Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: MY ABS( Do I need surgery?)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 pm 
Elephant

BUMP

Starting October first I will go on an extreme attempt. It will last for a month. And hopefully I will see results.

I will alter my diet heavily with all the foods that improve skin elasticity. My diet will be as such for the 30 days in October.

Breakfast: Shake of Flax Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Blueberry and Soymilk.

Lunch/Snacks: Carrots, Bananas, Walnuts

Dinner: Flax Pasta, Tomato, Broccoli, Black Olive, Tofu, Spinach and Potatoes.

Plenty of Water( 8 cups a day ).

I've got the diet covered( At least I think. I'm open to any new additions/suggestions ).

I just need three other important things which I can't seem to find in my research.

1. A good Skin tightening lotion. If you can list a brand name that would be great. I'd plan on using it twice a day. After my shower in the morning and after my shower at night. Also. A question. Is it best to let my skin breath( Lay on my bed with my shirt off ) or maybe wear an abdominal wrap( Not too tight ) to soak it in more.( Note. I will wear the ab wrap for most of the day because I read online it's best to keep the abs tight for mechanical support ).

2. A supplement. I know I have a diet. But is there any good supplement for skin elasticity/toning/tightening skin? If you can also name a good brand that would make my search easier.

3. Exercises I should do.

Thanks for helping me. Much <3 to you all. :D

Check it out here. http://www.legendofzeldaseries.com/forums/index.php ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:40 am 
Elephant

I don't know your specifics, or if this'll work for ya, but I did go from a big 36" to a big 30" waist with some good dieting, some crash dieting, and consistent working out - cardio at least 5 days a week and weights for 45 mins or so 2 or more days a week on a lifting plan that was designed to build muscle. Not too much extra skin left. Took about two years or so I think. But the first half of that I wasn't working out so much...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 am 
Elephant

Hey Dr Pink..

Skin is like elastic.It is tight & when stretched, it goes back to its original shape.

But - elastic has a limit to how much it can stretch, before it begins to lose its strength.

Skin is similar.People who lose alot of weight tend to have the excess skin.Sometimes, it will regain its elasticity.But other times it will not.

As everyone has suggested, try losing more body fat, because your belly could just be fat, and the skin might just tighten over your new slimmer belly.

If you are sure its skin only, & it is not going back to original shape, then surgery is maybe an option.Of course no-one wants to suggest surgery because we all know the dangers & cost of it, but truthfully, sometimes it can be a good 'last resort' option.

Just make sure it is the last resort!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:56 pm 
Elephant

Oh yeah. Def a last resort. First I'm going to do my diet plan( All the foods listed I researched heavily into. Looked up which vitamins/minerals/amino acids/ect. help in aiding skin elasticity, skin tightening and collagen production. Then I researched which vegan foods had the most content of those. And I eventually, after about an hour and a half, came up with the diet listed above. ) Starting it in October. And through the next three months( As financial stability increases ) I will buy more and more of those foods.

All I need now are exercises which add muscle to the abs, A good cardio routine( if Biking is good. That probably will be covered as I may have to bike to work due to gas prices ) and of course a good skin lotion. I was told vitamin E would help. So. If anyone can list a good brand name that would be great :D. And lastly. When I can I plan on also adding a supplement to help/advance an already skin-tastic diet.

As for training goes. Once I get a list of good exercises for my abs I'll train heavily in those areas( And train other muscles only lightly( Like arms, legs, ect. Right now Abs are my focus ). and I will train them hard too. every day( with proper rest time of course and alternations. )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm 
Gorilla

good luck dr pink but you wont reach your goal by half assing it. If you want to build muscle you have to work out. there is no way around it. You would be surprised how working out other areas tones areas you never imagined. You need a good amount of protein in your diet as well if you want to build any muscle so take that into consideration.

I have seen you post many things about what and how you plan to take action. I would suggest you go back through those threads where people spent time and effort in getting you that information and use it to your benefit. good luck.

before and after accountability photos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 pm 
Elephant

^ I did. I looked over all of those old threads. This one was the biggest one. So I revived it for further discussion. And trust me. I won't be half-assing my workout :wink:

Here's an example workout plan( I will revive it when I delve more deeply into research. I have until October 1st to get this plan organized for full optimization ).

5:am: 50 left side crunches/sit-ups, 50 right side crunches/sit-ups, 50 forward crunches/sit-ups.
5:30 am: Breakfast
7:00 am: 15 Mile Bike Ride( To Work/To mall to find job/or wherever )( 15 more miles on the way back whenever I do need to come back )
9:00 PM( 1 Pull Up starting October first. With an extra Pull-Up added every night.).
10:00 PM 50 left side crunches/sit-ups, 50 right side crunches/sit-ups, 50 forward crunches/sit-ups.

Sit-up/Crunches routine continues every day but Sunday. Sunday is rest day. Pull-Up Routine Monday-Friday. Biking Routine only when I have work/

( If I do indeed get a job I foresee this routine to double or even triple in intensity as I get a gym membership. I'm not going to do any bulking( At least not to a grand extent. Just to fill myself out and get regular ).

The way I see it. If I tackle this loose skin issue from the inside out( Diet X Exercise X External Lotion X Supplement X Body Wrap ) and throw myself into overdrive I just may be able to solve this problem once and for all.

And yes. I will re-read all of those old messages too. Give myself a refresher ^^. Hopefully I can get a good brand name for a good lotion. Then I can see if they have it at my local health food store.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:32 am 
Manatee

Pinch the back of your hand, that's skin. If you can pinch a chunk, it's fat. My friend had 4 babies and she's super low body fat now, and loose skin looks loose, but it's not that bad, there's barely a hang and no thickness (like an inch or more) and barely any jiggle. It looks alright, considering she's pushed 4 humans out of her body. I have a significant amount of fat to lose in my belly, it's mostly come off my face, arms, and boobs (sadly).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:47 pm 
Gorilla

I just wanted to post this to illustrate what was said before. Its weird seeing these pictures since im so much larger now, but, i was down to 160 here with some muscle tone and still when i leaned forward i had that extra skin with some fat in it. Once the fat is completely lost the skin will be ready to take off. if you do it before you have lost those last fat pocket areas it can look rather disturbing.

Good luck bro im on that path too. but im giving myself a good year or two to get in the best shape of my life with low body fat then go under the knife. The hardest thing for me is the stretch marks they are everywhere and when i loose enough fat that is what my focus will be. its like this beautiful body is underneath all this history of gluttony and it pains me to be reminded at times of whom i was instead of what i have become.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:58 pm 
Manatee

phillipeb wrote:

I just wanted to post this to illustrate what was said before. Its weird seeing these pictures since im so much larger now, but, i was down to 160 here with some muscle tone and still when i leaned forward i had that extra skin with some fat in it. Once the fat is completely lost the skin will be ready to take off. if you do it before you have lost those last fat pocket areas it can look rather disturbing.

Good luck bro im on that path too. but im giving myself a good year or two to get in the best shape of my life with low body fat then go under the knife. The hardest thing for me is the stretch marks they are everywhere and when i loose enough fat that is what my focus will be. its like this beautiful body is underneath all this history of gluttony and it pains me to be reminded at times of whom i was instead of what i have become.

You look TOTALLY fine. That looks like skin. Damn, I wouldn't touch anything with a knife if I had your tummy. I'm using infrared and red light with vitamin C with distilled water or mixed in hemp oil (vitamin c powder for skin is at skinactives(dot)com - cheap) on the skin, it's getting tighter and the stretch marks (old ones) are fading. Light4Beauty(dot)com - not cheap. Consistency with the light thing. In just 3 weeks of the light, the depth of the stretch marks are less and some areas are completely gone. It builds collagen from the inside. Really strange since I didn't really believe it would work, but I figured for the $350.00 and the 60 days return (which she very much honors) I would give it a try, cheaper and less painful than thermage, fraxel, lipo or adominoplasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm 
Gorilla

im not to worried about the stomache but i meant more so the chest. I am curious as to see if you have before or after photos of the light treatments. I did not know anything worked for this. i know that collogen helps build elasticity in the skin but this should not effect stretch marks to my knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:31 pm 
Gorilla

Mr. Pink.

Please do post a summary & / list of the research u've done in terms of Food & Vitamin E etc you plan to use for this SKIN thing.

Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:37 pm 
Manatee

The chest is fine too, but each person has their issues about what's "wrong" with their bodies.

The light4beauty light helps heal wounds, like acne scars, wrinkles, and stretch marks. I wish I took a photo before, it was pretty bad, now they are a lot less noticeable. The thing is really for wrinkles and wrinkles are also lack of collagen in the area of the wrinkle. I bought it for my face, but am using it on my belly and inner thighs where the worst damage was done by being fat and having my daughter almost 10 years ago and never doing anything about the weight gain. I think the vitamin C powder rubbed in is helping for firmness, there's a lot of studies on vit C for skin. I swear to all cherished things, my belly was really horrendous and still is rather crappy looking when I bend over, but it's a 1000 times better than it was and looks really good when I stand up straight, before it looked bad no matter what. So in another 5 months, who knows. It's cheaper than surgery, but takes time. I treat it 18 min. a day on the tummy and 9 on the thighs. I usually read or meditate or watch DVDs after the work is through. Lately though, I've been goofing off on the last days before the start of many web projects.

From some site which sums up vit. C:

Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for the formation of collagen, the fibrous protein that contributes to skin firmness and the elasticity of the skin. When your skin is exposed to free-radical generators like UV light, smoke, air, etc. the level of vitamin C becomes depleted. You cannot stimulate the skin's fibroblasts by increasing your oral intake of Vitamin C, so it’s necessary to replenish it topically. Topical Vitamin C must be stable, active and able to be absorbed, and remain so throughout the life of a product once opened.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:09 pm 
Stegosaurus

Dr. Pink;

I remember you or someone with a similar body asking about this a year or so ago. I remember DV saying you had *some* loose skin, but that you still had some fat to lose despite being slim a.k.a you are "skinny fat".......at a light weight but with more fat than muscle. In other words you need to still control your diet but begin working on putting on muscle, the return to losing the fat.

Bodybuilders and trainers are pretty good at telling the difference between muscle, fat, and loose skin. Look two up and get two opinions. Doing bodybuilding for a year is a lot cheaper and healthier than surgery.

Look up cubby's old posts. He was huge, had a loose skin problem, started bodybuilding, still has a TINY amount around his abs but looks excellent.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:09 am 
Gorilla

You may need surgery down the raod, but there's no way to know for sure until you get really lean. It's obvious in those pics that your still around 40 percent Bf. Once you get to like 10-12 percent Bf and still have extra skin then i'd say yes.

A absolute must is for you to build up your lean mass(muscle) so that you won't lose muscle as your losing fat. A healthy diet plus lifting/ cardio will get you looking good. That guy in the pic probably isn't in the cards, but a soild phyique anyone can get

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:24 am 
Gorilla

Dr. Pink wrote:
5:am: 50 left side crunches/sit-ups, 50 right side crunches/sit-ups, 50 forward crunches/sit-ups.
5:30 am: Breakfast
7:00 am: 15 Mile Bike Ride( To Work/To mall to find job/or wherever )( 15 more miles on the way back whenever I do need to come back )
9:00 PM( 1 Pull Up starting October first. With an extra Pull-Up added every night.).
10:00 PM 50 left side crunches/sit-ups, 50 right side crunches/sit-ups, 50 forward crunches/sit-ups.
Sit-up/Crunches routine continues every day but Sunday. Sunday is rest day. Pull-Up Routine Monday-Friday. Biking Routine only when I have work/
( If I do indeed get a job I foresee this routine to double or even triple in intensity as I get a gym membership. I'm not going to do any bulking( At least not to a grand extent. Just to fill myself out and get regular ).

Hey pink! First of all, I agree with what most other folks have said, in that you definitely still have some subcutaneous fat, and that working off that fat is the only way to get the best results.

I'm in a similar position, just a bit further along, in that I went from 280 to 170 last year. At first, I definitely had a lot of extra skin around my middle, but as I've gained muscle and time has passed, the skin has definitely tightened, stretch marks and all. I still have a bit over the lower abs that I'm sure is partly fat, partly skin, and that I may never get rid of, but I still look a lot better than I did 6 months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the same results.

Finally, you may be overdoing it with the crunches. 50 is a lot of reps for a single movement, and doing it twice a day, 6 days a week, is probably overload. Work in other ab exercises. Get in the roman chair or on a swiss ball. Try reverse crunches, leg raises, cable twists, bicycles, v sit-ups, russian twists, etc.

Oh, and adding one pull-up every night is unrealistic. :) Pull-ups are tough, and not many people can do more than 10-15 nightly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next