5k races this summer

Is anyone running 5k races this summer? They are hugely popular in the US. I used to run them all the time between the ages of 17-21 and then I quit that to start bodybuilding.

Today I ran a 5k for the first time in years. I hadn't even run more than 5 times total in the past year and showed up at the race and defeated last year's champion. I ended up 5th out of about 60 and it totally shocked me.

So I'm thinking that I might run as many as I can this summer for the fun of it. I'm not sure how that will work with my bulking plans, but I'll get it sorted out.

Anyone else running this summer?

Are you serious??????? I feel like crying....but happy tears! The Prefontaine Memorial Run I participated in back in 1999 was the most powerful experience of my life. It might take me 10 pages or more to explain why, but I'll tell you sometime.

There was something about spending time with Pre's parents, while watching a video of his Olympic race that was more powerful than anything I'd experienced. After that I pretty much achieved every goal I had for myself, setting all kinds of personal records, school academic records, etc.

I've been Driven by PRE ever since.

In fact I went to the University of Oregon Bookstore to have them carry my DVD and just being there with all the PRE clothing, posters, etc. was overwhelming and once I talked with the guy about carrying the DVDs we were both fighting back tears and wiping our eyes as we talked about how Pre has touched our lives.

Anyway, I'm starting to get sad now, I have to stop writing....but ironically, hours before seeing this post I packed the Documentary of Steve Prefontaine in my backpack for you to watch.

I'll be up there in less than 2 hours. I had no idea you had some interest in Pre...unless it's just some random race you want to do...but I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about....but it's one conversation you might not get any words in......he's changed my life more than I could ever imagine possible. I think I'll write a book about it.

See you in a while, let's go running and let's do that race! I Just hope I won't be out of town on a Vega trip during that time, which I fear could be the case. We'll chat about it.

Hey Robert...are you sure thats not over your head...remember how much energy you had left at the end of the 5k Anyway Pre will get you on it...in HS all my track buddies would get together and watch on of the 2 Pre movies the night before state championships...don't think the cross country team would have won states without it

Are you serious???????

yes!

hah..& OF COURSE I know who/admire Steve Prefontaine...

I approach everything in my life from an artistic stand point, and

pursuit, and he was the best.

Whoever, I did not know there was a memorial race for him in his

hometown until I read about that one, so I am interested in participating!

"A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding."

--Pre

You are becoming more awesome everyday! This is Great!

Another quote that was running through my head in my 5k on Saturday (actually over and over in my head) was:

"If it comes down to a pure guts race, I'm the only one who can win." I'm ashamed to say I'm not sure if I have it word for word, but if I'm off, it's only by a couple of words at most. But it could be spot on.

I think pure guts is the only reason I had success in running for the 3 or 4 years I as competitive.

We can always go faster, push ourselves harder, but we don't because of consequences....pain, lack of air, fear, etc. When you learn how to overcome those fears and just leave everything you have out there on the race course, it is one of the greatest feelings anyone can every experience. It has only happened to me a few times, but on one of those magical days I beat two Olympic runners

It's a special feeling.

I'm at a library now and have to go...but I'll start a PRE thread soon, since he is basically the main reason I have been able to achieve goals in vegan bodybuilding and in life, that most people would have never expected.

Go PRE!