Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Before picks. There is no after yet.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 pm 
Elephant

Jason X wrote:
(For added realism, get someone to punch you in the face every now and then)

that's the best thing I've heard in a while. I get the picture, definitely. I have a ridiculous base of general fitness built up from time bike racing and running. I'm not doing ANY cardio right now save for the warm ups (and that's MAYBE a 1/2 mile at 8 miles an hour after walkinig for 5 minutes). I'm hoping that I can add as much size and strength as quickly as possible, because I know my body type, and if I start with the cardio I'll be tiny forever.

From the sound of it, you will be the fittest one on the field, a lot of rugby players aren't know for their dedication to cardio (Me included).
I like the fact that you have stopped a lot of your cardio to get big! Spoken like a Rugby Player already :D

Quote:
The game plan is to add strength (and with it some fat, naturally) and then start the agility/speed drills and lose that fat and try to keep the muscle.

Once the training starts you will definitely lose the fat, probably gain mass in your legs too

Quote:
It may or may not work, but I REALLY appreciate you popping in. Stronglifts has been good so far, I'm only a few weeks into lifting though. I'll be happy when I get to squat my bodyweight (I'm 30 lbs shy on a 5x5, so I'm sure I could do it once, but that's cheating)

Just keeping at it. I'll be sure to ask you any specific rugby questions I may have.

I'll start with this one. do you stick with energy bars during games, or what do you eat? it's WAY too long to go with nothing for a game, but also WAY to intense to anything anything really substantial, right?

Glad to hear the strong lifts is working well, stick with it and eat a lot and you'll be doing 5x5 of your body weight in no time.
I don't tend to eat during a game, I'll have a big slow release carb meal and hour or so beforehand, Oats, good bread etc. Then I'll drink something like Extend (BCAA plus other stuff) just before I run on. During the game it is pretty much water. Having too much in my stomach makes me want to throw up. A combination of the physical side of things as well as the cardio I guess.
After the game it's a nice hot shower, or ice on the sore bits, then a good meal... Beer is pretty much forced upon you with most clubs as well, ha ha

If you feel their breath on your skin, you just ache.
Have you ever craved someone so much you didn't exist anymore?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 pm 
Gorilla

Real quick, because I'm excited, but today, afyer squatting 5x5 at 155 I thre up my bodyweight. 175. Did two more. Happy!

And! I was able to 5x5 110 on an incline bench for the first time ever. I've tried, but always failed after 3 or 4 sets.

Deadlists. I do a 1x5 set. I started havey. 185 (overBW) got two, and then finished the set at Bw.

Awesome day! Progress.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:41 pm 
Gorilla

UPDATE:

still no pictures, but a check in at the gym says that in the last month I've maintained by body fat at 8.5 and added another 5.5lbs of lean body mass. I'm at 182. Up from 161 when I started this, and up from 176 a month ago. This is encouraging. I'm not desperately little anymore, and I'm 10lbs shy of my goal. I'm going to try to make that push and get up there by the end of march. BUT, the cardio is starting, so I'll have to really commit.

Post subject: Re: Before pics. There is no after yet.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 pm 
Gorilla

well, 7.5 months and several setbacks later (one month with a broken foot, and a few weeks with a torn quad both wasted and a week here or there with something relatively minor (compared to the above, at least)).

started this journey back at 161 lbs. Today am at 197 lbs. Still feel TINY for that weight. Will keep with it. The plan is to hit 215 then cut down to 10% body fat. (for now, then we'll reassess) BUT, I'm having a hell of a time getting to 200lbs. Pretty sure I still don't eat enough. I'll see what I can do.

I'm having a blast with this and go back and forth

don't judge me. I'm not done yet.

FYI, these are not pumped, or just after the gym or anything like that. I'm just shiny because it's hot in my apartment and I was running back and forth between the kitchen (3rd floor) and the laundry room (in the basement)

yeah buddy!

Post subject: Re: Jason X's progress report.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

Good job Jason!

What does your chest tattoo say?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:49 pm 
Gorilla

hell! what doesn't it say!?

it says "stay gold" on top. robert frost reference. (nothing gold can stay. I call bullshit on that one)
then it says "for a brighter future" right above the banner that says "vegan straightedge"
then, at the bottom it says "dedicated to discipline".

also, above my right nipple it says "posi". that was a different tattoo, but as you may guess it's short for "positive".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm 
Stegosaurus

very cool, I really like the Frost reference. What does that one on your right forearm say? (If I'm being too nosy just tell me to butt out)

I've been bitten by the tattoo bug lately but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money on another one right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 pm 
Gorilla

Its a chinese take out box with some chipsticks. The words are 'dim sum till death'. Efernce to the outing with philly friends for all you can eat dim sum at kingdom of vegetarians.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:52 pm 
Elephant

That's ridiculous compared to the pics before. Keep going, full speed ahead!! Your beard is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:57 pm 
Gorilla

Chewy, thanks man!

And lobster, feel free to ask away. Not nosy. I don't mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:17 am 
Gorilla

Looking 100X more badass.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:14 pm 
Gorilla

Cold fission, thanks! Pretty sure any bad ass that I have lives in my beard.

As I scrolled up I saw you 'become the hammer' line amd the word hammer stuck out and I got excited for a west ham reference.
Then I got disappointed. Your tag is still a good line, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 pm 
Finch

Great progress so far! Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:50 am 
Gorilla

good work! You look much stronger.
I see you think you have to eat more, just like me. I realized that if I eat too much vegetables, I can't eat my beans, and that all means healthy, but skinny body:))) I've noticed improvement in my body and muscle mass, since I started eating less vegetables and more fruits, for vitamins. I find eating more fruit good since it has also sugar in it, and that means (good) calories and energy for workout:)
I'm eating only green leafy vegetables now, it's not so voluminous.
Maybe I'm wrong, that was just my experience...
All best!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:06 am 
Gorilla

Vege, its all sacrifices. I chose to cut down the veggies for denser foods and faster progress.

Not everyone does it thay way, but its easy for me to do it like this.

Besides, unlike a lot of the people around here, I went vegan strictly for the animals. Healthy came later.

My way may not be the healthiest (and I don't go around telling people to do it), but its temporary. Get where you want to be and then switch to maintenance diet and more veggies.