flexibility

muchidna

Hey guys, i'm wanting to improve my flexibility, mainly in my ankles for squats-type lifts that require alot of flexibility

anyway, here's a bit of a story

as a kid i walked on my toes alot, alot alot, possibly related to a certain neurological thing that i have, i also played video games alot, and was off my feet alot, since i started lifting and fitness, i've avoided squats, deadlifts, and a couple other very good exercises because my ankles have a limited range of motion, particularly my right ankle

over the last 2 or so months, i've been doing some stretching exercises every time i think of it, so like 3 or 4 times a day, along with throwing in some stretches in the leg press and holding for about 20 seconds at like 70 or 80 kilos

i also would like to improve flexibility in the rest of my legs too, but my ankles are my biggest problem

i guess my question is, has anyone else set out to improve their flexibility in certain areas, and had a noticable, measurable improvement?, what sort of time framee, and what methods are the best for improving flexibility

any ideas?

This what I use when I start to feel tightness in one of my feet and ankles. Kind of a prehab routine for me now. I had a really bad case of plantar fasciitis. Drove me crazy for a few months. It end up carrying over tightness all the way up my knee. The full rehab for my faciitis was more involved but these three exercises are what helped mostly with the ankle tightness.

Wall Dorsiflexion

Stand a few inches away from a wall and place one foot behind you. Bend the lead leg, trying to touch the wall with your knee by dorsiflexing your ankle. Don’t pause at the wall; bring it right back, because this is a mobility drill. Do five touches with each ankle, then move back an inch or two and repeat the process. Go as far back as you can while keeping your heels on the ground. Keep the weight on your heels and don’t push with your toes.

Wall Dorsiflexion with Tennis Ball Work

Perform the wall dorsiflexion as usual, only this time use a tennis, lacrosse, or baseball to work your calf. Each time you dorsiflex, roll your calf, starting right below the calf muscle and working up toward the back of your knee. Go easy at first. This should break up the tension and relieve that pressure on the tops of your feet (if you had it).

Foot Rolling

Fascia, the layer of fibrous connective tissue in the body, is continuous and uninterrupted. Tight fascia in the feet, then, is connected to and has an effect on tightness in the ankles and calf. Take the same tennis ball and roll the bottom of your foot along it, working the fascia. If it hurts, you’re probably tight, and that tightness could be carrying over to your ankle mobility.