Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) treatment/prevention

i love the upper body soreness from training, but hate the 2 days after a heavy leg workout. i have to walk alot in work, over rough ground and it can be a nightmare when my legs are sore.

i eat loads of fruit nowadays before and after training and i recover faster than i used to. also a light bit of cardio seems to help sometimes too even just a brisk walk with the dog.

if youve trained hard though, not much will save you from DOMS i went hiking up snowdon a few years ago with a PTI from the RAF. we had big heavy rucksacks full of gear and hiked to the top. had some food then ran down, the next day was sooooo bad i literally couldnt walk had to have a couple of days off work.

do you take vegan protein shakes? if you do, do you think they help with the soreness?

mike

Just to say, this thread isn't me asking for help, just a general discussion and a source of info for people really stuck with it :P

Personally I agree with you bud nothing is really going to save you if you are experiencing it but I always feel like a warm bath and stretch helps, especially with legs. The only other thing I'll say is that a good warm up and a good cool down/stretch after your workout is the safest approach (I'm not a professional and don't know if there is a correlation between doms and not warming/cooling) but in my experience this helps.

Haha know what you mean about the leg soreness, I cycle in the summer but not much as I completely suck! One year I cycled from my house in newport to cowes (4miles away) to see a friend and cycled back quick as I could as it was getting really dark and I had no lights (the cycle track is fucking creepy) I managed the trip back super quick but next day I could barely put my legs shoulder width apart! Oh thepain! Haha