Jason X's progress report.

Hi, I'm Jason. I used to be a bike racer. Therefore, my legs are big and strong, but my upper body, well...let's just say it isn't there...

Knee issues are preventing me from being a bike racer (and I'm not too bummed about it) so i took up running (yes, it's better for my knee. No, I don't know why.) But, now St. Paul is covered in a sheet of ice and I am not about to break my neck running outside.

I got to talking with a coworker, and he's convinced me to join him playing rugby. Which means I need to bulk up and get big. So, I'm looking to get up to at least 185, and maybe up to 198, for an even 90kg. It seems as though the men in my family have the HUGE gene, but so far it seems I'm cursed to being little. At any rate, currently I'm 6'0" (that isn't going to change) and somewhere between 161 and 165 lbs. Save for doing pushups in my bedroom the last month, I only started working out with weight last week. I'm working on it. It's been a total blast so far.

Here are a few (non poses) pictures of two dimensional me. (i don't have a camera, so uploads will be hard, but I'll make it work. I'm definitely a little embarassed that I'm so little, but in my defense, I certainly was in great shape on the bike!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1392/1130830103_f132aa3fe6.jpg (see. 2d!)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2199/2206880303_1b9d7c6fd3.jpg where is my 3rd dimension? and where are my arms?

So, you can see that playing rugby with my current physique is asking to get killed. I'm hoping I'm at least comparatively fast. So, here begins my journey. Eat more food than I've ever eaten before, and hit the gym for the first time ever. 3 gym days and 5 days has got me feeling good.

One question. If I eat and eat and eat and eat to gain mass, but don't want fat, what do I do? Can I do plyometrics and field sprints (both necessary for rugby anyway) while I'm bulking, or should I wait until later? Or, is there really no way to bulk without adding a bit of a ring around the middle? I'm a little on the poor student side of things, so I've mostly been using soy protein. soymilks, soy protein powders, tofu, all sorts of tofurky products, a bunch of veggies/fruit, oatmeal and peanut butter.

Yep. That's it for now. I'll get a current pic up as soon as i can procure one.

Thanks. This forum is amazing, and I look forward to getting you know the lot of you!

-Jason X

Edited by Jason X

I'm a little on the poor student side of things, so I've mostly been using soy protein. soymilks, soy protein powders, tofu, all sorts of tofurky products, a bunch of veggies/fruit, oatmeal and peanut butter.

I was at the same thing years ago, but the school cafeteria really helped out. Sounds like that may not be part of your options though. I'm still on the poor student side of things. Cut back on the tofurky stuff if you can as that costs more than rice and beans. Some of those savings should go into clif bars. And no I don't work for them but I'm a long time customer...er, supporter. Also buying gemma protein from trueprotein.com can save you money. Even with the fancy add ons like vitamins and flavors you're getting into only $6 a lb, and if you get a few pounds then your order comes out to only $8 a lb or so after shipping. I'm not sure for your area, but soy protein goes for at least $12 a lb where I'm at. Also buying gemma means you're not consuming isolated soy protein constantly. I think it's win/win.

I'd like to put on some weight myself and not turn into a fatass so best of luck to you.

Sweet!

i'll look into that Gemma thing for sure! and the tofurky products are mostly just for easy lunches at work. but your very right a little preparation goes a long way. And I am a pretty big Clif supporter as well.

THANKS!

(see, that's the kind of support I need!)

edit: went to veganprotein.com and couldn't find the gemma stuff. Is it hiding, or am I blind?

Ok. I have a bit of a dilemma. I had been doing 3 sets of 10 of whatever the exercise happened to be, usually the last 3 reps of the last set were nearing failure.

I was recently told by a fellow vegan lifter that for strength I should be at lower reps at more weight.

Today I tried that. About a 70% increase on weight across the board, but only 3 or 4 sets of 5 or 6 reps. It hurt (in a good way) while I was doing it, and got to failure much quicker, but by the time I cooled down and showered, I wasn't barely sore. That sounds like a failure, right? When I did more reps I was wrecked for the day. That felt effective.

What do people thing? More reps? More weight? More sets? All of the above?

Does anyone else have similar experience? Thanks!

I realize that being sore isn't the goal, it occured to me later today that I'm probably going to wake up tomorrow feeling like I got hit by a train.

Total honesty. Don't judge my weakness. In routine or in weight.

I get changed and warm up for about 10 minutes. plyometrics and quick stretches.

I don't have an order of lifts, but I do have lifts I try to do. Also, I don't split my days up into body parts. I'm a whole body. when I go to the gym I work my whole body. I don't rest more that 90 seconds between any sets. If my legs are too tired to work more for a few minutes, I go do arms or core, etc.

I keep my log at work, so this is by memory, but I usually will do

* back extensions (on the machine first) I've been doing 6 reps of 150lbs x4 sets. (up from 110 3x10)

*sit ups on the decline bench. I do the first set of 15 with a 25 lb plate, and the second set of 15 with no added weight.

*hamstring machine for 150lbs 6 reps by 4 sets (up from 130)

*leg extensions same weight and reps. I'll up it to 170 for the last set if i'm feeling it.

*I do the core oblique machine thing that makes you twist at 3x10 each side at 150 lbs. (up from 110 3x10. just upped this one)

*Incline benches at 95 lbs 3 sets of 6 (up from 65 3x10s)

*My hip flexor has been messing with my squats (95lbs 2x5 ass to grass) and leg presses and calf "raises" (3x10 by 385lbs)

*I'll do dumbell millitary presses at 35 lbs 3 sets of 6 (up from 25 3x10)

*bodyweight shrugs until failure

*standing overhead tricep extensions at 50lbs 3setsx6

*lat pulldowns at 70 lbs wide grip 3x6 (up from 50 3x10)

*back extensions (on the table) 3x10 with a 25lb weight (all the way down, all the way up)

*machine rows at 70lbs 3x6 (up from 50 3x10)

*(when I can I do turkish getups with a 10lb dumbell 3x10 each side. that's really hard...)

*curl 50lbs 3x5 and a 4 rep set at 60 to close it out.

(oh, and I usually spend my evenings doing as many pushups as I can in sets of 10 or 15. because it's easy and I can do it in my bedroom. anywhere from 50 to last nights high of 120)

I feel like that's it. In and out in about an hour. Just keep moving. then cool down/stretch. I do this pretty much same routine 4 days a week (for like 2 weeks now...I'm still really new to this, so probably shouldn't be messing around too much.)

As soon as the owner of the gym gets back from vacation we'll go through learning deadlifts, cleans and whatnot (the explosive movements that you need to be explosive, but need to know the proper form for or else will hurt yourself. I'm not out to hurt myself. I do that enough unintentionally.

Ok, so, does anyone have any tips/pointers/advise? (and thanks chewy for getting me to type that up. it needed to happen. I also tend to add more reps or weight to the last set when I'm not exhausted enough.)

If strength is your goal (for rugby), I'd stick to basic compound exercises rather than isolation exercise, and a much simpler program that will still work your full body.

Stronglifts have a great program, you work out 3 times a week and rotate between Workout A & B -

Workout A

Squat 5x5

Bench Press 5x5

Inverted Rows 3xF

Push-ups/Dips 3xF

Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B

Squat 5x5

Overhead Press 5x5

Deadlift 1x5

Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF

Prone Bridges 3x30sec

It says on their FAQ you can substitute Inverted Rows for Power Cleans (5x5 i think) which will be more beneficial since you have someone to teach you them.

Basically for the weighted exercises you start off with a low weight, and if you make the 5x5 (or 1x5 for deadlift), you add 2.5kg next time you do that exercise, and repeat this until you fail. Then try that weight again for 2 more workouts and if you still can't make it you take 10% off the weight (deload) and start from there again.

Hope this helps =]

thanks chewy, i will try this tonight.

update!

well that certainly felt effective! didn't do it exactly as prescribed, but I did WAY less exercises today. same time spent at gym though. Feeling good today! can't wait for next time!

The stronglift program will definitely beef you up fast, especially if you've got a solid diet plan

Stronglift, Starting strength (Similar program) and lots of food got me from a scrawny 80kg to a nice 100kg in about a year.

Best of luck Jason.

xcx, 20kg in a year is a big gain! I'm going to go look for a before/after for you. I haven't checked yet, but if you don't have one, I'd be interested in seeing that transformation.

my diet plan is to pretty much eat constantly.

My diet pretty much consists of a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. usually a buider bar when I get to work. 3 meals during my workday (either a big bowl of rice/tofu/avocado or veggie sandwich and fruit. eat at 10, noon, and 2:45, and I keep a bag of nuts at my desk to snack on in between) and then I eat rice or noodle and veggie stir fry type deal for dinner.

that's about it. eat eat eat.

I'm up 8.5 pounds in the last 3 months (with most of it in the last few weeks) according to the scale at the hospital, and up 11 pounds in 2 weeks according to the scale at work. (We're running a program at work about being healthy. the goal for most people is to lose weight. I think I'm the only one trying to add it. I think that's hilarious)

So, I think that's an improvement. I'm certainly feeling stronger, and I think I'm getting bigger. Maybe next time I see my wife I'll ask her really nicely to take a picture so I can update this thing with a new pic. That is, if I can overcome the embarrassment of posing.

I'm about to buy a damn camera. But, according to the scale at work I went from 161 (3 weeks ago) to 175 (today) pretty quickly.

Eating food will do that. I feel a bit thicker around the middle, but we'll see. I'm still progressing in the gym, so we'll see how it goes. I figure just upping the cardio (from none) will get me back to fat free in a jiffy.

But that was the easiest 14 lbs I've ever gained. Who knew eating too much made you big? ha! (it's a start, now just to see the muscle build! I've only been lifting for 2.5 weeks though. it'll come eventually

Hey,

I play Rugby Second Row or Blindside Flanker, so I'll happy to help out as much as I can

I'm 6'3 and currently 104kg, which is on the lighter side for a second row, but I am more muscle than fat, so I smash the fatter guys lol

I definitely agree that if you want to play, then you might want to add some size, consider it padding for the hits you are going to give and receive.

Shoulders, Traps (Helps protect your neck), Pecs (Hits to the chest, tackling), plus Arms (Helps prevent elbow and bicep tendon injuries), Core and probably most importantly Back!

Rugby is a violent Full contact sport, so there is no point taking it lightly, you can and probably will get injured, so the best thing to do is injury proof yourself as much as possible.

Rugby is about Explosive Power and Strength as well as having good cardio vascular fitness, so your training will vary in the offseason a lot from in season.

Since you aren't playing yet, I would concentrate on Strength Training so the Program that Chewy has posted is probably a good start.

Remember whilst you are lifting EXPLOSIVE POWER

I would probably throw in some Hill sprints as well, great for Cardio and great for your legs...

If you want to know what a game feels like on your body, try this

Start at 1 side of the gym

Sprint to the other side of the room

Do 5 Clean and Jerks

Walk back to the start

When you get back to the start, do it again straight away.

Keep doing this for the length of a game....

(For added realism, get someone to punch you in the face every now and then)

Rugby is the game played in Heaven, Have fun and get big!

that's the best thing I've heard in a while. I get the picture, definitely. I have a ridiculous base of general fitness built up from time bike racing and running. I'm not doing ANY cardio right now save for the warm ups (and that's MAYBE a 1/2 mile at 8 miles an hour after walkinig for 5 minutes). I'm hoping that I can add as much size and strength as quickly as possible, because I know my body type, and if I start with the cardio I'll be tiny forever.

The game plan is to add strength (and with it some fat, naturally) and then start the agility/speed drills and lose that fat and try to keep the muscle.

It may or may not work, but I REALLY appreciate you popping in. Stronglifts has been good so far, I'm only a few weeks into lifting though. I'll be happy when I get to squat my bodyweight (I'm 30 lbs shy on a 5x5, so I'm sure I could do it once, but that's cheating)

Just keeping at it. I'll be sure to ask you any specific rugby questions I may have.

I'll start with this one. do you stick with energy bars during games, or what do you eat? it's WAY too long to go with nothing for a game, but also WAY to intense to anything anything really substantial, right?

that's the best thing I've heard in a while. I get the picture, definitely. I have a ridiculous base of general fitness built up from time bike racing and running. I'm not doing ANY cardio right now save for the warm ups (and that's MAYBE a 1/2 mile at 8 miles an hour after walkinig for 5 minutes). I'm hoping that I can add as much size and strength as quickly as possible, because I know my body type, and if I start with the cardio I'll be tiny forever.

From the sound of it, you will be the fittest one on the field, a lot of rugby players aren't know for their dedication to cardio (Me included).

I like the fact that you have stopped a lot of your cardio to get big! Spoken like a Rugby Player already

The game plan is to add strength (and with it some fat, naturally) and then start the agility/speed drills and lose that fat and try to keep the muscle.

Once the training starts you will definitely lose the fat, probably gain mass in your legs too

It may or may not work, but I REALLY appreciate you popping in. Stronglifts has been good so far, I'm only a few weeks into lifting though. I'll be happy when I get to squat my bodyweight (I'm 30 lbs shy on a 5x5, so I'm sure I could do it once, but that's cheating)

Just keeping at it. I'll be sure to ask you any specific rugby questions I may have.

I'll start with this one. do you stick with energy bars during games, or what do you eat? it's WAY too long to go with nothing for a game, but also WAY to intense to anything anything really substantial, right?

Glad to hear the strong lifts is working well, stick with it and eat a lot and you'll be doing 5x5 of your body weight in no time.

I don't tend to eat during a game, I'll have a big slow release carb meal and hour or so beforehand, Oats, good bread etc. Then I'll drink something like Extend (BCAA plus other stuff) just before I run on. During the game it is pretty much water. Having too much in my stomach makes me want to throw up. A combination of the physical side of things as well as the cardio I guess.

After the game it's a nice hot shower, or ice on the sore bits, then a good meal... Beer is pretty much forced upon you with most clubs as well, ha ha

Real quick, because I'm excited, but today, afyer squatting 5x5 at 155 I thre up my bodyweight. 175. Did two more. Happy!

And! I was able to 5x5 110 on an incline bench for the first time ever. I've tried, but always failed after 3 or 4 sets.

Deadlists. I do a 1x5 set. I started havey. 185 (overBW) got two, and then finished the set at Bw.

Awesome day! Progress.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

still no pictures, but a check in at the gym says that in the last month I've maintained by body fat at 8.5 and added another 5.5lbs of lean body mass. I'm at 182. Up from 161 when I started this, and up from 176 a month ago. This is encouraging. I'm not desperately little anymore, and I'm 10lbs shy of my goal. I'm going to try to make that push and get up there by the end of march. BUT, the cardio is starting, so I'll have to really commit.

• 4 months later...

well, 7.5 months and several setbacks later (one month with a broken foot, and a few weeks with a torn quad both wasted and a week here or there with something relatively minor (compared to the above, at least)).

started this journey back at 161 lbs. Today am at 197 lbs. Still feel TINY for that weight. Will keep with it. The plan is to hit 215 then cut down to 10% body fat. (for now, then we'll reassess) BUT, I'm having a hell of a time getting to 200lbs. Pretty sure I still don't eat enough. I'll see what I can do.

I'm having a blast with this and go back and forth

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nlwjTxdWyjY/TEOz99zFPYI/AAAAAAAAAHY/amp9VXnj3b0/s320/Imported+Photos+00013.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nlwjTxdWyjY/TEOz-OUTBtI/AAAAAAAAAHg/MDvZIz_QFgs/s320/Imported+Photos+00016.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nlwjTxdWyjY/TEOz-uPEilI/AAAAAAAAAHo/GQHS82XkHfc/s320/Imported+Photos+00018.JPG

don't judge me. I'm not done yet.

FYI, these are not pumped, or just after the gym or anything like that. I'm just shiny because it's hot in my apartment and I was running back and forth between the kitchen (3rd floor) and the laundry room (in the basement)

yeah buddy!

hell! what doesn't it say!?

it says "stay gold" on top. robert frost reference. (nothing gold can stay. I call bullshit on that one)

then it says "for a brighter future" right above the banner that says "vegan straightedge"

then, at the bottom it says "dedicated to discipline".

also, above my right nipple it says "posi". that was a different tattoo, but as you may guess it's short for "positive".