Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:12 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 594
Location: TX+CA > Migrated > India
VEGETA wrote:
crashnburn wrote:
The current Wrestler from India who won the Gold in World Wrestling Championships... is lacto-Vegetarian. Gets Almonds+Milk drink from his family village cows. A lot of old strong men used to drink litres of milk... So does this guy.

I know there's a lot of Anti-milk debate here.. but if you take it from the largest VEG population on the planet.. in India.. milk has been a staple. It might help pack on those pounds. Then again... Milk is crappy in the US.. due to factory farming.. unless you for Grass-fed / Organic / Not super processed via pasteurization.


Fully agree, in India the cow is holy. As I was on the 100% vegan trip there was something missing, I always was hungry, though I couldn't eat the quantities of beans I have made for myself and stuffed full until my throat I still felt a hunger feeling. With a little fish/eggs/cheese it left.

Hey crashnburn, I see in your profiel that you migrated to India, what was the reason and how many years you are living there?
What are you doin' sounds very interesting to me! :D


Also, note that foods that are harder on the digestive system.. fish / eggs will stay longer in your system (which is not a good thing) hence you get that FULL feeling. Eggs/Fish (meat also) are not harmonic for our system.
Could you imagine biting into a piece of flesh/fish as it was? ...
Our teeth & digestive systems are not designed for consuming ANIMALS.


Instead of extended debate I'd suggest some things that would / could help...

I'd suggest getting some of the following to try & avoid the fish & eggs:
- Milk + Almonds (You could find Badam Milk / smoothie receipes) - In fact, if you want to avoid Dairy (lack of organic/grass fed) Almond Milk could be a good base too.
- Avocado - Its creamy texture is great but its not satisfying by itself.. With the right items / flavors.. it can be very satisfying
- Coconut Water, Milk / Meat.. - Great texture and very satisfying as food / base / smoothie / curry. Very good / clean fats.. in fact has been vouched for by lots of people on Gymnastic Bodies forums. Some guys.. mixed their Protein powders in "thickened" Coconut milk. Creamy texture.. filling & satisfying.
- Look at learning some Indian cooking receipes.. Paneer / Tofu/ Dals (Pulses & Lentils) Maybe some Malaysian/ Buddhist cooking..
(who best to learn veg eating from than the original veggies)
- Indian spices/ herbs are great digestives as well as give you satisfactory feeling.. Might help consuming lentils/beans and even Palak Paneer (Pureed Spinach + etc) easier and more satisfying.

The issue with any kind of food or diet.. Raw or Vegan or Vegetarian (or even those stone age minded Paleos lol).. is that they focus on avoiding X & going extreme on Y. We need a VARIETY of foods.. (not saying u need eat non-veg) to satisfy.. and hence you are feeling unsatisfied. If you only have tons of protein you'll crave carbs & fats.. Even if you balance all 3... Before P, F, C were discovered how did people eat? ... Food & its micro-nutrients are beyond western science and lab breakdowns...

Nature created COMPLETE foods.. for us.. Western health science & their labs started breaking them down..
Imagine an Apple... Do you think its value is only that of what its composed of as discovered in a LAB breakdown?
When you bite into a Juicy apple.. feel the energy.. "life force"... You wont find the same when you bite on a piece of meat.. or for that matter even in a piece of bread... or even a Power bar..
Food, health is beyond... Lab breakdowns...
(And calories are a stupid misnomer from the locomotive era.. ever wonder how they are calculated??)..
[LINK COMING UP - Myth of Calories - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14430&start=210]

Also as per Ayurveda.. your body type defines what food satisfies and balances your body dosha (imbalance).. Wouldnt hurt to get a Pulse Diagnosis done... to find out. Then you eat as per your body type & goals.

I was born in India.. and I've lived in both continents traveled a bit.. I moved on a Spiritual Calling and its been quite a journey of learning about myself.. mind, body, spirit...(how one affects another)... how thoughts, feelings/ emotions affect us.. what causes us to BE we are... & DO what we do..

For now, looking at doing some socially entrepreneurship work at ground levels. Lets see where things go. Ideally 50% time here to 50% travel/work between US-Europe would be great. Lets see.

PS: I'd suggest watching this movie - Peaceful Warrior... Carefully :D.

_________________
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?


Last edited by crashnburn on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 2874
Location: Montreal
VEGETA wrote:
Yes, because we are not animals in their sense. We evolved from Africa and other continents. In upper regions there was a cold region, where no green vegetation grew, downwards there was more green and so on. People mixed up together. New gen pools and so on..

Yes, you can see metabolic typing like the Ayuverdic diet, it's quite similar.

For example, I don't think that people ate tons of nuts like today, because it was difficult to find them and to crack them, maybe occasionally but not in large quantities, the same for grains, they don't waited until it grew up and was ready to eat, they would be dead, they had to eat some animals flesh or products like eggs. It depended where the people lived too.
Difficult to crack nuts ? For many nuts I can do it with my hands, but otherwise with a stone it would be easy. If it was too difficult for cavemen to crack nuts then I guess they were not able to hunt and kill animals and to butcher the meat. But they were able to do that, and to crack nuts too. I don't think I've said they were eating tons of nuts or tons of grains, but some fruits yes, some sprouts, root vegetables, crushed seeds, etc. Some animal food too. At that prehistoric era, there wasn't plenty of plant and animal food. So in order to survive it was an opportunist diet, they ate everything they would find, even dirty roots of plants. They were picking a few fruits here and there, and would go hunting sometimes for 3 days just to kill one of the rare animals they would meet on their way. Even if prehistoric hunters would see a whole group of buffalos, its not easy to kill, they will be lucky if they kill one or two. We see it clearly with better hunters than humans: tigers and lions. They need to hunt the few hours that they are not sleeping, and sometimes they will starve for days. When they see a prey often they don't catch it, because of the speed and agility of the gazelle, or the endurance of other herbivores. I've seen in a BBC documentary 5 or 6 hyennas on one african buffalo, all of them were on the big herbivore with their claws and teeths in the flesh for 5, 10 minutes, but then they were too tired and the buffalo ran away. Herbivores have always been superior in size, strength. endurance and stamina. Rhinos, elephants, hyppo, bull, and the largest dinosaurs.
To their surprise (because like most people we tought cavemen were only eating meat), scientists have discovered a few years ago when analyzing fossilized feces that DNA of animal protein was sometimes lower than plant protein DNA. For some tropical places in the world, the ratio was 75% plant-based diet. In Northern climates it was the opposite though.

crashnburn wrote:
The current Wrestler from India who won the Gold in World Wrestling Championships... is lacto-Vegetarian. Gets Almonds+Milk drink from his family village cows. A lot of old strong men used to drink litres of milk... So does this guy.

I know there's a lot of Anti-milk debate here.. but if you take it from the largest VEG population on the planet.. in India.. milk has been a staple. It might help pack on those pounds. Then again... Milk is crappy in the US.. due to factory farming.. unless you for Grass-fed / Organic / Not super processed via pasteurization.
What's the point of talking about supposed pros of milk on a vegan forum ? Anyways, milk is for calves. And most of the world population is lactose intolerant and many are allergic to casein. No animal species drink the milk of another species, especially not at adult age. Shall we talk about the Cons of milk on human health ? there's many. According to you milk does a man stronger. What's your explanation behind that ? The grownt hormones naturally found in it to allow the calves to grow faster faster (causing serious hormonal imbalance to humans who drink it), and the ones given to U.S dairy cows and found in American milk ?
Now a recent study proved that milk and dairy make people fat because of that reason, especially all the "probiotic" yogurts... because the billions of live bacterias found in a small serving of yogurt are the same ones given to animal farms to activate their grownt.

_________________
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:28 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 594
Location: TX+CA > Migrated > India
I'm Your Man wrote:
crashnburn wrote:
The current Wrestler from India who won the Gold in World Wrestling Championships... is lacto-Vegetarian. Gets Almonds+Milk drink from his family village cows. A lot of old strong men used to drink litres of milk... So does this guy.

I know there's a lot of Anti-milk debate here.. but if you take it from the largest VEG population on the planet.. in India.. milk has been a staple. It might help pack on those pounds. Then again... Milk is crappy in the US.. due to factory farming.. unless you for Grass-fed / Organic / Not super processed via pasteurization.


What's the point of talking about supposed pros of milk on a vegan forum ? Anyways, milk is for calves. And most of the world population is lactose intolerant and many are allergic to casein (Hmm... India & China.. Make a lot of the world population and trust me we have Milk.. We are not blessed with Whole Foods & similar food stores with Fancy SuperFoods & Algae & Brazilian Acai like the US & Europe). No animal species drink the milk of another species, especially not at adult age. Shall we talk about the Cons of milk on human health ? there's many. According to you milk does a man stronger. What's your explanation behind that ? The grownt hormones naturally found in it to allow the calves to grow faster faster (causing serious hormonal imbalance to humans who drink it), and the ones given to U.S dairy cows and found in American milk ?
Now a recent study proved that milk and dairy make people fat because of that reason, especially all the "probiotic" yogurts... because the billions of live bacterias found in a small serving of yogurt are the same ones given to animal farms to activate their grownt.


What am I doing here?
I am not here to change the definition of vegan that you have in mind. We've been vegetarian for generations so when someone came up with the word VEGAN.. big deal.
Except for milk & honey I have more in common with veggies here and have more to SHARE & LEARN than an Paleo or Meat pro forum. Are you here to argue... or prove or get proven.. ? or Learn from each other? ... We'd rather drop these small differences and unite if we are to get more people to go Veg & not KILL animals.

For this kid and other going veg here.. we need to help.. not be "super policing" about what is vegan and push people off the boat for small differences.

Its like 2 Zen Monks arguing over slight difference in meditation technique... v/s the Murderous Blood laced Tomb Raider.. :) lol!..

I respect your choice (s).. I believe you'll respect mine. .. Acceptance and love goes a long way... even if your friends eat meat.. I dont like it but I dont condone or criticize anyone.. I share my learnings and lifestyle benefits in the most decent diplomatic manner. Then, its their consciousness that shifts whenever..

If meat, beef & veal eating people in the west suddenly woke up and realized their folly them giving up milk / honey and think they are somewhat superior to generations of Indians who have revered, prayed and taken care of cows and been lacto-veg forever... Then please take the podium and make yourself happy. There's no point arguing.

I am not even here to prove you wrong or prove myself right. I am here to share what I have learned. Of what I post below you can figure out what matches with your researchers and what doesnt... There are Pros & Cons to everything on the planet.

I CANT CHANGE YOUR MIND ... and YOU CANT CHANGE MINE :D... So lets AGREE TO HAVE SOME LOVEABLE DIFFERENCES.. and LIVE WITH IT :)

Anyways... lets get to the point... MILK.. Pros and Cons as per Ayurveda... 5000+ years of natural organic PETA-friendly life science.. and respect and prayers to the Holy Cow! (most probably this used term by the west Holy Cow.. comes from the Indian influence on the British when they were so attracted to India that they formed a company in the name of India... East India Company)

Ayurvedas take on Milk. Read carefully.. Also, there are way different notes for Curd/Yogurt & other dairy products.
Ayurvedic practitioners recommendation of specific dairy products are made as per your body type after diagnosis (usually Pulse diagnosis). (Weather effect is also taken into account to balance your system.. PS: Are you taking your Milk cold or warm?)

Quote:
Milk (Dugdha, Kßhíra)
Energetics: Sweet/cold/sweet VP- K+ Highly
sattwic. It is invigorating, increasing the dhátus.
Actions: May be taken in larger quantities than other
dairy. It is a tonic, rejuvenative, nutritive, aphrodi-
siac, calmative, laxative

Indications: Nourishes plasma, skin, all tissues (es-
pecially shukra dhátu). It is a tonic for the lungs
and stomach (reduces bleeding from these sites).
Milk calms dry cough and dry throat, fever, and
thirst. It is a mild laxative with ghee. For Pitta con-
ditions. It is excellent for the children and the eld-
erly, debilitation, convalescence, nourishing the
brain, nerves, mind, and memory. Boiled milk
builds ojas, promotes sleep (with warm nervine
herbs). Boiled, it reduces Váyu and Kapha. It pro-
duces semen.

Cows: Promotes longevity and rejuvenation. It
helps strengthen emaciation after injury, increases
intelligence, strength, and breast milk. It is a natu-
ral laxative, relieves exhaustion, dizziness, toxins,
difficult breathing, cough, severe thirst and hun-
ger; chronic fevers, urinary, and bleeding disor-
ders. It promotes auspiciousness. Cows’ milk is
said to be the best of the milks.

Goats: Easily digested and heals pulmonary TB,
fevers, difficult breathing, bleeding disorders and
diarrhea.

Contraindications: It is damp and can weaken agni.
It generally contains residues of inorganic fertiliz-
ers, antibiotics, steroids; and is homogenized and
pasteurized; and comes from mistreated cows.
Thus, inorganic milk may cause side effects. Dairy
allergies may be due to these inorganic substances.


However, allergies may also be caused by its heavy
nature.
Do not take milk at night, unless it being
used as a laxative or calmative. Then boil and use
the appropriate herbs and oils. May cause colds or
rheumatism.
Goats Milk has a warm energy K- VP+.

Antidotes: To remove the heavy nature of milk, di-
gestive herbs such as ginger and cinnamon are sug-
gested. This may alleviate allergies.


AM—aphrodisiac
Noon—KP-; digestive stimulant
PM—for children, calmative, laxative
Surface milk is good for all three doßhas The foam
is good for all three doßhas


A nice story...
Quote:
To give a slight positive historical story here.. from my Grandad.. about Cows & Milk

Back in their village in pre-independence black & white movie.. British Colonized era of India.. They were local merchants/ traders and one time a batch of their PISTA aka Pistachios, ALMONDS and some Dry Fruits went kinda bad..

So him.. my grandad & his brothers as kids sorted and ate as much as they could and a bunch of the rest was FED to the cows..
Believe it or not.. he says for a week or so the Cow milk.. was wow! ... You wouldnt need to add any sugar and the taste and quality of the milk was phenomenal.. :D.

Imagine that!

PS: Feel good story over.. we can get back to ranting :D.

_________________
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 2874
Location: Montreal
I'm very calm, don't think I'm mad at you because you drink milk. Reading a post on a forum board may be misleading about the mood and intentions of the person who wrote it. don't think I don't respect you. I respect people, but I don't respect all their choices.
I'm not condeming you for drinking milk, but for making the promotion of it on a vegan forum. I don't hate meat-eaters, I have compassion for them, they need help and the animals they are killing need our help also. Even the serial killers and rapists, we should not hate them but love them, because they are the ones who need it the most. They cause misery because they suffer a lot.
As for the differences between veganism and vegetarianism, there are many and they are not tiny, insignificant differencies like you're trying to say. Veganism makes no harm, while vegetarianism causes misery and death to billions of dairy cows and chickens. Don't forget what I said, humans are not supposed to drink milk, except human babies drinking breast milk. That's all we need to know. But if you wanna argue, yes they drink milk in India. But in China, and most Asian people, are highly lactose intolerant. Chinese love the American way, so they started to drink more and more milk and are maybe more adapted to it now. But the gene that allows to digest lactose is still fairly new, not more than 6,000 years old, a small fraction of the mankind history. And no need to replace milk with "superfoods".
I'm a Pitta and milk and cheese were causing me lots of mucus.
I have a friend from India, told me many Indians are not veg, they just don't eat cow meat.

_________________
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:42 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 594
Location: TX+CA > Migrated > India
I'm Your Man wrote:
I'm very calm, don't think I'm mad at you because you drink milk. Reading a post on a forum board may be misleading about the mood and intentions of the person who wrote it. don't think I don't respect you. I respect people, but I don't respect all their choices.

I'm not condeming you for drinking milk, but for making the promotion of it on a vegan forum. I don't hate meat-eaters, I have compassion for them, they need help and the animals they are killing need our help also. Even the serial killers and rapists, we should not hate them but love them, because they are the ones who need it the most. They cause misery because they suffer a lot.

Good to hear that. I guess tonality seldom gets across. I hope the wrong tone did not get conveyed from my side.

I am sharing my perspective & learnings with someone who is eating fish/eggs because and wants to transition the VEG side.. be it VEG-an or VEG-atarian... The question of which is a better option... is debatable.. You hold to your perspective and I to mine. At the end of the day it all depends on whose FACTS & RESEARCH does one person go with.. ? You may rely on some study.. I rely on Ayurveda.. Why? Tons of reasons that can be outlined.. but I'll save it for someone who's interested.. in Ayurveda.

Fact, is I had decreased and almost eliminated my Milk consumption due to reading so much of the Lactose issue when I lived in the US.
I had GAINED tons of bad weight as well when in the US... so I knew something was messed with the Milk & other foods in the US. It was US FOOD PROCESSING.

After spending 2 years full time reading Ayurveda, studying it and meeting very senior experts.. I have a changed stance.


As for the differences between veganism and vegetarianism, there are many and they are not tiny, insignificant differencies like you're trying to say.

I am not trying to say, I am saying it. :) If we had a forum named "vegetarian" BB I wouldnt go ant-vegan on you. Which is why most Vegetarians and Vegans tend to work together and get alone.

Potayto..Potaato.. I see all religions and faiths having the same threads.. Many dont. The human mind is such that if you search for square pegs then you wont see any round ones. Pretty much any study with a Bias at the start can be proven correctly.

In fact, vegetarian traits in the west were learnt from the cultures in the east. As I said.. even PETA sees veggies together. Hence GoVeg.. not GoVegan. Unite and bring under one umbrella.


Quote:
I have a friend from India, told me many Indians are not veg, they just don't eat cow meat.


What is Many? There are always people who are not veg... India has one of the largest oldest vegetarian populations in the world. Case in point.
.. Problem is people who want to try meat delicacies will find all ways to get around to eating it... so they escape their own guilt by saying they dont eat the Cow i.e. Beef but are okay with other meats. Thats the sad Indian way out...


Quote:
Veganism makes no harm, while vegetarianism causes misery and death to billions of dairy cows and chickens.

- I disagree with this completely.
- Chickens I dont eat so thats out.
- In the US or the west.. & factory farms.. yes.. Cows are mistreated. This has to change.
- India has had a tradition to revere the cow. The highest God/ Savior in Indian culture was a Cow Herder.. Holy Cow! It is said that after Humans the highest level of consciousness exisits in Cows. This is the fundamental..
Ayurveda & scriptures for 1000s of years have been against consumption of any kind of animal / fish/ meat/eggs. These items are in-harmonious for the human consciousness & body.

I know tons of Jain/ Gujrati people who wouldnt touch an egg or potato or onion... who are gorging down Taco bell Beef delights once they moved to America. Their parents might be lied to that they are still veg.

Do you know why they dont eat potatoes or any undergound roots.. They fear eating any microbial entities.. In some odd way you are eating these micro-lives. So now they can have a higher moral ground than you if they chose to.. lol!


Quote:
Don't forget what I said, humans are not supposed to drink milk, except human babies drinking breast milk. That's all we need to know. But if you wanna argue, yes they drink milk in India. But in China, and most Asian people, are highly lactose intolerant. Chinese love the American way, so they started to drink more and more milk and are maybe more adapted to it now. But the gene that allows to digest lactose is still fairly new, not more than 6,000 years old, a small fraction of the mankind history.


As I said.. we have some 5000 years over you in being Veg.. So, you choose your way and we choose ours.

So says your research and sources (50 or 100 years old), not mine 5000 years and more. In fact, everything in Ayurveda is so precise that most things that now Big Pharma are trying to Patent: Turmeric, Neem, Digestive Herbs & Spices etc... are part of daily life in India. It was so integrated.


Quote:
I'm a Pitta and milk and cheese were causing me lots of mucus.


Did you even READ what I posted above on Ayurvedas outline on Milk? I've marked it in colors.


Bottom line: Base for all our debates are BASIS. You find your basis in studies of the last 20/50 years.. I've looked at them as well.. But, I have also researched Ayurveda.. I find my BASIS there. :D And that may always differ.

_________________
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:16 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 2874
Location: Montreal
I don't know what you are talking about, I didn't write my post based on any studies. Lactose intolerance and allergy to casein is the truth and the reality, not studies. I know that in India it is very easy to eat vegetarian meals in all houses and restaurants, but many people there eat pork, chicken, because they are not "holy".
I know about Ayurveda, I,m a Thai massage therapist, I give vedic nutrition recommandations, yoga and lifestyle advice for each body type, etc.

_________________
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:23 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 594
Location: TX+CA > Migrated > India
Lactose intolerance and allergy to casein is the truth and the reality, not studies.

I guess to each his own truth and reality. As per my 80+ year old Vaid and another 60+ year old Vaid.. Milk has its pros & cons.. But is beneficial for me and several people.

_________________
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:45 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 2874
Location: Montreal
crashnburn wrote:
Milk has its pros & cons.. But is beneficial for me and several people.
It cannot be beneficial if it has "cons". Organic fresh fruits and vegetables only have pros.
Concerning ayurvedic diet, I like it and use it, mixed with other diets like veganism, low-fat raw vegan, Taoist nutrition, etc. Many Indian meals are not Satvic, most Indians eat way too spicy, we can smell the spices coming out of their skin because their body detoxify of all those spices.

_________________
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:02 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 594
Location: TX+CA > Migrated > India
I'm Your Man wrote:
crashnburn wrote:
Milk has its pros & cons.. But is beneficial for me and several people.
It cannot be beneficial if it has "cons". Organic fresh fruits and vegetables only have pros.
Concerning ayurvedic diet, I like it and use it, mixed with other diets like veganism, low-fat raw vegan, Taoist nutrition, etc. Many Indian meals are not Satvic, most Indians eat way too spicy, we can smell the spices coming out of their skin because their body detoxify of all those spices.


There's a lot more to Ayurveda that I dont think you have a grip on, as yet.

Everything has V, P & K... Every item in Ayurveda has Indications & Contra-Indications.
Each food item is not recommended for every person. Its based on body type.
Different dairy products are recommended for different people in varying proportions
Even fresh fruits & vegetables have their Cons.. If they aggravate V, P, K.
Anything in excess or OUT OF BALANCE with your body can imbalance the body as per Ayurveda.

Sattvic, Rajsic, Tamsic is a different balance & scale as compared to V, P, K. They are completely separate quality factors but combinations of these factors can be done for a persons diet.

Meals that are not Sattvic can be pretty healthy as long as they are V, P, K balanced and not super high rajas, tamas.

Sattvic, Rajasic, Tamasic is a quality of energy... whereas
V, P, K are qualities of '5 basic elements' combined in different forms...

Most Indians do eat too spicy..(sadly) because Red/Green Chili infiltrated these diets and its especially not recommended for Pitta types. But the "principle" herbs & spices.. and their usage in most dishes.. is a mark of great food fundamentals passed on from Ayurveda;
e.g. Turmeric, Hing, Rai, Jeera, Dhaniya (Right amounts.. they are best digestive herbs)..
(look up their english names)

PS: There is no such thing as Ayurvedic Diet (like vegan, raw.. any extreme fad diet etc). Ayurveda is all-encompassing and has guiding fundamentals around everything...

In fact, it can account for pretty much every positive or negative results anyone has had with any food.. or any diet they have had/ tried. Because of the fundamental premise that no food is a perfect or imperfect in any & every scenario.

PS: The herbs that fix gas issues & induce better digestion for any Veggies, beans, chick peas, legumes & lentils... or anything else.. have been documented in Ayurveda for 1000s of years...
Doesnt mean every Indian is eating as per Ayurveda guidelines...
But probably the reason why BLAND eating Europeans & the rest of the world went to India & the east to trade spices... Funny that they made a company just for INDIA.. East India Company.

PS: Yeah.. I dont like the extra spicy smell.. but it was much better than the fish, eggs, chicken & barbeque smells of Death that I had to endure in the US of A.. Man I used to walk away from those grills..

_________________
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:58 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:49 am
Posts: 37
Hm, how it comes if I search for my Vata Type, that many sites recommend different food?? Some sites say I can eat milk products, the other site tells me I can't and so on?!

I'm your man could you please give me an accurate list because you are into it? Would be nice.

_________________
Use it or lose it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 2874
Location: Montreal
Well general rules in Ayurveda are opposites heal, and: like increases like... You don't wanna increase what you already are, so you need to search for the opposites of what you are to find equilibrium. So, your dominant dosha is Vata (but with some Pitta for sure, and a bit of Kapha), so you're main elements are Air & Ether, and then some Fire & Water, and then Earth. Vata's elements are light and Yin, dry...., so your body and mind also are, and you need to get foods that are the opposite, to balance your body and mind. So, heavy, wet and Yang foods are good . Oils, fatty food, high calorie foods... Prefer hot drinks over cold drinks and cooked food over raw food.
Best Rasa (taste) for Vatas are salty and sour (acid). Vata diet must be warming, calming, grounding and nourishing. Some curry dhal dishes with root vegetable stews, vegetable oils, rice, oatmeal, pastas, soy... Eat calmly, frequent small meals and at regular times.

Concerning your question on milk; milk is said to be Sattvic and recommanded for all 3 doshas, but in moderation for Kapha people.
Vata: most dairy is good, particularly sour products. Butter, cottage cheese, milk (warm), etc... Avoid hard cheese and powdered milk.

It is shorter to list the foods to avoid or eat in small amount rather than the long list of foods that are beneficial for you. Raw apples, dried fruits. artichoke, kale, celery, raw leafy greens, mushrooms. Dry cereals, couscous, granola, white flour and white sugar, spelt. Black beans, chick peas; other beans: fava, navy, kidney, pinto. split peas. Popcorn. dont eat too much psyllium seeds. cayenne, dill, fenugreek, salt. alcohol, apple juice, caffeine, carbonated drinks, cranberry juice, cold dairy. herbal teas to avoid: dandelion, ginseng, hibiscus.

You can ask Crashnburn for more details, he knows about Ayurveda better than me.

_________________
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:49 am
Posts: 37
Hey thanks a much!

So this is the list of food to avoid, but when I read it and I want to be a vegan, what's left to eat for me?? Almost all beans are out, no spelt, hm.

@crashnburn could you help me out too?

_________________
Use it or lose it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:06 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:45 am
Posts: 600
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
this is very interesting, your little argument about milk here. There are also many people here in Balkans that live in mountains and eat almost only milk from their naturally raised goats or cows, and some WHITE bread or corn bread with it, and they live over 90 years. On the other hand, there are also some among them that get cancer. Both facts doesn't prove anything, either that milk is good, or that milk is bad. I think you concentrate too much on food. Of course, food is important, but there are also other things that can make you sick, or increase your yin or vatha or whatever. Anger or sadness can make your body acidic and sick, even if you eat only good foods. And then, there are also other factors for longevity, like the quality of air, water, your economic status, etc.
AND MY OPINION ABOUT MILK: I don't know if it's good or bad (in fact, I know cow milk is bad for me personally, and with goat milk I feel fine) , but I will certainly not drink it, since only milk I have access to is the commercial one, the one from mistreated cows and goats. So I will not drink it. If I ever go to rural mountain area, where a crooked old village man offers me a glass of raw milk from his happy goats that run along green hills all day, maybe I'll accept it. But the milk in stores, even if organic, is always from mistreated animals.

_________________
My progress pics: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21924
My training diary: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22216


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:10 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Auckland, Aotearoa/New Zealand
vege wrote:
AND MY OPINION ABOUT MILK: I don't know if it's good or bad (in fact, I know cow milk is bad for me personally, and with goat milk I feel fine) , but I will certainly not drink it, since only milk I have access to is the commercial one, the one from mistreated cows and goats. So I will not drink it. If I ever go to rural mountain area, where a crooked old village man offers me a glass of raw milk from his happy goats that run along green hills all day, maybe I'll accept it. But the milk in stores, even if organic, is always from mistreated animals.


I'm very much in agreement with this.

_________________
Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential.
- Bruce Lee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My little experiment...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Posts: 2874
Location: Montreal
VEGETA wrote:
Hey thanks a much!

So this is the list of food to avoid, but when I read it and I want to be a vegan, what's left to eat for me?? Almost all beans are out, no spelt, hm.

There's over a dozen different types of common grains and beans, and much more that we never heard of or cannot find in american food stores.
Beans good for Vata: red lentills, mung beans, soy, and you can eat those in moderation: tofu,
peanuts, adzuki beans, lima bean.
Grains good for Vata: basmati rice, brown rice, oats, quinoa, wheat, whole wheat. Ok but in moderation: amaranth, bulgur, couscous. Always choose whole grains.

_________________
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group