Dangers of yoga article

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Dangers of yoga article

#1 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Happened to come across this interesting article about the dangers of yoga...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -good.html

User avatar
vegan_rossco
Batman
Posts: 1632
Age: 27
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Location: Isle of Wight, England

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#2 Postby vegan_rossco » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Eurghhhhh even if the article is right, I won't read or believe anything the daily mail say haha
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#3 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:02 pm

LOL, in fairness the media are just presenting the information at hand.

User avatar
vegan_rossco
Batman
Posts: 1632
Age: 27
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Location: Isle of Wight, England

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#4 Postby vegan_rossco » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Yeah I suppose so, but the daily mail claim everything is bad for you/gives you cancer ahha, read a bit of the article but I peeked at some of the comments and got shitty about right wing bigots hahaha
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#5 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Yeah seen that lol, i know were your coming from though, the media can over state the facts to make it more dramatic and bold. Personally though, i don't doubt some of the findings, the exaggerated ranges of motion, and obscure positions held for prolonged periods for many is just asking for trouble.

User avatar
BeansNBroccoli
Manatee
Posts: 264
Age: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: gainesville, fl

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#6 Postby BeansNBroccoli » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 pm

In my opinion, yoga doesn't really have any more potential to cause bodily harm than strength training. Both require that you listen to your body, learn things slowly, and pay attention to the alignment of your muscles, bones, and connective tissue. Anyone who is injuring themselves doing yoga has done so because they pushed too hard, too fast, and didn't listen to their bodies. This is a common problem through any sort of exercise program.

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#7 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

That's true B&B, though if you weight train wisely, ie controlled none explosive reps, smooth turnarounds, (and not using exaggerated ranges of motion), the potential for injury is much lower. The thing with flexibility is, it has a strongly genetically mediated limit, a muscle can not "increase" its flexibility without tearing something or losing its tonus, but with yoga, one is encouraged over time to push that genetically mediated limit further, which is not the best idea, as this is one limit that can not be transcended.

User avatar
vegantri
Rabbit
Posts: 91
Age: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Austin, Tx

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#8 Postby vegantri » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 pm

I have been doing yoga for a little over a decade and I would say the statement "but with yoga, one is encouraged over time to push that genetically mediated limit further" is flat out incorrect. I have never met a yoga instructor that would tell you to push past what your body to do or encourage you to do so. I would also say the article is taking the danger of doing back bends, which really aren't that common in yoga practice, and making some blanket claims. B&B is spot on, any exercise comes with risk and people should listen to their bodies.

User avatar
BeansNBroccoli
Manatee
Posts: 264
Age: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: gainesville, fl

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#9 Postby BeansNBroccoli » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 pm

In both strength training and yoga practice, we are pushing our bodies to adapt. There's no genetically mediated limit of adaptation that we're running up against. And I'd second vegantri that any instructor is not going to push a student past a limit that is reasonable for their bodies. Generally options are given for varying difficulties of poses so that anyone from a beginner to someone with an advanced practice can get the most possible out of class while still practicing safely. Strength training is consistently rated as one of the safest sports, and I agree with that, but yoga is right up there next to it, given that both are practiced knowledgeably and safely. I'd actually argue that they have great cross over in making many aspects of training or practicing safer and easier.

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#10 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

vegantri wrote:I have been doing yoga for a little over a decade and I would say the statement "but with yoga, one is encouraged over time to push that genetically mediated limit further" is flat out incorrect. I have never met a yoga instructor that would tell you to push past what your body to do or encourage you to do so. I would also say the article is taking the danger of doing back bends, which really aren't that common in yoga practice, and making some blanket claims. B&B is spot on, any exercise comes with risk and people should listen to their bodies.



Perhaps its "flat out incorrect" with YOUR experience, they must do things differently in the U.S, several years ago for a period of 3 years i also practiced yoga in 2 different countries with several instructors (as a supplement to martial arts training), i found for MY experience what i stated to be flat out true, i was encourage to push my limits (positions of exaggerated range of motion held for prolonged periods), as where others in the classes i attended....despite the fact some of those people were complaining of back pain, hip pain, wrist pain etc.
Last edited by HIT Rob on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#11 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

BeansNBroccoli wrote:In both strength training and yoga practice, we are pushing our bodies to adapt. There's no genetically mediated limit of adaptation that we're running up against. And I'd second vegantri that any instructor is not going to push a student past a limit that is reasonable for their bodies. Generally options are given for varying difficulties of poses so that anyone from a beginner to someone with an advanced practice can get the most possible out of class while still practicing safely. Strength training is consistently rated as one of the safest sports, and I agree with that, but yoga is right up there next to it, given that both are practiced knowledgeably and safely. I'd actually argue that they have great cross over in making many aspects of training or practicing safer and easier.


"There's no genetically mediated limit of adaptation that we're running up against"

Perhaps i'm picking this up wrong, but are you suggesting that we as individuals don't have a genetically mediated limit for flexibility or increasing strength?

User avatar
BeansNBroccoli
Manatee
Posts: 264
Age: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: gainesville, fl

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#12 Postby BeansNBroccoli » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:11 pm

HIT Rob wrote:"There's no genetically mediated limit of adaptation that we're running up against"

Perhaps i'm picking this up wrong, but are you suggesting that we as individuals don't have a genetically mediated limit for flexibility or increasing strength?


What I'm saying is that each individual's limit, be it strength or flexibility, is a moving target that will change with training and adaptation. Right now my strength limit and flexibility limit is different than it was a year ago, and different than it will be a year in the future. I do not believe that there is any specific genetic code that dictates that an individual will only be able to increase their strength up to some certain point, and never ever any further. Of course flexibility is slightly different because at some point you will be hindered by actual physical objects (you can't stretch your leg through your chest, for instance, no matter how flexible you are). However, I believe there is pretty much always room for adaptation.

User avatar
vegantri
Rabbit
Posts: 91
Age: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Austin, Tx

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#13 Postby vegantri » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:30 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eva-norlyk-smith-phd/yoga-injuries-debate_b_2896134.html

Here is are article that tries to put some data behind Yoga and injuries, specifically what is claimed in the article you posted to and the book that it references. Not terribly surprising the injury rate from Yoga is significantly lower than that of weightlifting. Lifting is 4 times as high. It also points out that one of the studies that the book and article use was cited incorrectly to the point that the authors of the studies have refuted the claims made based on their study.

User avatar
BeansNBroccoli
Manatee
Posts: 264
Age: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: gainesville, fl

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#14 Postby BeansNBroccoli » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:35 pm

vegantri wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eva-norlyk-smith-phd/yoga-injuries-debate_b_2896134.html

Here is are article that tries to put some data behind Yoga and injuries, specifically what is claimed in the article you posted to and the book that it references. Not terribly surprising the injury rate from Yoga is significantly lower than that of weightlifting. Lifting is 4 times as high. It also points out that one of the studies that the book and article use was cited incorrectly to the point that the authors of the studies have refuted the claims made based on their study.



Wow, what a great article with tons of links to primary sources. Thanks for sharing.

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Dangers of yoga article

#15 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:08 pm

BeansNBroccoli wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:"There's no genetically mediated limit of adaptation that we're running up against"

Perhaps i'm picking this up wrong, but are you suggesting that we as individuals don't have a genetically mediated limit for flexibility or increasing strength?


What I'm saying is that each individual's limit, be it strength or flexibility, is a moving target that will change with training and adaptation. Right now my strength limit and flexibility limit is different than it was a year ago, and different than it will be a year in the future. I do not believe that there is any specific genetic code that dictates that an individual will only be able to increase their strength up to some certain point, and never ever any further. Of course flexibility is slightly different because at some point you will be hindered by actual physical objects (you can't stretch your leg through your chest, for instance, no matter how flexible you are). However, I believe there is pretty much always room for adaptation.



Ahh, i'm with ya now mate, I believe there is a limit, and reason being, there are many genetically limiting factors among individuals, when it comes to strength and muscle size for example, skeletal formation, muscle belly length, metabolism, muscle fiber density, nero-musculature efficiency, intra-muscular coordination as well as physiological barriers that all play a role in determining how far an individual can go. When it comes to flexibility, the same is true, there are genetically limiting factors. This being true, it only stands to reason that where there is genetically limiting factors, there is a genetically mediated limit.


Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Patriotcxu and 7 guests