There is such thing as too much exercise.

Thanks very much Dylan for that great information. Very interesting timing for me as well, because just 2 weeks ago I found this blog, where he talks about actually doing less exercise but yet still getting better results.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2011/12/06/the-painless-path-to-endurance-plus-breville-winner-and-more/

So I actually started cutting back on my intensity 2 weeks ago along with a couple people I know to see how it goes. I am only doing an interval workout 1 time a week instead of 3 and during my other workouts try to keep my heart rate at a 60-65% range of my max. It actually is pretty hard for me to do especially on my bike rides. I really didn't realize how almost subconciously I would attack every hill I encountered, it takes a conscious effort to back off.

Exercising causes a certain amount of oxidative stress as well, so that is even more reason for active people to eat healthy getting plenty of phytonutrients and antioxidants. There has been a few long distance runners who have died from heart attacks over the years who appeared to be in great shape but weren't eating optimally.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for both articles.

10 to 15 miles a week was far lower than I would have expected the threshold for maximum health benefits from running to be, hm.

Also, I'm curious to try the nose only breathing while running mentioned in the second. I currently have the mantra "in through your nose, out through your mouth" stuck in my mind from cross country coaches I've had in the past... As much as I've heard about only breathing through the nose in every yoga class I've ever attended, I've never tried applying it consistently while running.

Focusing on process and enjoyment over the acquisition of rigidly set goals as a way of achieving more overall makes complete sense, but man, it can be difficult to break free from the "do or die" and "no pain, no gain" mindset without feeling a bit anxious about it. I remember something Brenden Brazier wrote about how allowing proper time for the body to recover from the stress placed on it during training can sometimes be the hardest thing for athletes to do. Efficient over excessive seems to be the key, but dang, defining that line is tough.

• 5 months later...