Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soccer Players
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Are there any soccer players out there who want to discuss training programs and nutrition programs? Or just chat about soccer?

I played for 10 years, Topher played for 10 years and I think Big Ben played for 10 years or longer. Funny how we all chose bodybuilding after soccer :)

I met a raw food vegan soccer player today and invited him to join the forum. Maybe he'll see this and post and chat about the world's greatest game with us!

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:43 am 
Gorilla

10 yrs :)
started out as a goalie who stared at butterflies and scratched his crotch all day, and I ended up as left wing/center foward who scored all the goals. I was always the fast kid who could do wonders with the ball.

I totally want to get back into playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Yeah man,

Let's plan on a team in Portland once we're both up there. My friend Dave (featured on the main site under why vegan) plays soccer. He and I played on the same team for years back in middle school, high school, and summer leagues. I played on an indoor team in Portland with him last winter. Good times.

I like the Goalie story. :)

-Thin Thin Soccer Him

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject: YEA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:53 pm 
Rabbit

i'm 26 and have played all my life. i still play competitively here in massachusetts. my brother plays professionally for the USL division 2 Western Mass Pioneers, they made it to the national championship game this year. anyway... i just got into weight training in january. i've put on about 15 pounds so far (i'm 5'9" and up to 160lbs now!). i really want to start getting shredded though. i need to get that thin layer or fat i have off so i have that really cut look. any suggestions? my cardio IS lacking lately so i know i have to hit that hard. what's good to get cut? i hate doing long sessions of cardio, it bores me. think that hitting the elliptical (sp?) at real intense rates for 15-20min will do? like 3 times a week? i want to get some sprints in a couple times a week as well but it's going to be getting colder here in the northeast soon. i'd love some advice, i've gained some muscle and hope to gain more, now i want to look cut too!
thanks!

i love this site and i wanted to say thanks for the hospitality, all my posts have been met with friendly advice so far. great job!

Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:04 pm 
Elephant

Yeah I used to play goalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:04 pm 
Gorilla

I got ditched for soccer tonight :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sorry Brett, I don't have any advice, I'm just venting!
These are the right guys to ask though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:02 pm 
Rabbit

don't be sad meggy. soccer is fun and hard work but whoever blew you off for it will see the error his/her ways :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Brett,

Soccer is a great way to get in awesome condition and get pretty shredded. Cool that you still play. I don't play anymore but some of my former teammates play professionally or for University Teams.

To get shredded I adjust my diet and increase cardio, that's about it. I still train with about the same amout of reps, weight, and intensity, I just throw in 20-45 minutes of cardio AFTER each training session or first thing in the morning.

I also focus on eating clean foods; natural, raw, fresh foods. I eat fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, beans, tofu, protein drinks, etc.

Specific foods I eat I mentioned in another post about my contest preparation in General Discussion but some include:

Bananas
Oranges
Apples
Asparagus
English Cucumbers
Spinach
Broccoli
Red Potatoes
Green Peppers
Green Beans
Kidney Beans
Garbanzo Beans
Cashews
Almonds
Tofu
Tempeh

And a variety of other things.

Eat fresh raw vegan foods, bump up the cardio and be consistent and you can get shredded!

All the best, soccer rules!

-Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:10 pm 
Rabbit

how good/bad is rice for you? i love to eat basmati rice with garbanzo beans and some curry. i feel better after i eat it than when i eat pasta (i'm not vegan, just veggie)
all the best
brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Hey Brett,

I don't eat much rice but I don't think it's too bad for you. I'd go for brown rice. I know that a lot of bodybuilders like rice to help as a bulking food. I ate a lot of it in the past but I'm a little to lazy to make it now, although I do really like it.

What is your nutrition program currently like?

All the best,

-Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:41 am 
Rabbit

i wouldn't say i have a nutrition"program" at all. i just eat haha. here's an example of yesterday:

breakfast (8am): 4 blueberry waffles, glass of orange juice...
while at work for the next hour i drank a 32 ounce protein shake made with Muscle Milk powder (40g of protein), milk, and peanut butter (totalling about 700 calories)

lunch (12pm): rice with garbanzo beans and 2 grape leaves (from a greek restaurant, grape leaves wrapped around rice and spices)

snack at (3pm): balance bar (15g of protein)..chocolate/peanut butter....i love peanut butter

4:30pm: went to the gym and did a shoulder work out:
4 sets of should presses with dumbbells
3 sets of front raises with dumbbells
3 sets of side raises with dumbbells
3 sets of front raises with barbell (the one you can keep your hands close and raise to your chin for your traps...don't know the term)
4 sets of shrugs with dumbbells

i'm using different weight each set like my shoulder press sets were 35lbs, 45lbs, 55lbs, 40lbs. i've been doing something like that for most of my exercises lately. what do you think. keep in mind i usually lift alone with no spotter so going heavy isn't really an option

dinner (6pm): homemade eggplant (baked eggplant with tomato sauce with mushrooms and peppers) and a salad with balsamic dressing

10pm: 3 soy 'chicken' nuggets (don't know if they're vegan but made by morning star farms..sooo good) and half of a little frozen cheese pizza.

i am almost always drinking water as well. the only other thing i drink besides water is juice or gatorade sometimes, never soda or anything.

that's typically a lot for me for one day. i usually try to have at least one shake a day and i'm trying to cut out a lot of cheese and french fries. fries to me are like cigarettes to a smoker, i love them and eat them everyday, i'm going to try to eat them only once a week, if that. i want to get this thin layer of fat off me. i'm 5'9" and up to 155-160lbs now. i'm still 'thin' but i've definitely added muscle now i just want more definition. soccer season is over and i haven't ran or anything in about 3 weeks. i'm going to start doing what you said and do cardio for about 20 min after each lifting session.
thanks!

sorry but i think i just broke my own record for longest post on here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:25 pm 
Manatee

Hey guys,

I see many of you are soccer fans, I was just wondering if you are able to watch european competitions in the US such as the champions league, serie A, premier league etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:06 am 
Site Admin

In the US we can watch a lot of the European socccer games but we have to get a special satelite dish or special cable system to watch them.

I was in Europe last summer and briefly lived in England back in 2002 so it was great to watch all that awesome soccer while over there. But I never went to a live game, just watched on TV. 8)

-Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:12 am 
Rabbit

here in the states on cable you can get fox soccer channel. it shows tons of EPL games, french ligue 1, bundesliga, us college soccer and some serie a. they do show sky sports news everyday as well which is nice. fox sports espanol shows tons of brazilian and argentine games as well. so with those two i pretty much watch soccer anytime i want. then if you get random foreign speaking channels you can see games like i get a portuguese channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:54 pm 
Elephant

I played soccer for 4 years in high school and then briefly at the university of pretoria in south africa ( i only played in 2 games and then i sprained my foot really bad by falling into an irrigation ditch). I really miss it! I'm not in any shape to play soccer at the moment but i would love to get back into it sometime.

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming