Before & During Photos (Notes, Observations, Progress)

Post your before and after photos here. Share success stories and show your progress. This is also the section to post up your videos.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

GregX999
Rabbit

Re: Before and During Photos

#16 Postby GregX999 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Wow! That's so awesome!!

Just curious... did you start loosing weight when you switched to eating vegan, or were you vegan for a long time before hand?

(And you don't need make-up!)

Greg

dropSoul
Manatee

#17 Postby dropSoul » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 pm

I was a vegan with a sedentary life and I am a really good vegan baker and general cook. This month is my 4th year as a vegan and 22nd year as a vegetarian. And I would eat healthy before, but too much of it! Small meals every 2-3 hours is working best and a lot of exercise. The first 40lbs. came off without too much over doing it, but now it seems it's slower and more effort is required. And more weight lifting too, so I'm seeing the effects of lean mass and how that makes the scale stay the same and even get higher. I need to ditch the scale.

Thanks! I look a lot better with paint on.

dropSoul
Manatee

#18 Postby dropSoul » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:03 pm

I'll be 42 on Tuesday! Actually after eating better and getting fitter, I feel younger than I have in years. Today I picked up my 74 lb. 9 year old 4' 9" inch daughter (my ex is 6' 3") and walked around the house and I did some mini squats with her! It was cool! Of course a squirmy kid is no replacement for weights, but it was nice to be like a young mom. 2 years ago I remember telling her I couldn't pick her up anymore and I was feeling bummed. And I picked up a 50 lb. bag of cat litter today when I was cleaning their toilets. So happy I started this and am in to it, I LOVE exercise and clever cooking (not relying on the crapola), and now gravity will be kinder to me in my golden years!

dropSoul
Manatee

#19 Postby dropSoul » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 pm

Now 124 lbs. I did photoshop the, err ... ahem, low beams out, it's a shear shirt. And since I'm still not happy with the lower half yet, no photos (crosses fingers, vows to cardio even harder) of that yet!

Oh, yes. There's a few tricks for better home photos. The first shot (first post), I had no idea. A standard camera (but not web cam which is what I used for my avatar) flatten images, appearing to add pounds due to lack of shadow and the curve of the lens. The lighting must have shadow/depth and I use portrait setting on this, so I've got the light on the floor behind me. Shots from the ground look baaaaaad, and from the top look strange too. White is also not a good color, but that's what I have. Also the quality of the camera, like phone cams, can make you look odd. So this still looks flatter than real life, but it's better than before.

Damn. I must be sensitive about my weight or sumthin -- gotta work on getting rid the ego more effectively ;-)

Vegan Joe
Stegosaurus

#20 Postby Vegan Joe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:09 am

You look marvelous darling!

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

HCPinGviini
Gorilla

#21 Postby HCPinGviini » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:04 am

You look like ten years younger than what you really are. :D Or that's how many Finns look like in their 30's.

So there might be a good reason for you to feel younger than what you really are. ;)

RobertSupreme
Manatee

#22 Postby RobertSupreme » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 am

Looking fab dropsoul!

Yeah Buddy!
The greatest mistake in the treatment of diseases is that there are physicians for the body and physicians for the soul, although the two cannot be seperated. ~ Plato

dropSoul
Manatee

#23 Postby dropSoul » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone! Blush emoticon goes here, but I can't find one!

But this one is cool!
:govegan:

vivalasvegans
Elephant

#24 Postby vivalasvegans » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 pm

Wow, you're looking so gorgeous and healthy!
Radical simply means "grasping things at the root." - Angela Davis

CollegeB
Elephant

#25 Postby CollegeB » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:00 pm

Incredible progress! You do look younger and healthier in the during picture.

Zack
Mastodon

#26 Postby Zack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:07 pm

dropSoul wrote:I'll be 42 on Tuesday!

Stop lying!

:)
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

John V
Elephant

#27 Postby John V » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 pm

You're are doing really well!
I'm very glad for you.
an evolving primate

dropSoul
Manatee

#28 Postby dropSoul » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks everyone! I'm VERY happy with feeling younger and looking a ton better. In real life, my arms are really muscular and defined (in the right lighting ;-). I will be pleased when the time comes when the body fat is lower and I've got the ripped arms that I dig.

I was so sick, tachacardia (sp), foot pain/swelling, well on my way to diabetes or something bad like a heart attack. Amazing things people can do when properly determined and when they believe they are worth their own effort.

veginator
Gorilla

#29 Postby veginator » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:20 pm

dropSoul wrote:Thanks everyone! Blush emoticon goes here, but I can't find one!

I believe it's this one? :oops:

I can't resist piling on yet another compliment here--you look great; your hard work really paid off! Congrats, and keep it up!

I dropped a similar amount of excess baggage over roughly the same time frame. I was about 190 last March, and by September was in the low 150s, with more than half of the weight loss happening in July and August when I was exercising an insane amount. A couple of months of holiday eating and being sedentary brought me back up to 170 (about where I was in my avatar photo), alas, but at least I'm starting out the year 20 pounds ahead of where I was this time last year!

Anyway, just wanted to say, wow! Way to go!

dropSoul
Manatee

#30 Postby dropSoul » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks, that's the embarrassed emoticon (and if I was bare assed, I'd use it - bada bum - rim shot).

I appreciate the compliments, Veginator! It's been really a good time and long enough at over 6 months now to make it stick. I love exercise a lot and have to force myself to eat, so my problem has been not getting enough calories. When I get more calories, I loose more weight. Weird. This last week I amped up the calories, kept the exercise the same, and lost a pound. So I'm 123 now! Yeah.

But with so much weights, I feel leaner but not lighter. But I would like to get really defined and that will take a while. Fun though. I don't want to be a stick figure.

Return to “Before/After Photos & Progress Photos & Videos”