Who's watching the Olympics?

C.O.

I know they haven't officially started but I have been watching the prelims. I saw USA mens basketball vs Great Britain (why are you England sometimes solo and sometimes Great Britain?). The USA team is amazing as expected. Deron Williams was playing exceptionally well.

I watched some diving that was very impressive. Also saw the US womens qualifying 10,000 meters I think was the distance. That was a great race. The winner she definitely won mentally. After being passed by 4 people towards the end you could see her face change, tighten, complete determination and she not only passed them back for the lead but she won the race by a large margin.

-Dylan

I was a figure skater back in the day. When they started calling it Ice Wars on the nightly news, I switched off the television on the Olympics forever. Sport isn't war, it's sport. It's the beauty of the human form, it's power and ability. The fact that there are winners and losers in competitive sports is only incidental, it's merely a rule of the game. War is entirely different, where losers really do lose. To associate a physical match of athletic skill with the outright horrors of inhumanity that casualties endure in real war is just disgusting. I know they call it "war" to boost television ratings but I draw the line here.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

Watched women's soccer today, so great. Brazil beat Cameroon 5-0. Marta is definitely the best female player in the world. I hope for a Brazil vs US final. The US looks tough. Had a slow start today against France but came back from down 2-0 to win 3-2. Very impressive, its nearly impossible to come back and win from being down 2 goals.

He also lost about 10 lbs and it looked like muscle. Peter Sagan was on fire though!!! I wish Thor wouldn't have been sick cause that is my uber favorite rider period!!!!

sagan and teejayVG are my favs. although i like about everyone. i like the schlecks but i don't know whats up with them.

Okay no spoiler alerts please! I tivo'd the opening ceremonies and some of the events from the last couple of days so I will be refraining from watching any sports news until after I watch what I have recorded

I'll be watching what I can of the weightlifting.

A guy I know from the weightlifting club in my town is competing in the 94kg division on Saturday the 4th of August - Peter Kirkbride.

Completely natural lifter all his life. 24 years old.

A recent squat;

285kg (over 3x bodyweight - 628lbs for americans) without a belt, deep.

Crazy

Just watched men's 400m swimming. Awesome. And the story of the winner (won't spoil it for anyone) and his insane workouts you all gotta watch video or read about this guy. Proves when you work harder than everyone else it pays off!

I'm watching the men weightlifting 69kilo class now and it's already been really, really dramatic!

I know there is a lot of fun in supporting your own coutries team (go team GB lol!) but I'm in awe of every hardworking, dedicated, focused and talented individual that is stepping up the the plate wherever they place in the competition. There has been brilliant sport-personship demonstrated too, they all congatulate each other which is so nice to see, winning and losing with grace and they have all had to overcome mental and physical barriers to be there. And it's more than just the competitors, the coaches and training team at their side, the brilliant audiences wanting competitors to do well, the judges and adjudicators making sure all is fair and to standard, the staff and all the hard working volunteers involved in event - it's truly epic and inspiring!

I've watched some of the swimming and the archery, I want to catch some more swimming and deffo some triathlon coverage and squeeze in some boxing and martial arts and some paraolympian events.. The UK has the best blind footballing teams in the world!