Stretching

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

AZvegan
Rabbit

Stretching

#1 Postby AZvegan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:54 am

My question is about stretching as you can tell by the subject. I recently sprained my lower back and have been out of commission for a while. I don't like taking drugs unless there is no other choice, so after three months of not being able to properly do cardio or weight lift, I finally went to a Naturalpathic Center. I received some acupuncture treatments and I feel great and I am ready to hit the gym again. One thing the Dr. told me is that I need to stretch which I couldn't agree with more. I have never really done any stretching and I need some advice on when to stretch (I believe after I work out but I'm not really sure, and what about on off days?) and what stretching exercise are actually beneficial. Any advice to steer me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!
Bill

HIT Rob
Gorilla

Re: Stretching

#2 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi Bill,

I would completely disagree with your Dr, contrary to popular belief, stretching does not...
- warm up muscles
- help prevent an injury
- make you more flexiable
- help you recover from an injury quicker

This is not merely my opinion, but rather the conclusion of scientists and physiologists who have studied stretching and its effect on the body.
Blood it the bodies best healer, and its the contraction of a muscle that draws blood into it. I've 3 herniated discs in my lower back, I've suffered with back (as well groin pain from pressure being put on nerves in my lower back) all of my adult life, all I ever found stretching did, was give temporary relief.
One movement I found helped a lot was a seated low back machine, one that straps or locks your hips down, I focused on the contracted half of the movement, made a big difference.

Recio
Rabbit

#3 Postby Recio » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:45 am

Try to make it stronger. Handstands, reverse leg raises, etc are good exercises. You need to talk to your dr so you do the right exercises or even rest, though.

Massages are great for me.

AZvegan
Rabbit

#4 Postby AZvegan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 am

The Doctor did deep tissue message and acupuncture with a little chiropractic adjustments. All new to me and even a little bit frighting; however it worked. I feel as good as it gets and I have been back at the gym without any drugs. I am planning on getting a professional deep tissue message in a few weeks because I do still have tight muscles. I do my stretching religiously now and will never again take it for granted. Everyone should make stretching a part of their workout routine; it's a perfect way to end your workout.

tylerpc73
Rabbit

#5 Postby tylerpc73 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:06 pm

I think it is safer to start off with foam rolling sessions to increase flexibility rather than static stretching. You could push yourself too far with static stretching
Hey guys just here to get some good advice on vegan bodybuilding. Check out my fitness website here:http://www.ptpioneer.com/

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”