Lifting with the legs hurts flexibility/speed?

Well, as I have stated in my intro I am a Martial Arts guy. Taekwondo right now to be exact. I don't have any competitions coming up in the near future so I am not too concerned with the short term effects. Obviously I understand after starting a new leg routine my legs will be sore and stiff, it is something I will have to suck for awhile while training and practicing. However, what I am worried about is the long term effects of building mass around the legs... I definitely can't afford to hurt my quickness and flexibility.. especially in a kicking art.

Anyone have any experiences with that? Perhaps others involved in Martial Arts? I don't want to get big and cut in my upper body and end up with skinnier looking legs, and there is obviously some mass building potential down there, but at the same time I can't compromise speed and flexibility. I want to see what others think BEFORE I start doing any leg routines.

Hey man, I'm a taekwondo student and I've gotta say getting bigger is going to improve sparring (in my experience) if you're concerned about flexibility and speed then just train for strength, lower reps and higher weights! just out of out curiosity what belt grade are you mate?

Actually just got my black belt like a month ago, so I am really trying not to lose too much flexibility now. I think I'll give some lifting with my legs a try tomorrow, something pretty easy just to start off with and get my legs use to lifting again. Low reps and high weights of course.

I had some friends that had more flexibility than me while lifting when I used to train Martial Arts. ( note that I was pretty flexible, had an impressive kick range )

I think that this idea that lifting weights harm your flexibility comes from observing most lifters that usually have zero flexibility. But we have to remember that the vast majority don`t follow a good stretching routine and as a martial artist I think you have this routine, and it must be a pretty solid one.

So my advice is to focus on your stretching and start being afraid only if you lose a noticeable amount of flexibility.

I agree with maybenot. I'm a hell of a lot more flexible than any of the other guys I see in the gym because I stretch before and after each workout. Dynamic stretches before and static stretches after. As an example, once I've stretched out afterwards, I can stand barefoot with locked knees and touch my palms to the ground. All I do is heavy strength training/powerlifting. I'm not sure what level of flexibility is required for martial arts, but as long as you continue to do a lot of stretching with your lifting you probably won't lose a lot of flexibility, and might just maintain your current level.