Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone do self defense? Lets all help each other?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:40 am 
Elephant

So I am starting to watch videos on self defense (thanks college for getting me back into it) and i was thinking that we could all help each other on here as well as preserve our memory of the techniques by posting up on here and asking questions on it. I am currently watching a video called "Bas Ruttens Legal Street Fighting" and I must say he is very effective with his techniques. Anyone want to give this a go with me? I have no sparring partner, so it would help me and you as well if you don't either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:58 pm 
Gorilla

Id love to learn to self defend. I want to take some sort of martial arts sometime.

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:09 pm 
Elephant

Hi Kollision.

I don't get it - do you mean we should get the same video and train each at home the same moves and then discuss the training here??

I think self defense training without a training partner is about as effective as bodybuilding without weights*...
You need good sparring partners. You can't just do shadow moves and think you're up to self-defend. It's better than nothing, but real martial art training requires others to train with.

* That's not zero effective, mind ;) It's just inferior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:34 pm 
Elephant

Just put a picture up on a wall of your enemy and punch it until your fists become sore, swollen, and bruised. This technique will not improve your ability to throw your attacker nor defend yourself from them, but if you hit them your fists wont hurt if you have been using this technique for a few month or years. On second thought a wall does not make a very good sparring partner. Koll if I lived in Cali i'd work with you on this, but you are huge so I wouldn't be able to help you very much. Have you thought about pissing off some wrestlers from the UFC and fighting them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:27 am 
you won't really learn shit without proper training, technique and light-med contact sparring.

i find it good to spar with people a lot better than you, so you get quite hurt if you do stupid shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 am 
Rabbit

Have you guys heard about this stuff called Capoeira? Its crazy... its like a dance self defense thing.... friggin amazing stuff. Google it sometime and just look at what some of these people do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:18 am 
a couple of my friends used to teach it, it's a brazilian style that was disguised as dance so they could train while they were captured/conquered without alerting their oppressors.

it's really pretty and quite gymnastic, but i'm not sure how practical it is for brawling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:40 am 
Rabbit

I think its great you're training in self defense, everyone should take some sort of self defense or martial art class at some point. I would recommend you take a class as well, its best when there is an experienced instructor to take you through the steps physically, its never quite the same on video, although you do get some great fancy moves sometimes. Plus, in a class you'll get to train with different people of different shapes and sizes, the whole class experience will help you become more adaptive to different scenarios.

Capoeira, is a great martial art, concentrated mostly on kicks. I'd like to take a few capoeira classes on day. I did take two years of Tae Kwon Do a few years back, I'm in the process right now of enrolling in a Aikido class. Martial arts is a great way to get your cardio work out, helps keep your butt in shape and safe.

I'm kind of a big guy and I know how to take hard falls, I make a great practice dummy so if anyone needs a sparring partner and lives around the LA area let me know, I could use some practice before I start my Aikido class, don’t want to get my butt kicked around by some 12 year old the first day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:13 am 
Site Admin

If / when I get some money, I want to take a self-defense class of some kind. I think it depends on what kind of instructor you get, some of them will suck a lot I imagine. To be like a black belt etc, you don't even need to be any good at fighting, you just have to had followed instructions. Instructors who have actually been in fights will have good first-hand knowledge. Although I don't actually know what I am talking about. I also want to do some kind of acrobatics class at some point so I can learn to do somersaults etc, just from an awesome point of view not from a practical point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:18 pm 
Elephant

vegankyle wrote:
Have you guys heard about this stuff called Capoeira? Its crazy... its like a dance self defense thing.... friggin amazing stuff. Google it sometime and just look at what some of these people do.

That's what Dustin Hoffman was doing in "Meet the Fockers", no?

Post subject: and art vs protection
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:10 pm 
Manatee

After having taken tae kwon do and judo for many years and like some of you having to leave it due to knee injuries from kicking air so many times I also had to give it up.
I was a correctional officer in addition to being a butcher and about a dozen other things in my life so far but I learned some training as a CO that really opened my eyes to the whole "self defense" industry. And as some of you have said, it is an industry. You really need to find someone in one of the deadlier arts to really protect yourself.
As a CO you are told to sign a paper saying your life will not be bargained for in a hostage taking among other things, so it puts things in perspective. The training is more survival defense rather than self defense. It taught one how to subdue or injure very quickly and it ain't very pretty. In fact, like wing chun ( I believe is the close contact one, I may be wrong or incorrectly spelled) much of the damage must be done without throwing your limbs out into the fray i.e., kicks, telegraphed punches to the head, etc.

Fights are over in seconds and its usually the first guy who lands a good shot. There is no glory in fighting in the street or for your life or anywhere for that matter. Unless you are a Bruce Lee, some skinny little street fighter will kick your ass every time. I've seen massive powerful men roll around the floor scratching like women and biting and doing anything they can to basically kill the other guy. It's rage, it's instant and there is NO time for thinking. It's like any sport, you're body is moving and your brain is just watching it. You shake, you drool, you bite your own lips and tongue, etc and sometimes you vomit afterwards.

First and foremost, you do not fight, you leave the scene if at all possible. If you have to fight, you don't wait to defend, you wait until the enemy enters your range and you strike at nuts, eyes, throat, solar plexus and a nerve centres and you run like hell. You don't stand around to admire anything, you hit until they stop advancing and you run like hell.

These days, everyone is carrying something so it's not even worth it to fight it out unless you are cornered.

If you want to learn to defend yourself look up SURVIVAL self defense. There is a really good guy up here in Ontario who does training like that. I'll see if I can find him again.

Don't ever kid yourself that a black belt in anything makes you king of the street.

It is so much a change in psychology as well. That's a big part of it. Ask yourself, are you able to strike a person as hard as you possibly can in the throat or stick your fingers deep into someone's eye sockets or will you freeze or just go into a defensive posture?

It's not even like sparring, it's survival, there are no rules.

Like some of you have said, you have to do it so often it becomes an auto-reaction. But it is also a journey in knowing yourself. What are you capable of doing to another human being if you or your loved one is threatened.

These days we are all more likely to be threatened so it's probably a good idea to take up some form of protection but make sure it's useful in the street because buddy isn't going to be some sparring partner in a structured classroom. He/she wants to really hurt you badly or kill you and you should be prepared to do the same if adequately trained. :!:

Peace.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Good post phoenix. I have started following a wing chun DVD, and yeah it does seem quite intensive. It is a defense or sorts, in that so far there haven't been any actual attacks, only counter-attacks, therefore it (so far) only works when an opponent has attacked. But the counter-attacks center around kicking and breaking the knee-cap, or jabbing in the eye, as well as punches to the head, and kicks to the shin and stomach. The instructor makes it clear that you are trying to deal with whatever attack is coming, from whatever fighting style or lack of fighting style, and then incapacitate the opponent quickly.

I have found the same thing regarding black belts. As far as I am concerned, you can be a black belt without knowing anything about fighting. It's like learning how to dance or follow a series of instructions. That's not to say that a black belt won't be a good fighter, just that they don't necessarily coincide. My friend who isn't black belt at tae kwon do (i can't remember what belt he is), is obviously much better at fighting than some of the people who have black belts, although it can be said he is not as good at tae kwon do.

Post subject: sounds half decent....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:28 am 
Manatee

Sounds good Richard. Hopefully the man/woman spends a little time talking about stance, intuition/gut feelings, surveying your environmemt for objects that you can use as weapons before anything happens, looking at people to get some sort of idea as to who is trouble and who is not and staying away from them, very importantly always know where the exits are!!

Train, train, train...ask friends to spook you by yelling at you or jumping out in front of you from safe distances of course!!, tap you or jab you with a broom or something when you're just hanging out or relaxing at home to rest your reflexes.

It's a lot like the "way you walk tells a prospective mugger a lot about you" stuff. It's also about how you learn to become more aware of the new or dangerous environments/individuals automatically.

But remember this: the moment you begin to think "hey, I can handle myself" or "I'm ready" or "I'm trained up" etc. and ignore warning signs you are in trouble.

We will always be better off being proactive rather than reactive.

Peace......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Nah, the video is a martial-arts video, just about the practice of wing chun, so it doesn't talk about danger etc as such. But the basis of the art does seem to be in getting 'the job' done quickly, with high injuries intended, rather than being used for sport or being used for display purposes. I would like to take real combat classes to be able to actually defend myself better. A friend of mine from highschool told me that he was beaten up in a pub a few years ago, had bones broken and was badly bleeding, and since then has learnt proper practical self defense. I am thinking of having him train me in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:57 pm 
Rabbit

I have trained in Wing Chun for some time.
I think the bottom line is the same for any martial arts/self defense:
never believe when people tell you that you'll be invincible. There is so much BS going on in this market (yes, it IS a market)... I have made a few rules for finding a good MA school:
  • Never go to a school that has ads in the newspapers around
  • Never go to a school that tries to lock you in a contract
  • If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
  • Try to find the guy that doesn't advertise much, but loves what he's doing and doesn't need to say anything to prove you his worth