel completely wiped out of energy. But I am feeling my body changing and toning up so I guess it needs to rest to rebuild itself.

I'm not quite sure if my diet is completely balanced. I would probably prefer to simplify my diet and keep it more routine. Like oats, nuts and dried fruit for breakfast. Fresh fruit for lunch and maybe a couple of whole meal bagels with humous or peanut butter on. Then a big starchy dinner plate of rice, beans etc. But I'd love any tips or advice anyone may have.

I am not a huge eater but I realise that if I want to bulk up I need to eat more. I am currently about 66kg and 5' 8". My aim isn't to grow big like a body builder. More to get stronger, faster and chunk up a bit to help make my stances and strikes more stable and powerful.

This turned out to be quite a long post so sorry for boring you. I just want to train and eat right and I'm not really sure what is the best way to go about it. I do use Chronometer to help track nutrition but I'm not really sure what my target levels of calories, protein, fats etc should be. Currently I aim for 3000 calories per day but I don't think I'm hitting that target.

Last edited by Shelter Helper on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Kung Fu Vegan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:54 pm 
VBB Moderator

Have any videos of your kung fu?

Post subject: Re: Kung Fu Vegan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 am 
Finch

It's only been a couple of months. I was thinking of filming myself doing some of the forms to help me with improving on them. If I do I'll upload them but as of yet not much to show. Much of what I have been doing so far in class has been body conditioning and some drills with partners in the class. I've learnt the first Sam Chien form and some self defence stuff.

I was just wondering what other vegans doing similar training find works for them diet wise. Currently I don't really follow a consistent diet. I try my best to have a good breakfast of oats and dried fits with soya milk. For lunch I have things like bagels with humous or salad from the salad bar at work. Then at dinner time I try to have something starchy like rice, potatoes etc. Along with beans and lots of spinach, broccoli etc. I also like to have green smoothies when I can and also try to eat dates for energy pre-training.

I'm thinking that my tiredness may in the large part also be down to having been very busy at work for a long time now. I have had the week off work and I think I might be catching up on sleep whilst also my body is adapting to the kung fu training.