Question about punching bag gloves

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Question about punching bag gloves

#1 Postby Boba138 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Hello all, I'm new here, so I hope I posted this in the correct forum :)

I have a question about punching bag gloves:

I've recently decided to get into boxing, so today I purchased a 30 kg punching bag.
I was also looking for gloves to use while training, but all of the heavier gloves they had available in the store had a leather exterior. The only non-leather gloves they had where lighter, gel padded gloves. The man responsible for the boxing equipment in the store assured me these would be sufficient for a beginner, so I purchased these as well: ... -21193613/

The wrists are quite well protected, the tape at the bottom wraps around 2 to 3 times and the wrist feels well supported. It's mainly for the knuckles that I wonder if it gives sufficient protection against injury when hitting the bag; the gel padding is about 1.2 cm thick.

Do any of you have any experience with these type of gloves? Are these sufficient for a beginner that doesn't hit very hard yet, or should I already wear a heavier type of glove with wrappings underneath?

Thanks for any advice on this,
kind regards,

Cold Fission

Re: Question about punching bag gloves

#2 Postby Cold Fission » Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 am

Never used gel gloves myself.I recommend just getting 16oz gloves bag work and/or sparring.Just search the internet for vinyl ones.That's what i do.
I love you (♥ó㉨ò)ノ♡

#3 Postby Mrs.Hassett06 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:17 pm

I bought my gloves prior to becoming vegan, but id imagine Id just do an internet search when I need a new pair.
*~*~ Embrace the suck ~*~* Spartan chicked ~ we make mud look good <3

#4 Postby peacefulwarrior » Fri May 04, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah I agree with the 16oz or even 14oz idea, I have ripped through many of pairs of gloves wasting on a heavy bag. The smaller gloves "bag gloves" used to make my knucles bleed after 30 mins of use! So do the 14 & 16 oz gloves but not till at least an hour of heavy hitting. And remember, most of the time you get what you pay for.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”