Lean mass on a vegan diet?

People are telling me that I cannot gain lean mass on a vegan diet. Now I know all you do not prescribe to that notion. I am not into pictures or posting them on the web but i took this one this morning. I think I have put on some muscle but of course am striving to get bigger. I appreciate all of your feedback, I know I have a lot of work to do.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ccp9jq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like for men all they do is eat alot and they gain mass but for me when I eat a lot, I gain fat, even when I am lifting heavy and eating clean, and it takes me forever to get the fat off.

I've been told to eat no more than 200 calories above maintainence. How do I gain lean muscle mass without gaining too much fat? I know some is inevitable but I want to gain about 8-10 lbs of mass. Any suggestions? I'm 4'9 (144 cm) 94 lbs (42 kilos) 23-25% bodyfat (skinny fat, I look thin with clothes).

It seems like for men all they do is eat alot and they gain mass but for me when I eat a lot, I gain fat, even when I am lifting heavy and eating clean, and it takes me forever to get the fat off.

I've been told to eat no more than 200 calories above maintainence. How do I gain lean muscle mass without gaining too much fat? I know some is inevitable but I want to gain about 8-10 lbs of mass. Any suggestions? I'm 4'9 (144 cm) 94 lbs (42 kilos) 23-25% bodyfat (skinny fat, I look thin with clothes).

WHEN I eat seems to be a determining factor. Evenings meals and especially late night food, when my metabolism is lowest, (especially if that evening's activities won't burn many carbs) seem to translate more to fat for me. Meals an hour or two before or after my lifting seem to be more efficient in adding muscle.

Maybe you should eat more carbs instead of less! Carbohydrates are also very important for gaining muscle mass since they are the best digestible energy-source. You will also need less proteins by using more carbs. Up to 160g of protein sounds like a whole lot in relation to your bodyweight...

I only push up the protein that high when I'm trying to keep muscle mass, but loose fat... you'll probably have to risk gaining a small amount of bobyfat in your growth process - which will be a lot easier to get rid of, once you have bigger muscles

Over the past year, I've gained 12 lbs of lean mass and lost about the same in fat. Since August, I've been bulking and have gained 8 lbs - which is about 6-7 lbs lean. I have another 12 lbs of mass to gain before cutting. It can be done.

At first, I gained water and some fat (in August) until my body adjusted to the increased calories. Now, I have to up the calories even more to gain. I'm 5'10" and eat over 3,000 calories per day to gain. I don't do any cardio but the sessions with my trainer are relatively long (1.5 to 2 hours, 3x per week) and very intense. I thought that I worked myself hard in the gym until I met my current trainer. I cannot stress how important it is (for me) to eat every 2.5-3 hours in order to gain. This means no binge eating, rare empty calories (refined flours, sugars), and eating when you're not hungry. (I haven't been hungry in 3 months, which is key to bulking and cutting)

Like Devil's Plaything, I also eat a fair amount of carbs - any time of day. He made a good point about gaining fat in the process. This is not an exact science so you need to allow a bit of fat gain during bulking and a bit of muscle loss during cutting. I had a fair amount of success with lean gains at the beginning of the year (upping my calories some weeks and cutting back some) but it didn't last for long. I think once you get past your body's set point, it takes dedicated bulking to gain.

Good luck with your gains!

Up to 160g of protein sounds like a whole lot in relation to your bodyweight...

I only push up the protein that high when I'm trying to keep muscle mass, but loose fat... you'll probably have to risk gaining a small amount of bobyfat in your growth process - which will be a lot easier to get rid of, once you have bigger muscles

I only ate 130-160 grams of protein when I was cutting for my figure competition, right now I'm at around 95-110, and eat more carbs. Sorry I don't know how this reply with quote thing works.

I just don't want to put that much fat on because I am 4'9 and even 2 or 3 lbs of fat makes a huge difference on me. It took me 4 months to lose 6 lbs of fat on a cutting diet and I didn't make my competition weight which was supposed to be 85-88 lbs. I know bulking means gaining fat as well, it's just hard to figure it all out, it's my first time trying to bulk.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gained five pounds in 3 weeks but it all seems to be fat...I can't figure out how many calories to eat, macros etc. to put on mass without putting on fat. I'm eating about 1500 calories, 4'9.5 ,98 lbs....I've increased carbs and decreased protein. My legs look ok but i need to bulk up my upper body.

706488231_legdefinitionNov08.thumb.jpg.7a07bf27c0c32e1d9daf0919c29f2889.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I've gained five pounds in 3 weeks but it all seems to be fat...I can't figure out how many calories to eat, macros etc. to put on mass without putting on fat. I'm eating about 1500 calories, 4'9.5 ,98 lbs....I've increased carbs and decreased protein. My legs look ok but i need to bulk up my upper body.

chrysalis... if you can honestly look at this picture and think that you are seeing you put on fat... it honestly makes me a bit concerned.

If you are eating a healthy diet with Vegan protein sources, a small amount of complex carbs, lots of leafy greans and healthy fats, you are not putting on fat. Even on your petite frame, 94 lbs is teeny and I see no fat in this picture. Do a caliper fat pinch test by a trained professional to tell... but you are still very very lean (and looking good) with those 5 pounds added to your frame.