Indian Food night before Sprint Tri?

bpmojo

Hi!

A vegan group here in Austin is doing a restaurant visit to a South Indian restaurant friday night that I have never been to in town (way up north away from me)and I really like to go.

However saturday morning is my first sprint distance (ok well first ever ) triathalon.

I have a feeling that I should try to keep my diet as clean as I can on friday and whatnot So im sorta weary about going out to eat at an indian restaurant as there are some not so healthy things there to taste.

Should I skip out or just only eat certain things?

Thanks!

It depends on how important the race is to you, and how often you eat indian food. If your performance in the race is very important, then don't eat anything you don't usually eat the night before the race. But if you're just doing the race for the experience since it's your first time, then go to the supper but avoid the spiciest foods.

Have you had Indian food before? Do you ever have problems with spicy food? You are going with a vegan group, so I'm sure someone could help you steer clear of the yogurt & butter sauces I sometimes accidentally get when I have Indian food. Personally, I like to have Chinese before a long run or race instead of the traditional pasta. Everyone is different. If you have a sensitive system, don't do it, stick to what will settle well. I don't so if I were you I'd go and just make sure to have more carbs than protein. Not too much beans. Lots of rice and veggies and naan bread with mango chutney mmmmmm

Hi!

A vegan group here in Austin is doing a restaurant visit to a South Indian restaurant friday night that I have never been to in town (way up north away from me)and I really like to go.

However saturday morning is my first sprint distance (ok well first ever ) triathalon.

I have a feeling that I should try to keep my diet as clean as I can on friday and whatnot So im sorta weary about going out to eat at an indian restaurant as there are some not so healthy things there to taste.

Should I skip out or just only eat certain things?

Thanks!

Well if it's any consolation to you I think I know of the place you're talking about and I heard it's pretty expensive. I almost went there myself.

If you just wanna do this first race for fun and to get your feet wet I say go and just don't pig out. Try a bit of everything but don't gorge. If you really want to lay the hammer down I say stick to the good stuff and maybe just taste the fried things or leave them alone altogether. There are some good Indian athletes out there that eat that same stuff daily while training(they are used to it though) so its not gonna kill your body...it may just upset the stomach if you aren't used to it.

It depends on how important the race is to you, and how often you eat indian food. If your performance in the race is very important, then don't eat anything you don't usually eat the night before the race. But if you're just doing the race for the experience since it's your first time, then go to the supper but avoid the spiciest foods.

Good Advice Mark. One thing My coach taught me, if you haven't eaten food like that while you're training then don't do it. You could have a bad experience with your body. Just from experience. Like for example I'm training without socks. For next season. I'm blistered now, but I'm healing fast. If I were to do this in a race, I probably would be in pain and stop the run. In case you're wondering, I'm doing this for quicker transitions

thanks for the tips guys!

I think im gonna pass on the meal, as although I have had indian food before and love it, I would probably end up wanting to gorge myself or something like try everthing? PLUS i should really get to bed early that night and the dinner meetup doesn't start till 8 I think .

Good pre-race dinner ideas? I don't think carb-loading is really that nessary since the sprint tri should take me ..mabye 1:30? idk

Your right...for a race that distance you really don't need to load on anything. Just make sure you have a decent breakfast(maybe some oats and fruit) and more importantly eat during the race. I say maybe 2-3 gel packs on the bike so you can start storing energy for the run.