Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: depression & fitness
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:29 am 
Finch

Hi everyone, i've basically been doing classes for the past 3 or 4 years, mainly just making up for my missed school years, anyway, i'm now, and have been doing for the last 5 months studying to get into a career which i'm not entirely sure about anymore, it's still definately something that interests me, and i would do on my own without qualifications as a hobby, but now, in the leadup to starting a bachelor in the subject (a 4 year long course) , and doing, essentially a pre- bachellor half year course, i've found i've been really stressed out, and just now becoming depressed about it, thinking, why am i doing this, and just wanting to dissapear to another country for a year

anyway, during this time i started working out, basically since i started this class, aswell as eating healthy, and has basically become a big release for me, and helped keep me sane by having it in my routine

right now i'm convinced i would be much happier pursuing a career in fitness, probably personal training, i want to abandon this course and start a certificate in fitness next year
there are several obstacles for this for me though
so far, my family has been supporting me, i'm not sure how i could justify dropping this class to them
right now, i'm getting stronger, i have a history of cardio and sports, but i'm still quite skinny (though i'm getting bigger) - arent you required to pass physical tests to become a personal trainer, or study fitness?
anyway, a little more info about me
i've been progressively becoming more obsessed about health, healthy eating, and nutrition, i haven't eaten any form of junk food in years and i've been vegan for over half my life (i'm 22 now)
from this i've also done my own research on nutrition, diets, exercise, calories etc and been able to motivate some of my family members to lose weight

also, my short term dream would be to find any job i can, save up some more money (i already have some good savings) and just dissapear from here, fly to america and live there for 6-12 months, and get some work there (anyone hiring in california/san francisco? lol), and meet some friends i have in san francisco, possibly study fitness while i'm there
then once i get home, i'll hopefully be ready to commit to a career (right now, i feel like i want to go and do something before i commit to study, or career or anything like that)

anyway, anyone have any thoughts? is it possible for a newbie to get into personal training? any work in california? LOL, also sorry for the long post

Post subject: Re: depression & fitness
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:26 pm 
VBB Moderator

Sounds like you know what you want to do, so go make it happen! It doesn't sound like you have done much research into qualifications for becoming a personal trainer or the job market for that. It seems to be a rapidly growing field though. My suggestion would be do some research, google is a wonderful thing haha. Follow your dreams, 22 is super young, have no regrets!