It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:33 pm 
Manatee

sinisterkungfu wrote:
BJJVegan wrote:
PaulIndeed wrote:
I really want to get into some kind of martial art. It seems that BJJ is one of the most popular ones. Would this be good for someone who has had literally no experience in any martial arts?

In my opinion BJJ is the most practical. I mean 90% of fights go to the ground. And if someone takes you there its awesome to know what to do because in Jiu Jitsu you live on the ground. Greta work out too! :wink:

90% of fights may go to the ground, but BJJ isn't very practical outside of the ring. The last thing you want to do in a street fight is pull guard.

I completely disagree with that statement. And in Jiu Jitsu you dont just pull guard. In any fight you can just take it to the ground say get knee mount and punch the crap out of them. Or say they are on top, put them in a triangle choke, not tight enough to make them pass out, and punch em at will. BJJ is more practical then karate or kung fu. Hands down.

http://myspace.com/jimmybshmitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:05 pm 
Elephant

sinisterkungfu wrote:
BJJVegan wrote:
PaulIndeed wrote:
I really want to get into some kind of martial art. It seems that BJJ is one of the most popular ones. Would this be good for someone who has had literally no experience in any martial arts?

In my opinion BJJ is the most practical. I mean 90% of fights go to the ground. And if someone takes you there its awesome to know what to do because in Jiu Jitsu you live on the ground. Greta work out too! :wink:

90% of fights may go to the ground, but BJJ isn't very practical outside of the ring. The last thing you want to do in a street fight is pull guard.

HAHAHHAAHA. Kung fu eh? whatever you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:20 am 
Gorilla

xdarthveganx wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:
BJJVegan wrote:
PaulIndeed wrote:

Just for the record, I don't do Kung Fu. :roll:
I have recently started training in Muay Thai though.
And I stand by my previous statement 100%, based on input from quite a few fighters and bouncers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:25 am 
Elephant

sinisterkungfu wrote:
xdarthveganx wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:
BJJVegan wrote:
PaulIndeed wrote:

Just for the record, I don't do Kung Fu. :roll:
I have recently started training in Muay Thai though.
And I stand by my previous statement 100%, based on input from quite a few fighters and bouncers.

Hmm well not to say ive been in alot of street fights or anything. But I have had my fair share. I have jumped to gaurd a number of times with no problems. Plus you can always clinch and then get an easy sweep. FYI I have beat up a couple bouncers jumping to gaurd. A head bouncer attacked me at a show, I ended up jumping to gaurd and almost breaking his arm. From what I heard he had trouble with that arm for months. So I stand by my previous statement 100% as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:57 pm 
Manatee

darth, seeing that you hate Matt Hughes, what did you think of the Matt Hughes VS Royce Gracie fight? I have to say i was pretty dissapointed in the outcome. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:26 pm 
Elephant

BJJVegan wrote:
darth, seeing that you hate Matt Hughes, what did you think of the Matt Hughes VS Royce Gracie fight? I have to say i was pretty dissapointed in the outcome. :cry:

I actually had tears in my eyes. Then I went to my comp and watched Matt Hughes V. BJ Penn over and over and over. Then I felt better.

Post subject: trainning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:55 pm 
Rabbit

I have been trainning for about 2 1/2 years I hope to have my blue belt very shotly.

Post subject: Re: trainning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:05 pm 
Manatee

tdog wrote:
I have been trainning for about 2 1/2 years I hope to have my blue belt very shotly.

Oh youll get your blue belt. Youre allready at that level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:06 pm 
Manatee

xdarthveganx wrote:
BJJVegan wrote:

I actually had tears in my eyes. Then I went to my comp and watched Matt Hughes V. BJ Penn over and over and over. Then I felt better.

Thats funny :lol: That BJ Penn VS Matt Hughes fight was a good one.
Also i hope George St. Pierre tears through Matt Hughes next time for the welterweight title match!

Post subject: Blue belt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:17 pm 
Rabbit

Hey thanks man. Will we see you at the tournament this weekend ?

Post subject: Re: Where do you all train at
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:19 pm 
Elephant

tdog wrote:
I train at NorthWest Martail arts Team Megaton in Eugene. They are going to be having a tournament on July 1 www.nwmaacademy.com

Saw a guy wearing one of their Tshirts last friday while I was shopping at Market of Choice down in Eugene...

Post subject: Re: Where do you all train at
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:26 pm 
Elephant

loveliberate wrote:
tdog wrote:
I train at NorthWest Martail arts Team Megaton in Eugene. They are going to be having a tournament on July 1 www.nwmaacademy.com

Saw a guy wearing one of their Tshirts last friday while I was shopping at Market of Choice down in Eugene...

Hmm still havent really been down to eugene yet. Stopped for like 10 minutes when I moved to portland to get gas I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:38 pm 
Elephant

I like Eugene a lot. It's pretty quiet and mellow for the most part and extremely veg & natural foods friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:39 pm 
Elephant

loveliberate wrote:
I like Eugene a lot. It's pretty quiet and mellow for the most part and extremely veg & natural foods friendly.

I am always down to try new veg friendly or veg restraunts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:41 pm 
Rabbit

nwma is out of Eugene on Charnleton almost across the street from the lotus garden one of my favorite places to eat when I am in the area.