Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Questions for kick starting the fat loss at a plateau
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 am 
Gorilla

Ducati wrote:
I am just finishing up round 1 of P90X and can't get over my plateau. I did lose at least 10 pounds of fat, but I am not even close to being ripped. I still have like 4 or 5 pounds of fat on my belly that I just don't seem to be able to scrape off. I guess I need to double up my program. Maybe do some running in addition to P90X? My diet is about 90% raw fruits and veggies. I try to avoid starchy foods like people suggest when cutting. I make sure my urine is nice and clear so I am not dehydrated. Should I drink more water even though I get plenty of fluids in fruit?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Protein definately makes a huge difference. like dropsould said if youre a raw foodist, go for the sunwarrior protein. its pretty tasty, cheaper than a lot of protein in stores, and all the proceeds go to support 3 of our favorite vegans! But if youre not a raw foodist and/or on a budget-i go for gemma at trueprotein.com...doesnt get cheaper than that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:09 am 
Rabbit

I'm about 80% raw, 20% of my diet is protein- rice or pea- from protein powders. No you don't need more water unless you feel dehydrated.
I am not familiar with the program you are doing, but running is great or cycle. And if you not challenged by the weight you are lifting anymore than kick it up.
One thing i noticed was if I was all raw with no protein I lost muscle and put on fat. But that could be just me. And make sure you are eating enough otherwise your body holds on to fat.
If you want someone great to work with on the raw diet go to charliesgym.com I worked with him to drop 5 lbs for my fitness comp. and he is raw himself, which i personally like. He is also very reasonable priced. check him out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:12 am 
Manatee

I do add some Raw Hemp protein powder and rice protein powder to my smoothies. I am probably around 10% fat and 10% protein in my diet.

Http://www.NellieMcKay.com

"I don't eat rabbit food, I eat elephant food!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:14 am 
Manatee

I should also add that VeggiePrincess (VeganPersonalTraining.com) says that its 85% diet, and she's right. I can't give details, but it does not involve much fruit. Her program is a very good deal.

However I can say what I did before I joined her. I cycle calories. One day low, one day high, very, very low carb, low fat, but with fruit in the morning so I don't murder my family. Then carb day, good carbs (no white stuff). About once a week I would carb out on these vegan treats, I'd add about 200-400 extra calories one day. At one point I actually stopped the diet and heavy activity for a week and then started it back intense, which I feel really works great. Never let the body get used to anything.

Peas!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:38 am 
Rabbit

Ya pea protein is great.

Don't cycle calories.

Everyone is different with nutrition. I have worked with who she reccommends and all I got was you need to eat whey or animals!

I to am in the fitness industry, and have been for 9 1/2 years as well as a nutrition and wellness coach. But when it come's to living mainly raw Charlie and Dr. Graham are the best or the best!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 pm 
Manatee

This is a vegan trainer and there's no animals or whey involved, it's 100% vegan by a committed vegan. Cycling or carb loading here and there calories is actually a trick to jump start plateaus because of homeostatis. It works tremendously. I've lost 53 lbs. with the last two lbs on the program, this is to get down to 14% bf.

LeanandGreen for example, is 100% raw and he's dear friends with Melissa at VeganPersonalTraining. If you are interested in what the ripped people are eating, rather than the cardio emphasised folks, there is a difference in carb levels. If you're doing lots of cardio, eat loads of carbs in fruit and green, if you want to get muscular, eat lots of protein, lift heavy. This is common and re-inventing the wheel is counter productive. What works for the omnis, works for the vegans who are omni by biology, but we do it cleaner, greener, and far less meaner to the animals, environment, etc.,

1 g of protein to each pound you weigh is what most bodybuilders say, LeanandGreen takes in 300 gs a day. Spirulina (see the deal on VeganProteins.com) is a fine, fine, awesome way to get a mother load of green, raw, high protein.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 pm 
Elephant

ravenfit wrote:
I have worked with who she reccommends and all I got was you need to eat whey or animals!

I would love to know what your basing this statement on ravenfit, because the only non-vegan trainer/dietitian I have recommended to people is Chuck Rudolph who did my diet and training and has done lots of diets for Vegan bodybuilders and figure competitors, so I'm confused.

He's expensive and he's not Vegan, but I can't see him saying something like that unless he was confused by the question. Why I chose him and why I refer him is because he was one of the only trainers/dietitians out there who believed you could acheive the same results as Omnis on a Vegan diet.

:?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:29 pm 
Manatee

Hey Melissa: 118.5 lbs! I can see my quads, still under the blubber but much less blub and more smooth. Thanks to U!!! I should say that's 4 lbs on your program - not 2lbs, and that was taking a week off due to my dear loving cat dying. Still in a funk out about that!

Now Alexandra proofs and off to work out -- in the other room.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:52 pm 
Rabbit

I know all about cycling calories and all of that.
And I know what vegan is, I have been one for 10 years. And I know all about cardio and strength.

I worked with chuck cuz i checked out your site and saw him on there so I tried him for a comp. And he told me if I wanted to put on more mass that I needed to have whey or go back to vegatarian, I said that was not an option cuz I told him from the get go I was vegan. I know he's not vegan, but if I am paying him for a mass building vegan diet I shouldn't be told you can't really gain muscle without whey.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 pm 
Elephant

So happy for you Christina! Yay!!! Hey... I just provide the road map, but you have to drive the car... and you're driving the car :wink: :wink: :wink:

ravenfit... UGH! This concerns me greatly... and I will look into it. I may have to rethink things now... sigh... thanks for telling me that, and I get what you're saying and I'm surprised. I'm going to email him. Why this confuses me so, is that I personally talked to a bodybuilder that he prepped for a comp and the guy was so pleased with his gains and his cuts and never once did Chuck recommend this... so I'm going to talk to him and see what he has to say. Thanks for telling me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 pm 
Manatee

Ryan Andrews with Precision Nutrition is a vegan, former bodybuilder, and registered dietitian. A really nice guy too, and animal rights supporter. He is in the running for Peta's sexiest vegetarian too. LOL

I don't seem to be having a problem building muscle. Everyone is commenting on my arms. I can do over 10 pull-ups now whereas when I started I couldn't do three. However, I can't get rid of this belly fat and some on my chest. I will try doing more cardio, drinking more water, and uping my protein to 20%.

DropSoul, I always hear it was 1g of protein per KG of bodyweight. However, ratios to bodyweight don't make much sense. A 200 pound couch potato eating 800 calories of protein is getting 40% protein, whereas a 150 pound endurance athlete eating 600 calories of protein and burning 6,000 calories in a day is only getting 10%. Percent protein is a much much better way to determine your protein requirements.

It seems many here recommend 20% of their calories in protein? Is that right? Most here consume 20% protein by calories to cut?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 pm 
Rabbit

Veggie princess,
But for figure then a vegan diet works great, but I'm fitness- which vegan is great and so is raw, I compete at 7% bodyfat, but I wanted to switch to bodybuilding so maybe thats why. Or maybe my body won't go beyond 120 lb of lean mass. But ya I'm sorry to tell you that was the response I got from him and I was pretty pissed and it was a waste of money for me.

As for 20% protein the average is 15% but if your lifting heavy then go with 20%. I will have to check out that guy you said. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:08 pm 
Manatee

Ahh per KG. I know, I also hear per lb. of lean mass. I'm no expert just an ex-fatty! I used to say I have a fatitude!

Good muscle gains! It's awesome to get stronger. I love being able to lift the cat litter and my daughter and walk around the house with her (not the litter at the same time ;-).

She's giggling. She's 9 and acts like she's 4 again when I do that.

That sucks about Chuck. Wow, 7% that IS awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:19 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks, I just look to skeleton like though when I'm that low.

Were you not able to lift your daughter before?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm 
Manatee

I have always been able to throw a 50 pound bag of dog food over my shoulder. However, now I just don't throw my back out when I do. LOL My dad told me I will always be overweight and always have back problems cause it is genetic.