Who are the greatest athletes in the World?

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

What are the greatest athletes in the world?

Soccer players
5
14%
Basketball players
1
3%
American Football players
1
3%
Runners
2
5%
Cyclists
2
5%
Swimmers
7
19%
Wrestlers
3
8%
Other, please share
16
43%
 
Total votes: 37

Message
Author
lelle
Elephant
Posts: 1114
Age: 33
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:52 am
Location: bamberg/germany

#16 Postby lelle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:50 am

ironman athletes!

User avatar
hsorlando
Elephant
Posts: 2579
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:40 pm
Contact:

#17 Postby hsorlando » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:34 pm

I voted for ice hockey players. I have never seen a fat, or out of shape hockey player. And anytime that I see footage on hockey players it's been of them working out lifting weights, running, and stretching, So they get my vote for best athletes.

User avatar
Odidnetne
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3899
Age: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX

#18 Postby Odidnetne » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:00 pm

hsorlando wrote:I voted for ice hockey players. I have never seen a fat, or out of shape hockey player. And anytime that I see footage on hockey players it's been of them working out lifting weights, running, and stretching....


Or fighting. ;)
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

veganpotter

#19 Postby veganpotter » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:14 pm

You haven't seen a hockey player without pads on. I practiced with the Capitals a few times when I was younger...and went to a few parties with them and quite a few of them had beer guts. They were in shape inspite of that but I'd only call a few of them lean.

User avatar
Ravi
Manatee
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

#20 Postby Ravi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:06 pm

I said swimmers because of the total body focus and mind-numbing yardage they do at the top level (starting at such a young age too)....but I'd go for triathletes if the option was there.

My friend is a pro triathlete and his training is ludicrous. He bikes more than most cyclists...plus he runs 60 miles/week and swims 20K. He also lifts a couple time (focusing on core work).

There are few sports where you can physically train 30-40+ hours a week and triathlon is one of them.

User avatar
cubby2112
Elephant
Posts: 2392
Age: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:56 pm
Location: Quad Cities, IL
Contact:

#21 Postby cubby2112 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:29 pm

Mine is for gymnasts, ironmen, MMA and strongmen. Yeah, I can't make a decision.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Dann78
Rabbit
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida.

#22 Postby Dann78 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:50 pm

I know you guys will laugh but I'll go for professional racing drivers. :shock:
Two or four wheel those guys or gals now may be sitting down but they are using every nerve and muscle they have to wrestle those machines that can easily kill them if they misteat them.

veganpotter

#23 Postby veganpotter » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:58 am

A few of the really good NASCAR drivers are fat slobs...I say no to that. Sure they use all their nerves but so do professional video game players. Motorcycle racers are very strong and fit but not the most athletic...to drive a car you can be fat if you have good reaction time...or you can just be skinny if you need to be light to race.

User avatar
Tasha
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3395
Age: 38
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Contact:

#24 Postby Tasha » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:47 am

Dann78 wrote:I know you guys will laugh but I'll go for professional racing drivers. :shock:
Two or four wheel those guys or gals now may be sitting down but they are using every nerve and muscle they have to wrestle those machines that can easily kill them if they misteat them.


How does this make them ripped and in shape :?
I Am just curious to know
Robert wrote:
My knee muscles look totally sweet where I'm holding my weiner.

Dann78
Rabbit
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida.

#25 Postby Dann78 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:28 pm

veganpotter wrote:A few of the really good NASCAR drivers are fat slobs...I say no to that.


Tony Stewart would be the only pudgy one that is consistanly a threat to win. But for the most part the rest of the top shelf drivers are lean and in shape. And take their health very seriously. (While deftly selling the worst junk food imaginable). :roll: :lol:

And some of the crewmembers are major fitness junkies.

Oh well. I missed the part about no chess players and racecar drivers in the initial post. My bad. :oops:

http://blogs.columbiatribune.com/cooldr ... rds150.jpg
http://www.racehippie.com/biographies/b ... ckflip.jpg

veganpotter

#26 Postby veganpotter » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:46 am

I don't know who it was but it was an ESPN special on a young NASCAR driver that was visually in incredible shape. However he pretty much lives on the Atkins diet...I wouldn't call that healthy. I'm sure most of them are hard core middle america meat eaters as well...meaning they eat more meat than the normal american that eats too much already. A heck of a lot of them are alcoholics too judging by somewhat regular incidents with the law...a far cry from taking care of themselves. As for the crewmembers you're correct...they need to be fast and pretty strong...unlike the drivers. However they don't really need any endurance at all...its sort of like being a designated hitter in baseball.

Dann78
Rabbit
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida.

#27 Postby Dann78 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:42 am

veganpotter wrote:I don't know who it was but it was an ESPN special on a young NASCAR driver that was visually in incredible shape. However he pretty much lives on the Atkins diet...I wouldn't call that healthy. I'm sure most of them are hard core middle america meat eaters as well...meaning they eat more meat than the normal american that eats too much already. A heck of a lot of them are alcoholics too judging by somewhat regular incidents with the law...a far cry from taking care of themselves. As for the crewmembers you're correct...they need to be fast and pretty strong...unlike the drivers. However they don't really need any endurance at all...its sort of like being a designated hitter in baseball.


I'll have to give ya the last word on this since I didn't read the initial post excluding motorsports.

I'm still a newbie and will have more to learn than to teach for quite awhile I suspect. So I don't need to hijack threads yet.

8)

veganpotter

#28 Postby veganpotter » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:25 am

Don't worry about that...springboard is on the list and divers are definitely some of the most athletic people on the planet. They(world class competitiors) tend to be extremely explosive(some can squat 3x their own bodyweight and most of them men can bench over 2x their body weight) yet very very flexible. They spend hours a day diving, cross training and doing various things like ballet/dance for body control. Most of the men later become acrobats if they retire young enough and nobody would say they aren't athletes. While most of the women(outside of the Chinese) are ex elite gymnasts that have either gotten hurt, or have grown too tall to keep doing gymnastics competitively.

Tracey
Finch
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Contact:

#29 Postby Tracey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 pm

World class mountaineers should get an honorable mention. Crazy strength and endurance, mental acuity and many of them with no supplemental oxygen. Not to mention the constant threat of death. Way gnarly.

User avatar
hsorlando
Elephant
Posts: 2579
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:40 pm
Contact:

#30 Postby hsorlando » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:01 pm

Did anyone mention surfers.
The devotion of thought to an honest achievement makes the achievement possible.


Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest