Stuck with fat around my waist, help!

Hi all. I finally decided to post some pictures, mainly because of frustration, since I have been stuck for a while with no progress at all. Ok so here's the story:

I am 30 yrs old, 5'6'' and about 135lb (it fluctuates a lot, 135 is the avg). I am technically not overweight but I think my percentage of body fat is high (I guess due to the fact that now I sit 9 hours a day behind a desk). I did lose some 5 lbs in the last 4 months but have been stuck with fat mainly around the sides of my waist (sorry about the lack of anatomy terms, English is my second language), basically I have no waist, I am square all the way down. I have also some fat on my belly (I am straight edge, so it's not beer ) I don't wait to build a lot of muscle, just regain my cuts, which believe it or not were there at some point (3 yrs ago).

I have tried different workout routines, mainly weights 3x a week (one day for shoulders/chest/biceps, then shoulders/back/triceps and shoulders/legs with ab work everyday for about 1 hour with 2 days of cardio (this is either jogging - 40 mins - or soccer - about 90 mins). I can't do much cardio at once since I injured my left knee in Feb 2008 and the doctors can't tell me what is wrong with it. Apart from this I have been going on a lot of hikes.

I have improved my diet to more raw veggies and less carbs, but I indulge too often probably (carbs like rice and bread, fried food). Usually on my weight lifting day I have a smoothie with hemp protein for dinner and nothing else.

My main questions:

1. Are there better workout routines to try? Should I stick to lots of cardio for a while until I lose all the fat and then build some muscle?

2. Which exercises are good for my problem area? I do lots of ab crunches in different positions but nothing seems to work.

3. Would you donate for my liposuction? It's probably cheap, I need to take out 3 or 4 lbs of fat.

Thanks for all the help and don't hesitate to be hard, I can take it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/xdeepstrikerx/VBB/vbb-6167.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/xdeepstrikerx/VBB/vbb-6168.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/xdeepstrikerx/VBB/vbb-6169.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/xdeepstrikerx/VBB/vbb-6170.jpg

• 2 months later...
My main questions:

1. Are there better workout routines to try? Should I stick to lots of cardio for a while until I lose all the fat and then build some muscle?

2. Which exercises are good for my problem area? I do lots of ab crunches in different positions but nothing seems to work.

3. Would you donate for my liposuction? It's probably cheap, I need to take out 3 or 4 lbs of fat.

I'll second Roz's post first, which basically said lots of cardio, and HIIT training which is super effective. Crunches are not going to help your problem area, in fact they're probably just about the least effective of all exercises for you right now. A lot of people who want six pack abs try to do a hundred different ab exercises to no avail, when the biggest thing you can do to help your stomach is lose the padding. You can't spot target fat, and there aren't many if any exercises that burn less than crunches do. You need cardio!

But, you've got the knee issue. I used to be a cardio king myself, was on one of the top couple highschool XC teams in the country. Till I injured my knee from it. So I can totally relate to your problem. If you can't run, hop on a bike, or into a pool, although a pool can be sort of counter productive as swimmers tend to retain more body fat than runners or cyclists.

Try spending a half hour each day doing intense cardio, maybe 5-6 days a week, for a month or two. And stop indulging on carbs, and maybe consider eating smaller meals throughout the day. If you could force yourself to do that for a couple months, I think you'd see great results that you'd be inspired to maintain.

Plus you've already said you're not looking to build a lot of muscle, and it looks like you've got a strong build as it is. A good cardio program would do wonders for you. Lifting weights can burn a tremendous amount too. I just joined here, but I'm thinking I might be one of the few to really champion cardio given my background. For lifting though you should focus on things that burn a lot. Like squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc.

My 2¢.