Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: My Progress Pics. No Results!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:59 am 
Gorilla

Well then you can get help with workout techniques etc.. but diet wise... not so much. And if you dont eat right.. well shit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83cdJbztw3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lEUynhgMg8

The reason is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk?, but Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham 1748 - 1832

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:02 pm 
Elephant

First of all I would also like to say that more veggies in your diet would be great, you eat a lot of processed foods like sausages, burgers etc and if you can reduce it I think it would be great. How does the macro breakdown of cottage cheese look? Is it the low-fat one or what's up? Do you calculate calories? If you don't you should, and simply reduce them untill you start loosing weight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:26 pm 
Rabbit

xjohanx wrote:
First of all I would also like to say that more veggies in your diet would be great, you eat a lot of processed foods like sausages, burgers etc and if you can reduce it I think it would be great. How does the macro breakdown of cottage cheese look? Is it the low-fat one or what's up? Do you calculate calories? If you don't you should, and simply reduce them untill you start loosing weight.

Thanks for your help xjohanx.

I don't understand the deal with people in this thread. I DONT want to go vegan YET I'm willing to make adjustments to my diet WITH vegan products. Why is that so hard for people to grasp?!

Anyway, yeh ur right. I need to get rid of the processed stuff but what else couls I replace them with. Give me suggestions please.
The cottage cheese is low fat yeh. It contains 88 calories per 100g, 12.2g Protein and about 2g carbs.

I calculate my calories and I never eat to fill myself up. I have small regular meals, each meal equating to about 400 calories.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:02 pm 
Manatee

pudha wrote:
I don't understand the deal with people

pudha wrote:
I DONT want to go vegan

This is the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:33 pm 
Elephant

Nathan Nearing wrote:
pudha wrote:
I don't understand the deal with people

pudha wrote:
I DONT want to go vegan

This is the deal.

I hate to be harsh and agree, but this IS a vegan forum. If you want help with a diet plan that's non-vegan, perhaps you should head over to bb.com?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:00 pm 
Elephant

pudha wrote:
Thanks for your help xjohanx.

I don't understand the deal with people in this thread. I DONT want to go vegan YET I'm willing to make adjustments to my diet WITH vegan products. Why is that so hard for people to grasp?!

Anyway, yeh ur right. I need to get rid of the processed stuff but what else couls I replace them with. Give me suggestions please.
The cottage cheese is low fat yeh. It contains 88 calories per 100g, 12.2g Protein and about 2g carbs.

I calculate my calories and I never eat to fill myself up. I have small regular meals, each meal equating to about 400 calories.

The "deal" with people is that they are ethical vegans who believe that animals are being unrightfully exploited in the dairy and meat industry. This is kind of our safe haven from the animal abuse that goes on in the world. They might not see things from your viewpoint (mainly because you haven't explained it) but you surely don't see it from ours.
Okay, if you've calculated your calories and your weight is standing still, try cutting out 300 kcal. A good idea is to cut 4-500 and replace the 1-200 calories with veggies that fill you up (read dark leafy greens). You get more full of chewing the greens but you could def add some to your morning smoothie, try kale for example.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:55 pm 
Gorilla

Hate to be the bad guy or whatever, and maybe its the 5 hours total sleep Ive gotten in like close to the last 72. Your on a vegan forum. People on here believe in our life choices... Granted its not the end of the world you arent vegan, its great your vegetarian... But to ask for advice... Well just deal with the fact your going to get advice from what we know works.
And yes 300 - 500 kcal less and dark leafy greens good... Also start watching you protein... Not anti cheese on the principle, but on the fat! Watch your sugars.. Try to go as natural and as wholesome as you are comfortable doing...
And dont whine when people jump your case a bit, some of us might be offended. So deal with it, it'll help you build some traps. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83cdJbztw3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lEUynhgMg8

The reason is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk?, but Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham 1748 - 1832

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:35 pm 
Rabbit

Guys I'm sorry if I offended.

I don't want to head over to BB.com because I cannot eat much of what they'd recommend.

I don't eat poultry, meat or essentially anything that is linked to direct killing for sense pleasures.

It's all good being vegan but at this stage in my life, I am not considering it. But does that mean I should be outcast straight away?

I understand your reasons and please understand mine.

Anyway, back to the topic. I think the cardio I am doing now is helping me loose the fat. Its the muscle and developing strength I cannot nail.

I should have seen gains after 4 months tho right? Look at my pics. Theres hardly any change.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:51 pm 
Elephant

It seems that people here are willing to work with you, and its true we're not all about eggs and fish and meat and such. I think lesson learned here is to just not bring up dairy again. I think that would help reduce some concern among members. I appreciate your willingness to participate here and gain from our collective veg knowledge.

I'm in a situation somewhat like you where i've been eating a good deal of processed and cooked food so I'm trying to eat more raw things. I'm doing good with rainbow chard, carrots, and apples. I had some oranges but I ate them all... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:59 pm 
Stegosaurus

pudha wrote:
Anyway, back to the topic. I think the cardio I am doing now is helping me loose the fat. Its the muscle and developing strength I cannot nail.

I should have seen gains after 4 months tho right? Look at my pics. Theres hardly any change.

Back to the basic way of thinking regarding training -

1. If you aren't getting bigger and stronger, but you're training with 100% intensity and doing a sensible program, then it's likely that you aren't eating enough daily to make the gains. Lack of sleep, too much stress, etc. will make it more complicated as well, but most often, it's a lack of calories that halts progress for adding size and strength.

2. It is definitely difficult to get bigger AND get leaner simultaneously. Often, it's that people who are fortunate enough to do so are the ones who eat just enough to gain lean mass with absolute minimal fat mass, so it seems like you're losing fat but in reality, it is more that you're just gaining enough lean mass to skew the bodyfat totals in the better direction even if your fat levels stay the same. Most people find it easier to cycle mass and cutting periods to keep things focused on one mission at a time where you'll get the most in the way of results and go back and forth between the two. Again, it's not impossible to do well for both at the same time IF you're fortunate enough to have your diet dialed in well and know your body well for training properly, but if you're still relatively new, I'd focus more on one part and then the other a few months later. My main discouragement in training my first year came as I would see people in contests like Body For Life where they'd say "So-and-so gained 10 lbs. of lean mass and lost 30 lbs. of fat in 90 days" when it is damned near impossible for the average person. Count your progress in steps, one bit at a time, making sure to work one goal hardest to maximize potential results and then switch it out for another periodically and you'll find a balance in time.

3. If what you've been doing isn't working, then change it up! If you aren't seeing results with a program after a few months, or if your diet doesn't seem to be moving you in the right direction in time, don't stay with it month after month if it isn't paying out. Many times, it's not the diet or training protocol that's at fault for lack of results (see above regarding incorrect caloric balance, too little sleep, stress, etc), but sometimes, a specific diet or program isn't ideal for everyone, and you need to experiment. I just cannot lose fat on a high-carb/low fat diet - I'm not built for it, and after numerous tries, it's been a miserable failure. My only good results come from lower carb/higer protein intake, so I know now what I have to do when I want to diet down a bit. I've learned over time what I'm meant to do and what doesn't yield results, even when I give it my best, and I'm sure you'll go through a few different situations like this in years of training. Experiment, experiment, experiment and give everything your full effort and in time, you should start to find what works for you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:23 am 
Elephant

I think first and foremost is to think of what you want to accomplish. Do you just want to get big as just mass? Do you want to be like a pro bodybuilder big and cut or do you want to have mainly lean muscle mass and be cut. Work out will be different also for everyone and what your aiming for. I think that think where you want to be. Don't focus on how you look. Focus on having fun at the gym.
Because if you think of your looks then you will only be beating yourself up if you don't see fast gains. Take pictures after every week. Keep a photo journal. You will see the changes.

The quick way to loose that weight is eat very high raw food. That is the truth. I don't think that it is the most popular choice but it really matters how much you really want to change your body. Raw food diet really sheds off the pounds there is tons of evidence from real live individuals who lost pounds fast and healthfully. I being very straight forward and honest.

Diet is first. Loose the extra weight and then you will see more results. Because the extra hides the hard work.

Then work out 3 times a week or more but consistently and don't skip weeks unless of injury. Don't go to the gym and lift to lift but think well what you want to really work that day. Get their and kick butt go hard. My suggestion first is get your muscles conditioned and strong. Dips and pullups are the best to build upper body strength I feel. Then add legs. No legs then you won't create as much natural growth hormone and remember more muscle the more calories you will burn. Apply intense cardio for 5 to 10 minutes before and after workout. Specially after so that you really push that calorie burn.

As for diet. Again I agree with many here your eating too much processed food with a lot of whey. Look at my before/ and after pics before when I was vegan. I was a skinny guy and did not have much of a gut but the milk protein shakes gave me a bloated look. Try brown rice protein or hemp like many here are doing. You will find much better results and you won't add all that extra empty calories. And unless your lifting like vegan essentials or Robert your really eating to much protein powder for nothing. You don't need it now let your body adapt to the workout and then when the muscle are bigger start including more protein. Food is filled with protein as is.

I hope this helps on a different view of things.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:02 am 
Rabbit

VeganEssentials and RAINRA, thank you so much for your comments.

So I think thats what I'm concentrating on first; losing the fat.

So as an example diet, should I just eat a salad for lunch and introduce low carb meals throughout the rest of the day?

Is Brown Rice protein just as beneficial as Whey??

I keep a monthly measurments diary. I thought I worked really hard doing cardio last month and was hoping to see some drop in measurements but nothing! My stats remained the same as the month before. Diet again??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:07 am 
Rabbit

Training don't build muscle
Surplus Calories (pushing out amino acids(proteins)) do

Eat a shitload more of healthy food.
Vegan food in general is helthy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 am 
Rabbit

Also stop caring about x amount of protein
If your daily x-ammount of protein havent worked for you so far then you can reason out that lack of protein is NOT the missing key here

As i said more carbs to help your body to absorb the protein is the key

Dont reason like most people (if something isn't workning, do more of it).. that's like tyinig to run trough a wall, and if you don't succeed then you run faster..
imho thats the definition of an idiot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 am 
Rabbit

pudha wrote:
So I think thats what I'm concentrating on first; losing the fat.

I don't thinkt that's smart... if you gain some muscles first, it'll be a lot easier to loose fat, since muscles burn calories even when they rest. Also you will only look skinny when you lose the fat first, and not fit or muscular...

Quote:
Is Brown Rice protein just as beneficial as Whey??

Soy and Pea Protein are. They both are resobred just as fast and their amino acid profile works well for the body.