Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Phils Before and After Photos *New Old Fat Pics found. OMG!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:06 pm 
Gorilla

Hello. I had posted once before the before and after pictures but the website hiccuped and lost it. Which was fortuitous because i did not stick to my plan.

At my heaviest i was around 255-275lbs depending on who you talk to. I maintain that i was at least 255. I do not have many photos from this time but ill look through my records to find some and scan the pictures and update this post.

This is when i was around 210-220

Updated:

i just wanted to show everyone how i started out:

and now:

For my new pictures of how i look check out page 3.
----------------------------

Dancing at a rave.

when i first became vegan i was roughly 195
(while my neck and face were trim i was still fat in the lower regions.) I had some decent shoulder musculature but that was it.

This picture was after i had been vegan for about three years. I was at around 180-185

To me this was my perfect weight as far as frame goes. I had muscle on my chest as well.

For one reason or another i obtained an eating disorder and dropped eventually down to 145lbs at the thinnest:

You can only tell im that thin from my face.

Anywho i got over that started eating normally, but the damage had been done i had atrophied my muscles and gained fat from eating normally.

I am starting at the bottom rung here and love that i can say i eventually built my entire physique as a vegan.

here i am today at 161lbs after working out bodyweight excercises for two weeks.

before work out:

after workout:

before workout:

after workout:

before workout:

after workout:

and here are a few lucky camera shots that make me somehow look large:

One of the things i noticed is that my extra skin issue is actually exasterbated by working out, at least so far. Perhaps i have to much fat in my diet or perhaps the muscle i am gaining under the small amount of fat i have is pushing the skin out:

here is me normally but here is me when i stand or bend over.

But i am trying and I know that baring surgery I can only do my best. My goal is to get up to 180lbs again but to do so very slowly.

you can see my training blog here:

Phils training blog

Thank you all for motivating me to make a difference in my life and to keep at it in a healthy manner.

before and after accountability photos

Last edited by phillipeb on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:50 pm 
Elephant

Hey lookin good brother. Just out of curiosity, what is your height? I would say around 5'11" ish??

Anyhow, you can see muscles starting to develop on your arms as well as upper back from what I can gauge with the pictures. Being you can see your body with the older pictures, there's no way of knowing.

I know how you feel with the fluctuations in weight. I went through a smilar bout, fluctuating from 140-200 within a span of 3 years. It's good to find a happy place and it seems like you have done that or are at least on the road to your 185 ideal physique, once you add the lbm to your current frame.

Being that you are pretty lean, I wouldn't be overly paranoid about your dietary intake. I would eat accordingly. If you start to put in intense wkouts, feed your body and you will enhance your physique. BW wkouts are good, pullups, dips, pushups, chinups and various other exercises. You can develop a nice base for your frame. Don't hesitate to incorporate a routine with weights as well though. It will produce significant change and results. Pls it is always good to switch things up...

Keep up the hard work! :)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:26 pm 
Good work :D You'll get to where you want to be...I'm sure of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:18 am 
Elephant

A good start! Now all you need is consistency and a lot of food. I bet you'll look totally different in just 3 months if you just stick to eating a lot of healthy food and working out the way you've described.

The only thing standing between great gains is some hard work and good eating.

Be prepared that in no time you'll have an urge to get some heavy a** dumbbells or to go to a gym as your own bodyweight won't give you enough resistance soon. ;)

I run a vegan food webstore and retail store chain in Finland. Please check http://www.vegetukku.fi for more information (sry, only in Finnish)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:40 am 
Elephant

phillipeb wrote:

i love that hair!! 8)

great progress, you guns seem to be a lot bigger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:31 pm 
Gorilla

Lean and Green wrote:
Hey lookin good brother. Just out of curiosity, what is your height? I would say around 5'11" ish??

Anyhow, you can see muscles starting to develop on your arms as well as upper back from what I can gauge with the pictures. Being you can see your body with the older pictures, there's no way of knowing.

I know how you feel with the fluctuations in weight. I went through a smilar bout, fluctuating from 140-200 within a span of 3 years. It's good to find a happy place and it seems like you have done that or are at least on the road to your 185 ideal physique, once you add the lbm to your current frame.

Being that you are pretty lean, I wouldn't be overly paranoid about your dietary intake. I would eat accordingly. If you start to put in intense wkouts, feed your body and you will enhance your physique. BW wkouts are good, pullups, dips, pushups, chinups and various other exercises. You can develop a nice base for your frame. Don't hesitate to incorporate a routine with weights as well though. It will produce significant change and results. Pls it is always good to switch things up...

Keep up the hard work! :)

Thank you for the encouragement.

I am 6 feet and 161.5 lbs currently. I feel as though i have made much more progress than i look, but i realize it is only two weeks and the change is a mental issue not a physical one. But damn its good to be active. I would love one day to look like you did during your competition time but i think your just genetically blessed as well as worked your ass of for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:53 pm 
Elephant

Well thank you for the compliments.

That was actually my average weight last year. Trust me, you can do anything you set your mind to. My genetics aren't anything extra-special. I have a stronger than average lower body but my upper body is just like anyone elses. In fact no matter how hard I train my upper back, I will never have that bb 'wings' look as my back isn't meant to look wide.

This is however, your thread showing you off and so I want to keep the attention and focus on you.

That is lean for your height. Every build is different so it could be where you should be without any lbm from resistance training. You have a slightly small frame but not a true small frame. You could definitely be 180lbs at and as lean as you are now within the year. Yes you have to work but it's dooable. All depends on where your focus is and goals are. Being that you are posting on the bf/after thread, I would assume you are in it to make progress which is what I want to hear. Train hard and post and we're all here to answer whatever concerns come across your way that you may not understand. Or just to motivate you.

2 weeks is a short amount of time; give your body time. I would say to give a good look at your body every 2-3 months and look for change and gauge by that. If you look at your body every day like the pages of a flip book, you won't notice major differences and will get discouraged. But like the flip book, several 100 pages (or days in your case) and from start to finish, you will see the difference once you put the time and effort in.

Keep it up!

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
Gorilla

Lean and Green wrote:
Well thank you for the compliments.

That was actually my average weight last year. Trust me, you can do anything you set your mind to. My genetics aren't anything extra-special. I have a stronger than average lower body but my upper body is just like anyone elses. In fact no matter how hard I train my upper back, I will never have that bb 'wings' look as my back isn't meant to look wide.

This is however, your thread showing you off and so I want to keep the attention and focus on you.

That is lean for your height. Every build is different so it could be where you should be without any lbm from resistance training. You have a slightly small frame but not a true small frame. You could definitely be 180lbs at and as lean as you are now within the year. Yes you have to work but it's dooable. All depends on where your focus is and goals are. Being that you are posting on the bf/after thread, I would assume you are in it to make progress which is what I want to hear. Train hard and post and we're all here to answer whatever concerns come across your way that you may not understand. Or just to motivate you.

2 weeks is a short amount of time; give your body time. I would say to give a good look at your body every 2-3 months and look for change and gauge by that. If you look at your body every day like the pages of a flip book, you won't notice major differences and will get discouraged. But like the flip book, several 100 pages (or days in your case) and from start to finish, you will see the difference once you put the time and effort in.

Keep it up!

My worry is this. I do not want to be a gym rat and it seems as though in order to get really impressive gains you have to be in the gym too often for my liking or suffer the agony of loosing that incredible physique. I am looking to add muscle slowly so that my body gets us to the idea of having that muscle in order to minimize upkeep. 5lbs a year would be fine in my book.

Post subject: Re: Phils Accountability Before and After Photos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:31 pm 
Gorilla

phillipeb wrote:

:D

Nice post man... huge difference in those pictures... i kept going up and down rechecking the pics to see if it was really the same person...!

Diet
Training Log

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm 
Elephant

phillipeb wrote:
My worry is this. I do not want to be a gym rat and it seems as though in order to get really impressive gains you have to be in the gym too often for my liking or suffer the agony of loosing that incredible physique. I am looking to add muscle slowly so that my body gets us to the idea of having that muscle in order to minimize upkeep. 5lbs a year would be fine in my book.

That is def dooable, 5lbs is fairly easy to achieve per year, especially since you are young. Remember though, when you first start training, you gain alot of lbm in a very short amount of time and then it starts to slow down and build little by little.

Losing physique... well it may take some bit to gain the physique you want but maintenance is the easy part. You don't have to work as hard and you just have to keep your diet clean.

As far as being a gym rat, well, of course the more time you dedicate, the better results you will get (without overtraining, of course). But there should be no reason why you cannot gain steadily at a good pace by lifting 45min-1hr 3 times a week, I would say to aim for around that much and you'll still have plenty of free time outside of the gym and not be considered a gym rat.

Think about it, you can excel at a sport and be very good without having to train like, say, an olympian. You can dance or practice yoga twice a week and be decent at them without being a professional.

You can step inside of a gym without making yourself a gym rat. Pllenty of people do it. Don't avoid the gym completely b/c of that; weights will help you get to where you want to be fairly quick and it feels good.

By the way I love that hairdo as well and it shows in your expression that you do as well! :wink:

Joelk wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:48 pm 
Gorilla

In other news interestingly enough I said i only wanted to gain 5lbs in a year but i gained 5 lbs in two weeks..... Holy crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:05 pm 
Gorilla

My fitness challenge ended. It was a three month challenge i proposed to my friends well i fell off the wagon for two months of it. But for the last month i worked out 2-3 times per week.

I of course did not gain to much muscle but i notice it. I think i have about another 2-4 weeks before i start hitting the weights

I noticed you cant tell much for growth but i am twice as strong as i was before. Also my chest area is becoming thicker. I have come to the realization that i am going to have to incorporate weights into my workout if i am ever going to have a chest to speak of. more than a month of bodyweight exercises and my chest has made little gains.

P.s. i weigh about 170 now. i started at 159 i know about 5 lbs is muscle the rest is beer and pizza. i stopped drinking because i was drinking quite often, hopefully i can channel that into more healthy calories during the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:12 pm 
Manatee

Sounds good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:42 am 
Elephant

Good stuff. You look great. I look forward to hearing of your experience with pumping iron. Once I started with barbell bench press training, my chest just decided it would explode with size. Dumbells didn't cut it for me. It was probably a matter of timing and switching it up.

Point is, that I encourage you to alternate your routine and reap the benefits from doing so...

Joelk wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 am 
Elephant

I agree with L&G on this one. Bench presses, especially with the barbell will build your chest.