Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lizzie before and after
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:53 am 
Finch

The middle of the "Normal Weight" section of the BMI chart is 21.7.

Lizzie is above that (her current BMI is 23.4), and will be closer if she loses 5 pounds (her possible BMI of 22.5.)

I say, Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 pm 
Manatee

EricJinMN wrote:

Lizzie is above that (her current BMI is 23.4), and will be closer if she loses 5 pounds (her possible BMI of 22.5.)

I say, Good Luck!

I don't agree with this because BMI is based on sedentary people, and she built some muscle to replace fat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:16 am 
Gorilla

Katabatic wrote:
EricJinMN wrote:

I say, Good Luck!

I don't agree with this because BMI is based on sedentary people, and she built some muscle to replace fat
The BMI isn't an accurate indicator of ? It doesn't measure bodyfat percentage. According to the BMI chart a ripped 6' 1" 200 lbs is overweight. :?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:43 pm 
Finch

Lizzie's muscles are probably in good condition from her training.

However, I don't think she has so many more pounds-of-muscle than the BMI chart designers expected as to make the chart irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:49 pm 
Rabbit

EricJinMN wrote:
Lizzie's muscles are probably in good condition from her training.

However, I don't think she has so many more pounds-of-muscle than the BMI chart designers expected as to make the chart irrelevant.

To be honest, it really does. The BMI chart is not a very good indicator of anything really, it doesn't take into account a person's bone structure, nor the distribution of the weight. I mean its ok for someone who hasn't lifted a weight in their life, and I guess it lets you set your goals, but beyond that it really isn't a good measure of the health of a person.

As an example,too kind of point out the inherit problems of the BMI chart, I have a friend who has a little less muscle mass than me and looks at around the same as me, with the same height and good muscle distribution, but he weighs 160 with a bigger bone structure. I, on the other hand, have a smaller bone structure and a little bit stronger yet I only weigh 145. He would be considered overweight, but he is far from that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:16 am 
Finch

You look totally great! Awesome job. At this point, though, i would say what you need to think about is not so much losing weight, but changing your body composition. Stepping on a scale isn't going to tell you anything. You've got to increase your lean mass and cut down body fat. The single best way to cut your body fat is to cut your fat intake in your diet. if you don't eat fat (or food that easily converts to fat), your body will shed fat, it's inevitable. But it takes a lot of willpower to eat that way, so you've got to be motivated! (I think you look fabulous now, but I know we all see areas of ourselves we want to improve. Kudos to you for making this much progress tho, you really look great!)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." -- T. S. Eliot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 pm 
Rabbit

Hi everyone! I'm back and still struggling with my diet and exercise regime. This is a picture of me last month. I've probably gained 3 solid pounds since then. My diet sucks and I have 0 time to cook because of work and school. I'm also incredibly tired all the time. I probably need to eat more fresh food rather than pb&j and subway. Also I've been drinking more coffee. I feel like I can't function without a long nap everyday and since I'm 20 I feel like that should not be the case. Sorry I'm always asking for help. I can't figure out how to balance my diet/life.

Attachments:
Ffld 06.jpg
Ffld 06.jpg [ 82.72 KiB | Viewed 1645 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 pm 
Elephant

You look great!

Well if you have zero time to cook, the best and healthiest options are : bananas, apples, strawberries, cherries, grapes and all kinds of fruits that you can bring everywhere, cucumbers, celery, carrots and other veggies, salads, shakes, juices, seeds, nuts, raw supplements like Larabars. Or make your own sandwiches, which will be more fresh than Subways.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 pm 
Manatee

I'm Your Man wrote:
You look great!
I agree Lizzy. You really do. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:56 pm 
Rabbit

thanks! I'll try to eat better and get back soon to update, hopefully with better results. I hate being tired all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:31 pm 
Stegosaurus

lizzie008 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm back and still struggling with my diet and exercise regime. This is a picture of me last month. I've probably gained 3 solid pounds since then. My diet sucks and I have 0 time to cook because of work and school. I'm also incredibly tired all the time. I probably need to eat more fresh food rather than pb&j and subway. Also I've been drinking more coffee. I feel like I can't function without a long nap everyday and since I'm 20 I feel like that should not be the case. Sorry I'm always asking for help. I can't figure out how to balance my diet/life.

Hi Lizzie!

It is good to see you on the board again. Let me add another "you look GOOD!" to the chorus. I hear you. I've been there. There are no easy answers. There are only so many hours in the day and you have a finite amount of energy. I consider adequate nutrition, rest, and minimal exercise to the foundation, without which nothing else will stand. I can't function well deprived of any of those for a significant amount of time. I've chosen to finish things later, borrow more money or otherwise eat the consequences of making room for those basics. Yes, sometimes you have no choice. Hang in there.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm 
Rabbit

You look amazing! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm 
Stegosaurus

Yes I agree with everyone :)

Keep up the great work, have fun with your workouts and the foods you eat.

Get lots of rest, and plenty of exercise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:12 pm 
Elephant

Besides the raw stuff that I mentioned and that are easy to carry with you, there is always meals that you can cook at home and are easy and quick to make, while still being pretty healthy. Some ideas: put some yellow split peas in 1.5x water and heat for 20-30 minutes. You have a nice pea soup to eat with bread and salad. Also, pastas, or tofu and vegetables in a wok. Or, put lots of vegetables in water with a cube of vegetable bouillon and herbs to make an easy soup. There are also many raw recipes that take less than 5 minutes to do. http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/RawRecipes.htm Or on organicathlete.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:21 pm 
Elephant

When you're in such magnifient shape, it's so wonderful how you can fluctuate and not notice a difference in conditioning as you still look just as perfect as I recalled. Anyhow, stress can do funny things i'm sure your busy. Coffee imho isn;t the answer but it's probably serving it's purpose at the moment and i'm sure you'll figure out sans coffee times and vice versa and use them to your advantage. Veggie juice gives me a buzz but it can be a pain to concoct and tea in times of desparation or just to stimulate the nervous system. Bottom line still lookin good, glad to have you here and have fun with your training as it continues to pay off, once you have more time to.... It will always be there, when you can resume with it ;)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next