2007 Pro Cycling Racing Thread

Matt

Anybody following the races this year? My buds on the Discovery Channel Team are kicking butt...Levi won the Tour of California already, and now Contador in Paris-Nice...

I pick Discovery for the Tour de France--maybe all the Grand Tours--man they will have a powerhouse team...Levi Leipheimer, Tom Danielson, Ivan Basso, Alberto Contador, George Hincapie, Janex Brajkovic, Yaroslav Popovych...

Hopefully this stupid Operation Puerto will get resolved...yuk

I think Discovery has got the team title almost in the bag but I really like Zebriskie...he's a stand up guy and I'd live to see him win the tour...he's just gotta stop having bad luck and do well in maybe 2 mountain stages and I think he's got a shot.

As for Operation Puerto...as soon as that gets figured out...surely another sting will come about but maybe not right away.

I'd like to watch all these races but I don't have a TV:(

Yeah, I like Zabriskie. I've always liked Julich, too, as he's from my area here, but he's a bit over the hill...hehe

Zabriskie reminds me of David Millar (of Scotland). They always have been good time trialists, but they really need to improve their climbing and be more consistent if they are to do well. I hope they both surprise me and get to that level.

Julich is a cool guy...he is a bit over the hill but I still wouldn't count him out. I think his problem is racing too much(which is why Lance did so well). At that age you've gotta narrow down your events or ride them for the training and not have doing well in your mind at all.

I watcehd the proloque and last stage of paris-nice.

The whole race was some great riding by discovery and of course

Contador had an amazing ride in the final stage.

Did you see that Tyler Hamilton is riding again.

I think his team will be riding the Giro d'Italia

Yeah, I wish the best for Tyler Hamilton. I met him a couple years back when he was racing collegiate and he was the most down-to-earth least arrogant person I've ever met. I truly he got shafted on this doping deal and I would never believe he would do that. I hope he gets a legitimate opportunity to show what he can do in 2007.

I'm really curious to see how he does for that Ironman relay team he's on. They're trying to break 8 hours which is really reasonable in my opinion considering the other teammates.

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. Luc van Lierde won Hawaii Ironman in 7:56 a couple years after Mark Allen's last race there. So getting a good distance runner in there is where the time gains are made, all top time trialing cyclists being somewhat equal there...

Should be able to be done.

I actually think it may have even happened already. All I know is that the team is/was made up of the 1500m freestyle world record holder and a 2:11 marathoner and they were trying for a $100,000 purse